Call of the Shepherd ( Monroe Tune)

1. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I ran across this lesser known Monroe Tune for the first time earlier this week. I was moved by it. It has that 'feeling' to it. You Monroe fans understand! The recording was made of Big Mon in what seems to be a visit with friends or a small jam. He said he never recorded it. The clip is short and the quality isn't the best but it is Monroe in raw form.
    I am planning on recording for the first time. It will be a collection of Sacred #'s. This tune will now be on it Lord willing! Here is my attempt at it.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is a really good one. You're right about it being a little known tune. I think you might be the only one on all of You Tube with a version of it. I'd really like to hear your collection of sacred tunes when you get it done.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Besides being unique, it is also a surveillance video revealing who's eating all those picks you drop on the carpet
  4. jamann
    jamann
    Tim,
    I just came across your video. Really enjoyed your version here. Really has that Monroe feel to it. I've got to learn this one! I was convinced that I heard this tune before and after searching my itunes I was correct. It's on the Sleeping Lady CD by Jim Moss featuring Frank Wakefield. Check it out below! Great CD by the way. I'd love to hear the Monroe version you have.
    Thanks!
    jamann

https://soundcloud.com/mandojamann/call-of-the-shepherd
  5. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Jmann, Thanks for the post!! I heard the song on a small clip of Monroe discussing it with a friend. He played a phrase of it. THe sound wasn't the best but I was just taken by it. I guess I missed this recording when searching for it. This is exciting for a Monroe fan like I am. I would LOVE to here Compton tear into this tune.
    I am not done with this tune by a long shot. I recorded it here in haste for some feedback. This studio version will really help me get a better grasp of the tune. I have some recording equipment I plan on using this winter to record a some Gospel #'s. This will be be one the instrumentals. NOt sure if 'Big Mon' was referring 'a shepherd' or 'The Great Shepherd'. To me its a good fit!
    BTW, this song is definitely going on the iPod!!!
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Tim, look forward to hearing some tunes recorded with a decent microphone. Your current setup doesn't do justice to your ability (with respect, it sounds like you are playing in the washroom )
  7. jamann
    jamann
    Tim,
    Could that recording of Monroe playing this tune be from the 1966 tour bus recording. It's a little over an hour of Bill playing one tune after another, mostly instrumentals on his bus. Not the best recording but a real gem of a find. I got it off a website that Rob Fowler turned me onto that no longer exists (bummer). I'm listening to it right now. I'm thinking it's on here. I'm sure I've heard Monroe playing this tune. Just got to find it.
  8. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    James, I was just talking to my wife about this. I really would love to when the funds are a little more on the ample side.
    What would you suggest and where is a good place to get it?
    Jmann, I believe that may be the same recording. That kind of stuff is pure GOLD!!
  9. jamann
    jamann
    Tim,
    I just use my digital camera to record my videos which I'm sure you have. I have a $70 casio digital camera and it works great. Check out some of my recent videos (eg.: roxanna waltz).
    I think it's on there too. I'll have to listen to it closely to make sure. It is pure Gold!
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Tim, I think oldsausage is the resident expert on these matters. I remember reading helpful advice he had about this on his website. Maybe he will post a link?
  11. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Always enjoy your posts Timothy and love to hear Monroe tunes I have not heard!
  12. jamann
    jamann
    I found a link to the recording of Monroe playing Call of the Shepherd if anyone is interested in hearing it.
    Enjoy!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/secretbi...f-the-shepherd