Canyon Waltz

1. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Happy Mother's day to the SAW group. This one by Don Grieser has been bouncing around in my brain several days, and felt right for some reason.

2. Eddie Sheehy
    Cool rendition. That CD of Don's "Hillbilly Chamber Music" is a classic.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That tremolo is amazing, and perfect for this lovely waltz. Great guitar playing too. Hope your Mother's Day was a good one, Dawn.
    Looks like Barbara had the same feeling about this tune being a good fit for Mother's Day. Here's her thread started almost exactly two years ago. More excellent tremolo from her.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...394&do=discuss
  4. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Thanks Marcelyn and Eddie. Looks like Barbara and I were on a wavelength. I didn't even search for it, but I should have known as good of a tune as it is that someone would have done it.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing Steve and Dawn. An attractive waltz tune, but I can see no connection to mothers.
  6. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I guess it is all in the way you think of it. I think of waltzes as delicate and refined, which in turn makes me think of femininity...although to each his own. I don't think anyone hears a tune the same way anymore that folks play it the same.
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Seems like ik almost missed this one. Very nice playing Steve and Barbara!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great, Steve and Dawn! I'm honored you learned my tune. I sat on a rock about 3/4 of the way up the Salt River Canyon in Arizona and wrote that one. Hawks were catching the drafts and scouring the rocky ledges for prey, and deep below the sound of the rushing water made it all the way to the top. It's like a mini Grand Canyon between my place and Phoenix. It was so beautiful I finally just had to pull over and grab the mandolin and play something and this waltz started coming out.

It may not be the mother of all canyons, but it sure is a pretty one.
  9. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Cool, Don. I like knowing the context. It suited us just fine. I had it under my fingers mentally before I ever got home to the mandolin. Need to get Dawn on the Mandola on this one. A really great tune.
  10. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Sounds great guys. That solid guitar backup really fleshes things out. I did this one about 2 years ago.

11. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I should have Youtube'd this before hand. Nicely done, Shaun. Looks like this one got into a lot of others ears as well.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great tune and great picking, both really nice versions.