Week #209 ~ Sally in the Garden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is Sally in the Garden. I play a tune I know as Sally in the Garden, and another I know as Sally Garden. Doing a Google search results in a number of seemingly different tunes!

I found this abc as a tune Sally in the Garden on Traditional Old Time Music. This doesn't seem to be the one that I know as Sally in the Garden.

Here is a link to a clawhammer banjo site, that has a music file (you have to scroll down to find it) of the tune that I know as Sally in the Garden.

I found this on abcnotation.com from John Chambers' abc collection.

Here it is on the session.org.
    This is the closest to what I play...

Here's Annie and Mac on You Tube:

Here's an interesting version...

Here's a video of the tune played in a jam in a log cabin... look how many people are playing!

Here's a very nice version, just posted yesterday on You Tube!

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's two abc files. One is in Dm and the other is Gm. They are basically the same melody as the one Barbara likes but in different keys.

X: 1
    T: Sally In The Garden
    R: barndance
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmin
    |: z | dfed A4 | f2f2 e2e2 | dfed A2=B2| c2e2 c2e2 |
    dfed A4 | f2g2 a4 | a3b age2 | f3g fec2 | d4 d3 :|
    |: e | fede fede | f2g2 a2de | fede fefg | agfe d3e |
    fede fede | f2g2 a4 | a3b age2 | f3g fec2 | d4 d3 :|

Here's the second one:

X: 2
    T: Sally In The Garden
    R: barndance
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmin
    |: GAGF DFGA | B2 B2 A4 | GAGF D2 DE | F2 AF BFAF |
    GAGF DFGA | BG cG d4 | d2 de dc A2 | BABc BA F2 | G8 :|
    |: GA B2 GA B2 | GA BG cG D2 | GA B2 GA B2 | Bcdc AB G2 |
    GA B2 GA B2 | GA BG cG d2 | d2 dedc A2 | BABc BA F2 | G8 :|
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Let's start with what I recorded this morning.

4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great, Hendrik and so old timey.
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Hendrik. Thanks for the early example, already at a very brisk tempo.
    By the way, you are not eligible for any prizes awarded to first posters. You are shamelessly taking advantage of the time zone difference
    Michael, I like the Dm version you provided the ABC for. Do you also have the chords? (Dumb question, I know you do)
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You're right Manfred, I should be more patient with posting anything. I'm always so excited and enthousiast with every new tune I just can't let it go and start practising at friday-night while my wife and kids watch X-factor.....
    But I can't help that you're asleep at 11.00 Am in Holland
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    No matter what it says at the top of the post, it's Saturday, 7:55 a.m. here in southern California. I guess you guys have been awake for hours. Good use of time, luurtie and that's a terrific job on the tune too! Manfred, here's some backup chords.

Sally in the Garden

Old Time

Part A: 
Dm---|Dm---|Dm---|C---|Dm---|Dm---|Dm---|C-Am-|Dm---:||

Part B
: Dm---|Dm---|Dm---|A---|Dm---|Dm-C-|C-Am-|Dm---|Dm---:||
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hendrik, we'll have to get a ruling from Barbara, but if people side with Manfred on the time zone technicality, looks like I've got you beat by about ten minutes this week. Of course, that leaves Michael three whole hours to beat us both, so I'm not holding my breath.

9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice playing Marcelyn, and it's 7 hours earlier in mountain America so I defenitely lost the "first posters contest" with the new rules
    But I also think Southern California still has a chance to beat you
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    "Slow and steady wins the race," said the tortoise to the hare! Ha, Ha!

Excellent job Marcy!
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I doubt that Michael. I never saw any mandolinplayer use hare-shell picks.
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I agree, Hendrik. I think the most appropriate moral from Aesop here has to do with "sour grapes." Looking forward to your version, Michael. Better late than never.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I couldn't pass this one up. I'm a big fan of modal tunes and I'm also a big fan of Gm tunes which I think sound particularly nice on the mandolin. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the old timey feel correct but Hendrik and Marcelyn have that covered. Great playing by the way. So here's my droney, perhaps medieval version of Sally In The Garden. It's really 2:21 PM in Northern California.

