Week #220 ~ Old Molly Hare

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Old Molly Hare, which was submitted as an old time tune. I do know this tune; we play it in our band -- our version is a little different, as it's led by our banjo player, and what we play goes along with his version!

Here are some links:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=tr...MollyHare/0000

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww.../abc/tb16/0007

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...molly_hare.htm

http://thesession.org/tunes/424

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Quiet here this week so far. Everyone must be on vacation. Here's mine:

3. Goodness
    Goodness
    OldSausage - That was smooth and very musical. I dug it! I'm trying to find a good tab for this one. I like the tabs that also have the standard notation.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great! What instrument are you playing?
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Barbara - that's my new Jacobson. It is a mandolin, just doesn't look quite like they usually do. Here's a link to the builder's website: http://martinjacobson.com. Oh, and thanks Goodness, too.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice David, that's a very good version. Being still not on vacation I hope to post a version this week. Now I heard your version I know how to go on with it.

a couple hours later...

Why not right away, here's my version...

7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That sounds mighty fine, Hendrick - although, technically isn't that only the B part? Nice ending.
  8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks David. I listened to many versions, to my ears the A and B part sound so much alike. Maybe that's why it's so hard to hear the difference in my version, but if you listen carefully you might hear it The B-part is where I play the lower part.....
    I wonder who's chosen this tune, there are so much nicer things to play... to make such a tune sound good must be our challenge I guess.
    b.t.w your version is absolute the nicest I've heard so far....
  9. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Really enjoyed both renditions guys. I am going on vacation this week and heading to Gettysburg, PA. so I decided I better jump on this tune before leaving.

10. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    It's amazing that everything you play sounds like Bill Monroe... It's a very nice one Timothy with a very recognisable A and B part
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's a great arrangement Tim, works really well - good job.

Hendrick, I think the main difference between the A and B part is that the chords change twice as fast in the B part, and that the fun part of this tune comes from the tension that's created by switching between the two perceived speeds, like being on a horse that could bolt at any moment.
  12. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I guess you're right David. To me Old time tunes sound often very monotone and are not really my favorite, but I can learn a lot here. Anyway, it's one of the first tunes where I could use my banjo properly. It's a real challenge to learn banjo rolls
  13. katygrasslady
    katygrasslady
    OS,
    Having owned a horse that could and would bolt at any moment, I wonder at your sense of 'fun'. At least playing mandolin, we don't have to fear falling quite so far.
    Katy
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I bet it created tension
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Ha, so true!
    Tim, I really like your style. you give the tune so much personality. And David, you sure did nail it this week.
    Hendrik, you've got just the right old time feel. I bet this tune would sound great on your banjo. You're right, the A and B parts do sound a whole lot alike, especially since the last line is the same in both. From your version, I'm just now realizing what a fun tune it is to play in two octaves. Thanks.
    Barbara, any chance we get to see the Flatland Ramblers in action?
  16. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thank for the compliments Marcy, didn't you hear the banjo in my recording? I added a banjo track at a very low volume ( I'm a beginner you know)... Banjo starts after 13 seconds..
  17. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I really need to buckle down and add some rythm tracks. It adds so much flavor to the tunes. I recently acquired an acoustic bass so I have all I need.
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woops, sorry, Hendrik. I caught the banjo this time. I was just focused on the mandolin part, I think. The rolls are subtle and a nice touch.
    Congratulations on your new bass, Tim. What fun. Can't wait to hear it.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Jeff and I gave this one a run through tonight.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice indeed.
  21. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You two still keep getting better... This was an excellent performance on a nice arrangement!
  22. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Very cool sound Marcelyn, Really enjoyed it.
  23. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very good Marcelyn and Jeff -nice arrangement.
    Another old time tune = another outing for the Herwiga
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    When this song first came around I was high in the Sierra mountains on vacation. Today seemed like a good day to catch up. Here's Old Molly Hare with me playing mandolin, guitar, 5 string claw hammer style banjo and singing some really silly lyrics.

25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's so great! Love it!