Week #223 Durham's Reel

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    To help Barbara while she's on the road, here's this week's winner, Durham's Reel. Apparently not a lot is known about the tune's author. Buddy Durham was a popular fiddler on radio WWVA in Wheeling, West Virginia in the late 1950s and early 60s. He recorded several of his tunes on 45rpm discs and EPs under his own Emperor label based in Wheeling. These tunes are available on a CD compilation today. They include Durham's Bull which is thought to have been written either for or by him as well.
    Here it is on mandolin...

Here it is performed by Flatt and Scruggs

If anyone has tab or notation, please post it.
  2. laura809
    laura809
    There is tab in Andy Statman's Teach Yourself Bluegrass Mandolin book.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Laura, that's a good tip.
    Scott Risner has some helpful lessons up on You Tube for Durham's Reel. It's so nice of musicians to take time to break a tune down like this.
    Here's the A part slow...

Here's the B part slow...

Here's another runthrough of the B part...

And in the first post you'll find him playing it up to speed.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for posting this for me.... in my busy-ness getting where I was going, I completely forgot about posting the winner!
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    No problem, Barbra, glad you made it there all right.

Hey, here's one of our favorite pickers, Jethro Burns, demonstrating this week's tune too. He does a helpful slow runthrough first and then plays it up to speed.
    http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/OCo...#39;s_Reel.mp3

For anyone wanting to download all Mr. Burns' lessons, here's where you can find them.
    http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html
  6. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is my stab at Durham's Reel.

7. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sounds good. I enjoy all your videos.

Kris
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Tim, you're flying on that one! That's super playing! I'd love to play this one at that speed.
    I took a few minutes to pick this one out from Scott's slow version above and wrote out an ABC since there doesn't seem to be too much notation or tab on the web.
    If you want tab, standard notation, or midi for this just go to http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php copy and paste the notation below, click submit and then choose what you want to convert it to.
    I hope someone will feel free to point out any mistakes in the notation. I'm sure there's a few.

X:1
    T:Durham's Reel
    N:by Buddy Durham
    M:4/4
    K:A
    |:A, B, C E|F E C E|A E C E|F E C E|D E F A|B A F A|d A F A|B A F A|E F G B|c B G B|e B G B|c B G B|E F G A|B d c B|A c e g|a4:|
    a b a e|g a g f|e f e d|c B A c|d e d A|c d c A|B c B A|G F E A|B2 B c| ^d c ^d e|f e f g|f e c e|e g b e|g b e g|b2 e2|e'4|A, B, C E|F E C E|A E C E|F E C E|D E F A|B A F A|d A F A|B A F A|E F G B|c B G B|e B G B|c B G B|E F G A|B d c B|A c e g|a4|
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=
    Here is a link to two versions on mandozine
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great bluegrass style pickin' Sasquatch!
  11. laura809
    laura809
    That was impressive Sasquatch. Here is my much slower version.
  12. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Impressive posts so far from Sasquatch and Laura. It's been so long since I've posted a video, I can't remember the process. Maybe someone can help remind me again how to go about it. I've posted a video on YouTube of this tune recently. Seems like I copy the URL of the video from the "=" sign and paste it somewhere. Could I get some help on this from some of the regulars here?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    What you do is, Post Message, "Go Advanced", click the YouTube icon and paste just the code from the YouTube URL in the box (usually the part that comes after 'v=' but before '&'). Then you should end up with something that looks a little bit like this:

Code:
    [YOUT*BE=CflblizqpC8][/YOUT*BE]
    Only it says YOUTUBE instead of YOUT*BE (I had to do that to get it to show the code).
  14. jordandvm
    jordandvm

Thanks OS for the refresher on posting videos!

It's been a while since I've posted here. I chose this tune to post because I've considered it a challenge to learn and I don't get a chance to play it in BG jam circles often. This version is from Andy Statman's "Teach Yourself Bluegrass Mandolin" book. It's far from perfect and not up to speed, but I enjoy playing it anyway. Played on a Collings MF5-V. I hope to post more soon. I do enjoy seeing the talent displayed on this forum.

Jim
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job there Jim, it is a fun little tune to play.
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here it is, a bit messy, but whatever:

17. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Jeez Tim. Cut back on the Starbuck's. Just jealous. Really nice.
    Once again Laura your a quick study. Almost as quick as your kids and cat.
    Welcome back Jim. Your mandolin sounds great. A little drier and woody than the
    normal Collings. I like it.
    David. You seem to like that new 'JAKE'. It has a great sound of it's own.
  18. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    OS.....You make it look so easy......economy of movement with your left hand. I like your take on this tune.....I'm sure Buddy Durham would too! Excellent work!