Week #199 ~ Money in Both Pockets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one! The eventual winner was Money in Both Pockets, which was submitted as an IT tune. I'm not familiar with it.

Doing a search on thesession.org, I found it as both a reel and a jig.

Here is the link to the various settings of it as a jig.

Here is a link the the various settings of it as a reel.

They are different tunes, so I guess you can take your pick!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm kind'a partial to this one...
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    When I proposed it I had meant the Jig - there's a great version of it on The Portland Collection 1... but if a reel takes your fancy... not sure what Marcy found but if the shoe fits...
  4. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Here's a fantastic version.

5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's someone playing the tune I think Eddie had in mind on a mandolin:

6. Eddie Sheehy
    and its' a dance...

7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    There's just one guy in there who's dressed in a dreadful 20th century gray shirt and pants. Poor twerp.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    At least you watched it...
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I thought it was great, actually, kind of fascinating. And a really pretty tune, I love the wistful way it seems to end on the IV chord.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep, it stuck in my mind after I heard it a few months ago. I'll have something together tomorrow... I'd sure like to hear a BG version - some of those notes just sound like they're waitin' for a double-stop to slide up to them...
  11. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I've always considered this more of an English Country tune, rather than an ITM (ie. too refined for the likes of me...), but it is a nice one, whatever the genre.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It sits very easily on the guitar with a capo at the 2nd fret.
  13. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Crazy tune, once I've heard it I can't get it out of my head It Looks like I'm going crazy...
  14. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That's our own Charles Dumont playing his Krishot up above.
    He hasn't submitted in awhile. But, now I guess he has in a way.
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Quick and Dirty just to get something on the board. Played on a Rigel G-110 - probably the best mandolin I have ever played...

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent, Eddie, you sound really good on that. That Rigel has some nice growl going on.
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds really great, Eddie. You should spring it on The Backyard Boys and see how it does at a contradance. I like the mandolin too.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Eddie. Great sound from the Rigel.
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for the demo, Eddie. Sweet sounding mando, indeed.
    Wish I could already play it so 'quick and dirty'
  20. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Eddie, nice playing. I did it kind of the same way and figured out some chords. It's me hanging in the trees.

21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very well played, Luurtie, I like it. Here's mine, I fiddled around with the chords a bit to get it to my liking, and I managed to work in my guitar break, too.

22. Eddie Sheehy
    Wow! Excellent renditions Luurtie and David. You guys make it seem effortless. David that guitar-work is brilliant.
  23. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You can put that right on your cd David. Fine chord progressions and a very warm sound again. I bet that's a Blueridge BR40 you're picking so well
  24. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    luurtie, David well played and arranged, it's interesting to compare the different chord choices you've each made which both work nicely
  25. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Eddie Luurtie- excellent playing. OS also very nice. Did you overdub your mandolin at the end?
    Charles and I did this one years ago and I found the audio still on my computer, so here it is again with some different pictures.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's nicely played MM. What's the significance of the tanks? Anyway, tanks for all the nice comments folks, and MM I did indeed overdub a hillbilly harmony mando part at the end. Oh, and Luurtie, very close, it's a BR-60 - I'll take HPL rosewood over HPL mahogany any day.
  27. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    OS: " I love the wistful way it seems to end on the IV chord."

You don't have unresolved issues with this?
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I love this tune! It's so easy to learn, and sticks right in your head! What chords are ya'll using?
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Dana: we're all in suspense for your next witty quip.
    Barbara: my chords are probably not the usual choice - my A part goes
    |:D / D / D / Bm /
    D / D / A / G / :|
    B part:
    |: D / A / Bm / G /
    Bm / F#m / Em / G :|
  30. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Playing this tune isn't as easy as it sounds Barbara!
    I struggled a lot with the chords...
  31. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I used this from www.abcnotation.com/tunes
    I played Part A: /DA/D /A /D /DA/D /Em/A /
    and Part B: /D /A /D /G /GDAD/D /G /
    Good luck!
  32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great to see you picking again Barbara, and sounding good!
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Had to delete the last message and redo it, as my link to my video went on and on!

Surprise, a video from me, in my polka dot jammies, to boot! I'm having to read the music still, hence my solemn expression, and I'm playing it slowly, so those who like to learn by ear, this should help!

34. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Now it looks like I have precognition.
  35. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Well done Barbara!
  36. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice, Barbara! Good to see you posting.
  37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It's great to hear your incredible tone and clean picking again, Barbara. You're so right about your videos being helpful for those learning the tunes by ear. We've missed them.
    Clean and effortless productions from Hendrik and David. And a nice blast from the past Maudlin.
  38. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    O S No significance to the tanks - what picture would be appropriate to this song title?
    Glad to hear from you again Barbara.
  39. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hm, how about this one:
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    Hilarious!
  41. laura809
    laura809
    Eddie, that was a nice solid solo version to get us started, and the Rigel does sound nice. I always like to know what type of mandolin I am listening too. Luurtie, great version, and it's always nice to play in the trees. OS, that had a nice danceable groove and I loved the guitar break. Maudlin, that was nicely played. Barbara, nice tone and great jammies.
  42. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very cool, Laura, I like the way those two instruments sound together.
  43. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    So many good videos!! Great job everybody!
  44. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's a completely different interpretation Laura, wonderful! When I close my eyes I see the Wigs and Crinolines from the middle ages..
  45. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    This is our first post to the group, our attempt at playing this English jig. I'm playing a 1930 Vega cylinder-back and Bev is playing a 1920s Stella flatback mandolin.

46. laura809
    laura809
    Welcome! It is nice to see you new faces posting to the group. Nice job.
  47. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    Thanks, Laura! It's nice to be here and hope to participate more.
  48. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a cool pair of instruments and a cool pair of people playing them. Looks like you guys are having fun with this tune and the duet sounds great. Hope you post a lot more around here.
    Laura, I just caught your performance. That was a great idea to play the instruments both on a melody line. It works really well with this tune.
  49. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    Thanks, Marcelyn! We've been following this group for a while, and a snowy day here in Arizona gave us some time to record.

I've been enjoying your videos -- my favorite is the Barlow Knife one, with the kids playing in the snow.
  50. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I figured better late than never and too late to fuss with video. Pretty much drowned out the guitar but I am having fun. Now, see if I can post the video without help:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast