Week #203 ~ The Irish Rover

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's poll had an Irish Theme in honor of St. Patrick's Day, which is on Sunday, March 17. The winner was The Irish Rover.

This is from Thesession.org:

X: 1
    T: The Irish Rover
    R: barndance
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    |: d c/B/A |
    G2 B>c d2 ga | bc'/b/ af g2 fe | d2 ed B2 cB | A2 d>e dc c/B/A |
    G2 Bc d2 g>a | b2 a>f g2 fe | d2 fg a2 fd | g4- g :|
    |: d ga |
    b2 ga bc'/b/ gb | ab/a/ g/f/e d2 ef | g>f ga b2 gb | a>g fe d>c BA |
    GD/G/ B/c/d d3 g/a/ | zb a>f g3 f/e/ | d3 f/g/ a/b/a/g/ f/e/d | g4- g :|

Here is a link to a midi, notation, and lyrics on Traditional Irish Music.

Here are The Dubliners on You Tube:

hmmmm.... The You Tube link icon is missing from my options!

here's a link to it.... if anyone can get it embedded for me... thanks!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage

The icon's missing, but you can still click the empty space where it once sat so proudly.
  3. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    Here's an ABC which reflects the way I've most often heard the song -- and the key of D as shown here is often used rather than C. I found the ABC on JC's Tunefinder site.

X: 1
    T:Irish Rover
    R:march
    S:Leo Rowsome
    M:C
    L:1/8
    K:D
    {c}AF|{A}D2FG {d}A2de|f2ec d2cB|{c}A2BG {c}F2GF|{A}E6{c}AF|!
    {A}D2FG {d}A2de|f2ec d2cB|{c}A2BG {c}F2GE|{A}D2{G}D2 {A}D2||!
    {c}A2|d3e f2d2|e3c {d}A4|d3e f2d2|e3c {d}AG{c}FE|!
    {A}D2FG {d}A2de|f2{c}AF {A}G2FE|{A}D2FA d2f2|e4 d2||!
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I promise this won't happen again for at least another year. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just goes to show that almost everyone has a little Irish blood in them -- especially around St. Patrick's Day. Mighty fine pickin' and singin' !
  6. laura809
    laura809
    Very spirited! Excellent job.
  7. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    That was great fun! Well done!
  8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I'm not really into sea shanties but my friend Peter helped me out with his Bull-Fiddle. It's a slower version and I think you can hear I don't have Irish blood. Not many Irishman immigrated to Holland in the 19th century I guess..
    Nice version Marcelyn and Jeff!

9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your whistle and mandolin are so pretty in that one, Hendrik. That's an excellent version.
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Marcelyn-sounded like you were having fun recording that version Hendrick great singing as usual you would never know you have no Irish connection.

My attention has been drawn to an old timey musician called Kenny Hall who plays his mandolin vertically with his fingers like a double bass. This seemed like just the tune to try out his style
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Kenny Hall is the best! Are you picking with your finger tip or your nail? I know he grows two nails out for the purpose. I just wondered because It seems like picking mandolin strings with a fingernail would be painful but he didn't mention it, so I guess you get used to it.
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I am plucking with a fingertip, like playing a bass guitar, except for the tremelo which is done with a fingernail. Like Kenny I am playing a bowlback with very light strings and I keep my righthand nails about 1/8 inchs long.There seems to be no problem playing this way.
  13. laura809
    laura809
    That's a very interesting technique maudlin. I have never seen anyone play that way before. Nice version Luurtie. It may be a little less Irish sounding, but I was able to understand the lyrics better than the other versions I've listened to.
  14. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi all,
    Laura, I certainly agree, Maudlin is using a very interesting technique. I am now going to be brave and look for the easiest song to play the melody of! My mandolin mentor wants me to do less strumming and more melody! Any suggestions from you mandogurus?

Best

Vanillamandolin
  15. laura809
    laura809
    Vanillamandolin, look for a very simple arrangement of Old Joe Clark or Angeline the Baker to start with. One of the reasons I like the mandolin so much is that is lends itself very well to playing melodies.
    I almost decided to skip this one because I didn't really want to attempt to sing it, but I opted for an instrumental version instead.
  16. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I had the same problem with this song Laura, but after I played it I must admit it didn't sound that bad. B.t.w. Thanks for your version, it's nice and steady.
    Interesting but painful technique Maudlin, I'm curious if you can master that Kenny Hall technique. You would be the first on mandolincafe I guess.
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love the double stops and full sound in that break Laura.
    More power to you, Maudlin. I like how you're always trying out new things. Of course I had to give Mr. Hall's style a try when I first watched him play, but found it pretty unpleasant and nowhere near as melodic as your attempt. I'll stick with my pick, but I am envious of some of the advantages. As Kenny Hall says, "You've got to hold on to a pick, where your fingernail's tied to you."
  18. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Very nice job all the way around, everyone. Marcelyn your vocals made it.
  19. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Laura, do you think I would find a simple version of Old Joe Clark or Angelin the Baker on this list of songs herein this group? Think I would?

Also find the discussion on the use of the pick interesting. For some reason I feel I gain better control over picking when involving the fingers - so more power to you Maudlin!

Happy playing all!

Vanilla
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Steve, we had fun with that one.
    Vanilla, here's a link to the Tune of the Week Table of Contents...
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...413&do=discuss
    Old Joe Clark was week 31 and Angeline the Baker is here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...scussionid=610
    I just looked over the first group of tunes, and there's tons of great stuff. It's like that all the way through, but from the first group, here are a few simple melodies you can start in on, and these should be pretty popular at any jam or session.
    If you're into old time...
    Week 4-Soldier's Joy
    Week 5-Over the Waterfall
    Week 9-Salt Creek
    Week 10-Liberty
    Week 11: Forked Deer
    Week 14 Bill Cheatham
    Week 19-Cherokee Shuffle
    Week 23-Redwing
    Week 25-Midnight on the Water
    Week 33-Wildwood Flower
    If you're more interested in Irish Trad, I'd start off with:
    Week 1-Road to Lisdoonvarna
    Week 3-Irish Washer Woman
    Week 12-Swallowtail Jig
    Week 24-Rights of Man
    Week 32-Rakes of Kildare
    Week 34-Wind That Shakes the Barley
  21. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Marcelyn many thanks. Am going to look up all these and get there music and start playing, and also very glad about the Irish stuff! Regards

Vanilla
  22. Eddie Sheehy
    Better late than never...

23. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Ahhh. An Irish 'Irish Rover'.
  24. Killian King
    Killian King
    Nice Eddie. "If I should fall from grace with God on the Irish Rover."