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a great sounding version of this tune... and I'd swear that I heard a pipe organ in there! (You don't have one in your basement do you David?)

And luurtie, I used to use baby tortoise shell picks, but I gave that up because the little legs kept getting in the way of my picking!
  15. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow that's nice David, it sounds really medieval. And Michael, never experiment with living animals unless you take a seed-bird. Those are great pickers Some use a Blue-Snip I heard
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a great way to play this one, David. You get so much feeling into it. I'm with you on modal tunes. They're the best.
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice and unique playing, Marcy and David. I still don't know how to sound Old-Timey, but here is my version anyway ...

18. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    With an electronic metronome you sound very modern, and pretty darn good. Very nice playing Manfred!
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice picking, Manfred--that's such great tremolo.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent job, Manfred, and Hendrick and Marcelyn. I have to say, I especially liked David Hansen's version. I'm just reading it from Michael's tab here, but I was really enjoying playing this tune through and made a video. If I'm still playing it by the end of the week, I may make another one where I'm not reading it.

21. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow, playing while reading, I wish I could do that. Very nice David...
    It may sound strange, but I always learn to hum or sing the melody. If I can manage that, I must be able to play it.... Some kind of dislectic for tabs or notes I guess
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Luurtie - well I'm sort of the same as you, I have to get the melody in my head, but when I'm learning from tab there comes a point where I can kind of play it, but unless I keep an eye on the tab I might forget which bit comes next, I guess.
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I really like what you did with the A part, David. I'm going to work on adding a few of those bits into mine. The deep sound of your mandolin is great on these dark modal tunes.
  24. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Five very different versions - well done everyone.
    I am having difficulty understanding the lyrics to this song; perhaps some of you old timey fans can explain. Why is she sifting sand, who is the "hog-eyed man" and what is a dog's "biter" that can apparently be cut off without killing the poor animal?
  25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Marcelyn, there are some very cool possibilities with this tiune. Maudlin, there's an interesting link to the last song, in as far as some of those lyrics are also used in the Charlie Daniels song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". There are folks around here who could tell you what those lyrics mean, but they would have to shoot you first.
  26. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    David, thanks again for the ABC and steering me over here. Am I hearing the chords right on your Gm version as Gm/F/Dm?
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm not entirely sure, I was sort of playing it as if it was all just extensions of a Gm chord. There's a clear indication that it goes to F in bar 4, but you could still just hear that as a Gm7.

Or you could be more elaborate and have something like this in the A part

Gm / / / | Bb / Dm / | Gm / / / | F / Dm /
    Gm / / / | Bb F Dm / | F / Dm / | Gm / / /

but there's all kinds of ways you could harmonize it.
  28. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Might as well just jump in at the deep end? This tune is lovely - it just settled into my brain and I found myself humming it constantly.

Played on a newly aquired Gold Tone IT800 short scale - a little indulgence after a glass or two of a very nice red wine, and a chance finding on EBay

I'm going to have to get a better recording set up if I'm going to post more I think- this was done off the laptop's camera and the frame rate and sound is utter rubbish (I hope the sound is rubbish, and it's not my playing that sucks.....) (take 3 so not doing too badly I think?)

Jim
  29. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow once again some really nice performances. Maudlin i thought your tremelo was really good - 'tis hard that!
    all versions were very enjoyable although i'm workin' up wheel hoss this week... i have a date with a banjo
    njugbrek - sounds good to me.
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    There's that banjo! Very nice playing Jim, and steady foot tapping accompaniment. Hope we get to hear a lot more of it around here.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice Jim. You know, I think the only problem is you're in the kitchen where there's a terrible echo. Go somewhere with some soft chairs and curtains and you'll be sounding awesome. Contrary to popular songs and belief, the kitchen is no place for a banjo.

