One Seventy Nine (179) by Turlough O'Carolan

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    O'Carolan wrote several tunes with no titles and in order to differentiate between them they were given numbers. This tune is #179 which I call "One Seventy Nine", thus giving it a title of sorts. A long tune by any standard, it has 24 measures in the A part and 24 in the B part. AABB pattern it takes almost 4:00 to play it twice. This one works well in a set with Lord Inchiquin and is particularly nice at weddings. The images in the video are called photochroms, a color lithograph made from a black and white negative.

Here's the abc in 6/8 time, I play mine in 3/4:

X:179occ
    T:O'Carolan's Ninth Untitled Piece
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    C:MODERATO
    Z: By Chris Gilb into Noteworthy; By Vince Brennan into ABC, MIDI & GIF (www.sosyourmom.com)
    B:Complete Works Of OíCarolan (PB / no pub / no auth. / fleamarket find)
    I:abc2nwc
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D
    D3/2E/2F/2G/2 A2B|ABd F3/2E/2D|EFA B2d/2e/2|fg/2f/2e/2d/2 B2d|
    D3/2E/2F/2G/2 A2B|ABd F3/2E/2D|GA/2G/2F/2E/2 FG/2F/2E/2D/2|EE/2F/2G/2A/2 B2c|
    d/2f/2e/2d/2c/2e/2 d2c/2B/2|B/2A/2G/2A/2B/2c/2 A2B/2c/2|dEd FdF|{F}EDD D2z||
    dDF de/2d/2c/2B/2|A3/2B/2d FED|eEe/2f/2 e2d/2e/2|fg/2f/2e/2d/2 B2| (3A/2B/2c/2|
    dAd d/2c/2d/2e/2f/2e/2|d/2e/2d/2B/2A/2G/2 F3/2E/2D|G/2A/2BG F/2G/2AF|E/2F/2GE F3/2E/2D|
    FAA A3/2F/2D|GBB B3/2c/2d|AF/2A/2F GE/2G/2E|{G}FDD D2z|]
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This is another new O'Carolan tune to me. I think over half the tunes I know from him I learned from your inspiring performances. It's helpful to have them in their own threads too. Thanks.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I'll say that goes well with Lord Inchiquin! (which is another O'Carolan piece I'll have to re-practise, note to myself)
    Having numbered pieces is placing O'Carolan in a class with Bach, Mozart and John O'Dowd
    Your overall arrangement makes this piece twice as interesting as the pure melody would have been, especially where the melody dwells repeatedly on one note for a longer time. I suspect that also O'Carolan must have made more intricate chord accompaniment on his harp, which for some unknown reason has not survived in notation.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Beautiful arrangement and choice of instruments, David. You give it a fine period feel. Would indeed go well with Lord Inchquin.
  5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My special thanks to Mr. Hansen for sharing this tune and the other O'Carolan tunes you recorded recently.