Friendless Mary

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I felt I played too much instrumental stuff lately, neglecting my singing (don't say I didn't warn you). This is a rather pastoral song I learned from an old Ewan McColl vinyl. One fascinating thing is the sad but happy-ending story which must appear naiive and even creepy to modern people - imagine some complete stranger approaching you, asking for your name and address...

The chords are
    D G A
    D G Bm A
    D Bm A Em
    C G D
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's so beautiful.
  3. justkaron
    justkaron
    Love this Bertram!
  4. jonny250
    jonny250
    well played and sung BH
    i could imagine you singing that one out in a woods somewhere, river flowing... it has that folky kind of sound.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A new one to me, Bertram. You really deliver the song very well here and the backing is just right for it. Great to hear a good Scots accent on this song.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You are blessed with a lot of talent! I really enjoyed that. Deserves a whisky!
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done Bertram!
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks lassies and lads for the kind words.
    Thanks for the good feedback on Scots accent, John, I am never quite sure if I get it right.
    Dennis, where can I download that bonus whisky?
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    a kilt and no knickers would complete the ensemble , very nice Bertram, i enjoyed that.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ach Gort, haud yer wheesht!
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bertram, I'll give you the download code when we next meet. It seems to be printed on special paper, so I don't know how else to do it.
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Bertram, this made my evening after a fraught journey home from work in London's rush hour. Cheered me up no end. Ewan MaColl was a bit of a lefty character and there is a great chapter on him in the book by Colin Harper: 'Dazzling Stranger - Bert Jansch and the British Folk & Blues Revival' with contributions from Andy Irvine. A good read and recommended......
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Always glad to help a frazzled man recover from London traffic PTSS, Tosh.
    Mind the gap.
  14. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Like everyone has said, quite lovely! Thanks for sharing it.