I had another go at this after I started looking at the possibilities for arrangements. Here's what I came up with:

32. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Awesome.... Seems a whole different tune this way David.
  33. jonny250
    jonny250
    Very cool David!
  34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great tune + lots of talent =
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I sure did
  36. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Thanks for the encouragement, folks- I'll see if I can kick the kids and dogs out of the living room next time........
    The folk festival starts today - http://www.shetlandfolkfestival.com/
    so I might not be here for a wee while.........

I'll be back.......
    Jim
  37. laura809
    laura809
    It's been a busy week, so just a quick solo recording from me this time. This is a really nice tune. I also enjoy the minor modal sound. OS, your newer version with a full arrangement was particularly awesome.
  38. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Posted at thursday?.... We were all worried Laura But you did very well on this tune! And again, that mandolin sounds amazing deep and warm.
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It sounds really nice played in both octaves, Laura.
  40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, great job Laura, really nicely played.
  41. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great playing Laura - you dont need backing to appreciate this nice little tune. As it is Old Timey I got out the Herwiga for some more Kenny Hall style
  42. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Perfect sounding mandolin for this tune, Laura, and well played.

Another great looking and sounding mandolin, Maudlin, and also well played.
  43. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I really enjoyed everyone's posts. Like many of you this tune got stuck in my head. Unfortunately, I have had severe tendinitis in my left arm and gave up playing mandolin for over a month. I eventually got a cortisone shot and that cleared it all up in a week or so and I can play relatively normally again although barre chords can cause twinges. Anyway, Lurrtie got in first so I'll challenge for last. See if I remember how to post the video:

44. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow, this is very wel done. Unbelievable how these instruments blend together so well! I think after all Michael Pastucha is right; "Slow and steady wins the race"
  45. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    So, it's been a while since I tried a video. Here's the way I play Sally in the Garden. I play it in A-model, 'cause that's the music I had for it. Learned it many years ago, rarely called at my jams though. It's my A3 with the Thomastik Stark strings.

You all have great versions! Love this tune in the lower key. Just a fun collections of each other's "takes!"

f-d
  46. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is my feeble attempt at this wonderful melody. It seems that I turn to mush when recording. I can play for friends, strangers or on stage with minimal trouble within the confines of my limited mando-knowledge. Put a recording device in front of me and its as if I had never played the tune. Please disregard the fumbles. I was tired and decided this video would suffice.

47. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice arrangement. There's nothing like a recorder to knock a person's self esteem down a peg or two. (It's been my experience that recording does get easier with practice... in fact, I think the effort of trying to record, whether successful or not, is a great practice tool. You really know what parts of a song need work and which are ready to play. I'll often stop and work on just a difficult phrase for a few minutes before I resume recording searching for that elusive best take.)
  48. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thanks Michael. The 'mental block' or whatever one may call it will (hopefully) be conquered eventually. I have played mandolin for quite awhile but haven't taken it serious enough. I have a strong desire to get better and learn more about music in general. Watching all of you here on the forum is really helping. I am in discussions with the wife about joining the Mike Marshall online courses. She may start as well! I have 2 boys wanting to learn mandolin too. I may end up with an orchestra of mandolins! Anyway, I plan on recording more and posting them for feedback. I will overcome!
  49. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I thought that sounded really nice. I don't know if it will help your mental block, but with me, the delete button on the camera was always so freeing that I was never too worked up by recording. Not to say I didn't take hours to get a clip I could live with, but I just let the camera roll and counted that as my practice time. On the other hand, the one-shot stage performances that you have no trouble with used to nearly paralize me with nerves.
  50. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thank you Marcelyn. I never thought about approaching it this way. This should help. And trust me, it took a long time to overcome the stage paralysis. I still get nervous but I have learned to zone it out over time. Its just part of the growing pains I guess. There is one thing making me even more nervous right now though. That is convincing my brain to understand Theory, Triads, Inversions, etc etc. Any suggestions on how to sink it all in?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast