Week #174 ~ Cheyenne

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Cheyenne, which was submitted as a Bill Monroe tune.

I found these You Tubes:

Cheyenne played by Kenny Baker

Here's a video that appears to be an lp recording of Bill Monroe playing Cheyenne

2. jamann
    jamann
    Here is a version of Cheyenne I learned a few years back (2009) from Jeremy Chapman and posted on youtube. I figured I'd go ahead and post this and hopefully get a new version posted also. This a great Bill Monroe tune so hopefully we'll get a bunch of submissions for this one. Enjoy!

jamann
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That is a super excellent version of Cheyenne, John.
  4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    VERY NICE, John.
    Now that you are 2 years ahead it's easy for you to expect 'a bunch of submissions' in a few days
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is a great little tune, and I really like David Grisman's version which inspired most of what I did here:

6. justkaron
    justkaron
    Wow! David, that's a good 'un!
  7. jamann
    jamann
    David, That was some great pickin' there. I never heard the Dawg's version so it was very cool to hear a different take. I'll have to find his version to give it a listening to. I really enjoyed your playing on this great tune! It sure is fun to play ain't it? By the way your mandolin keeps sounding better every time I hear it. Must be the player behind it!
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much, Karon and John. It really is a lot of fun to play - I had never really looked at it before but the contrast of the first section in Gm and the second in Bb is really pretty cool as is the rhythmic change, and there a lot of things you can do with it. It's one I may well revisit another day, it's given me a lot of ideas. I'm still learning to make this mando sound how it should, it's just taking me a long time to figure it out
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very cool picking David. It takes quite some time to figure out how to get the best sound from a new mandolin and a new tune but this mandolin seems to have been made for your style of picking... well done!
  10. laura809
    laura809
    Nice work Jamann and OS. OS, I didn't know the Dawg had a version of this, so thanks for calling my attention to it. My version is based off of the Monroe break that starts at about :37 seconds in the Baker/Monroe version. It is simplified, and still much slower than the original.

11. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    Very nice everyone! Love that tune. David - the Silver Angel always sounds good! Laura - very smooth. I am very envious of how you keep your left hand hand position so well. Unlike my flying fingers!
  12. albeham
    albeham
    Nice.. Now I need to find the tabs....

Al
  13. llamela
    llamela
    old sausage, i cannot fault your playing. fantastic.
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent work by jamann, David and Laura! My version is played on a Kentucky mandolin and a Simon & Patrick guitar. I recorded the guitar first (capo at the 3rd fret) and switched to fingerpicking from flatpicking on the fly when it was time for the little guitar break. The mandolin was recorded second. Not an easy tune by any means but such fun to play...

15. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Hmm. Very inspiring, everyone! Guess I'm going to need to learn this one...
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job Michael! And a great bit of Monroe style from Laura too! Not everyone wants to take on a Bb tune, but once you've been there, you never look back.

Thanks for the nice words, llamela, I always look forward to your awesome videos.
  17. tezz8
    tezz8
    Hi all. I've just joined the group after viewing for quite a while, you have all been a massive help over the couple of years I've been learning and this must be one of the best resources on the web, thanks for that. I'd really like to get Cheyenne under my fingers and have found one tab abailable but the way I've learned so far is by watching a few videos and following a few different Tabs in order to end up with my own version (however slow and messed up that may be), anyone find any other Tab for this? Cheers all.
  18. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Did I miss this tune when I was already member? I listened to all your versions Jamann, Laura, David, Michael and there all great and totally different versions. A couple of years later inspired by Joe Walsh (clip on Peghead nation) here come's my version..
    https://pegheadnation.com/featured-v...ordy-cheyenne/

19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done luurtie! What a great sounding mandolin... perfectly suited for the tunes you play.
  20. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hendrik, really nice!! And again, great sounding mando. But then, you could make a crappy mando sound good...