Learning tremolo

1. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Hello, all
    I posted awhile ago about being really nervous making videos. I got some great advice and put it to use right away. I turned my camera on while I was practicing tremolo and I liked the video so well that I kept it and I'm posting it here! The song, in between the mistakes is "Aly Anderson"...from the traditionalmusic.uk site. It's really lovely..well..played correctly it's probably lovely..lol..but it's a nice song to practice tremolo with.

I know - tradition dictates that my strap be tied to that curly doohickie on an F model...I am just not quite comfortable with it there, yet..so I move it back and forth...mandolin technical jargon: curly doohickie.
  2. harper
    harper
    very nice tune and I like your use of tremolo.
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice effort. Kristin. Here is my two cents ...
    Learning tremolo takes time. Especially the transition from single notes into and out of tremolo in a tune.
    Search the forum. There is a lot about tremolo, also plenty of links to videos.
    There are two types of tremolo:
    1. the 'flurry of notes', unmeasured
    2. the measured tremolo
    To practice the measured type I use an exercise from Marilyn Mair's book:

1. Start with the metronome at 50, quarter note equals a beat.
    2. Play quarter notes for a measure. (4 notes to the measure) only downstrokes
    3. Then play eighth notes, keeping them very precise. (8 notes to the measure) only downstrokes
    4. Then play 16ths. (16 notes to the measure) now add up-strokes
    5. Then play 32nd notes. (32 notes to the measure)

If you can't handle the 32nd at first, play only 3 measures evenly, repeating several times on each string.
    Do this every day for 10 minutes. And be patient. It is more important to play evenly with the metronome than breaking speed records.

Hope that makes sense
  4. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Thank you very much, Manfred Being self-taught, I really value the info and advice I get from folks like you, and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I've written down the instructions and will start doing this practice today