Week #163 ~ Kid on the Mountain

1. laura809
    laura809
    This week's winner by a wide margin is a slip jig called Kid on the Mountain.

Here is a link to the tune at thesession.org with ABC and sheet music:
    http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/52

Here are links to a couple of different versions of mandolin tab:
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...e_mountain.htm

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...e_mountain.htm

Here are a couple of different versions from youtube:

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I did this recording 8 months ago for this other thread ...

3. Francis J
    Francis J
    I've been watching the voting on this one, and prepared myself for a quick contribution, so here goes.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow Francis, you and that band of yours are having us all toetapping mad. An ambush like that betrays thorough preparation and speculative vote forecasting...
  5. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=3211540

Here's a rare sight for you...Barney McKenna of the Dubliners playing Kid on the Mountain on a mandolin. Starts at 9mins in this video, which is part of a series called the Green Linnet and worth watching them all!
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    Too much time on my hands during days of heavy rain, Bertram. I should have held off for a bit longer, and maybe it might seem less like an attack!
  7. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Love the double stops, Bertram! Wow, indeed, Francis. Driving beat like the pounding rain we're having right now. Excellent!
  8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Francis, this is one of the hottest, if not THE hottest, IT performances I remember from my 2 1/2 years of SAW membership.
    And yes, it's a pick-brandishing ambush
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is too cool, Francis!
  10. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Mighty fine playing gents!
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    I'll resurrect this one and maybe try to add a TB version later...

12. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thanks for the amazing compliments folks, I spent a lot of "rain time" on this one and it's music that's ingrained in my head from the days of listening to The Bothy Band. The tune does it's own driving really, with the C part powering up to Em and then the change back to the G chord.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Amazing, Francis! There is so much beautiful and encouraging music on this group, but your rendition stands out even in this high-quality field.

The newbie mind similarly boggles at Eddie's playing. To keep such tight control over notes, harmonies and rhythm, to make it all sound so musical, and to do all this while standing up - all things to which to aspire.
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Really hot stuff, Francis. Now that's a performance to be proud of.
    Bertram, I don't think we needed even a pollster to tell us this song was going to carry the vote!
    Eddie, that old mandolin is amazing as is your picking.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune had a run as an "other tune" almost 3 years ago! Here is the link to that discussion.
  16. laura809
    laura809
    Bertram, I love the chords you put in. That was a great version. Francis, that has to be one of your best posts yet. That was a great arrangement. I love the way you played the rhythm part. It was a great driving force behind the melody. Eddie, that was well played on a very interesting mandolin.
    I managed to catch some interesting video in the background on this one. It's definitely going to be a challenge trying to keep up on these videos with the kids home from school.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job Laura, love the sound of that mandolin. And, I'll bet the kids have a new appreciation for that old expression, "she has eyes in the back of her head!"
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Laura, that's a masterpiece of concentration under the circumstances. I had one intrusion on my video as well - funny how this tune seems to draw distraction. But then, it's about a kid, isn't it? Now all we need is that mountain...
  19. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done on some fine efforts this week! Francis i particularly likes your version which seems to drive the tune along, good job
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I've been analysing Francis' video to find out where the magic is coming from. My conclusion is that everything is simple and straightforward, no fancy chords, just a few hints at parallel melody lines, but that is not what makes it the toetapper it is.
    No, the magic is all in timing and in timing only - absolutely exact, machine-like-synchronous pick attack from all instruments, like a droid army doing Riverdance.

Teaching us how important timing is, even if not all our videos can be produced in the Geonosis factories
  21. peterangell
    peterangell
    Hi again, here is my version - I found myself regularly speeding up in section 2, so resorted to using my iPhone as a metronome, hence the wire sticking out of my ear - need to tell you that in case you thought I was a robot. Also, as we are on the theme of distractions, I have also included an outtake, from Monday's attempt, at the end of the video for your amusement...

22. Francis J
    Francis J
    Nice playing Peter, and any video with a cute dog gets my vote. Bertram, your analysis is beginning to scare me!
  23. cwboal
    cwboal
    Well, some great contributions so far on this one. I've been on the road the last 10 days, so jumped on it pretty rusty and it shows. However, I've always really liked this tune and wanted to make a contribution. This must have been about my 30th attempt to get a clean version, but this is about as good as it was going to get for me.

24. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I can listen to this tune all day, lovin' this thread. I like the banjo at the end, Laura … very nice playing … tight! Nice family action in the background even. I really like your version, Peter. It's clean and solid. Of course the doggie at the end would have given you the vote no matter the quality of your playiing. Road weary or not, that was very good, cw. You have the spirit of the tune …. which is what does it for me. It's not an easy tune.
  25. peterangell
    peterangell
    That is really kind of you Loretta - thank you
  26. cwboal
    cwboal
    Hi Loretta, I echo Peters thanks for the nice comments. Your right, not the easiest tune out there, and the stretch to high B on an octave mandolin gives me trouble and is something I need to work on.

I've listened to all the submissions so far and think the variety of interpretations and playing of this tune is great. Gotta say though, I was just floored by Francis on this one.
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Peter, introducing time to your ear by a cable does add the tiniest bit of robot element; OTOH, machine time does not guarantee good timing: a guitar player of ours has one implanted near his heart, and his idea of timing can get most extraordinary.

CW, that OM has an elegant unique sound that goes well with the slower speed.
  28. cwboal
    cwboal
    Thanks Bertram. It is a Herb Taylor OM that I really love. For some reason, I was getting some buzz on this playing, probably just do to being tired and sloppy playing. I need to work on learning to mix in chords in the melody playing as you do; I really like how that adds depth and complexity to the tunes.
  29. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    great versions all. I've been away for a few days and haven't quite got this one up to scratch yet, but I think it's worth persevering to add it to the repertoire.
  30. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Better late than never!

31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A good example of perseverance Peddyr, and it was worth it, too.