Diabinho Maluco

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I had a go at this Brazilian choro, Diabinho Maluco - somebody posted a video of it over at the Academy of Bluegrass. Diabino Maluco means something like "Tricky Devil", which seems about right. It's written by Jacobo do Bandolim, who wrote and performed loads of this stuff. He died in 1969, and he was pretty amazing if you look him up. I'd never tried choro before, and I really got the feel a bit wrong, as Mike Marshall explained to me, especially with the continuous up and down strokes a la bluegrass tradition. But still, I felt pretty good about having learned it at all. I have the Diabinho Maluco tab as a TablEdit file.

Here's me:

And here's Dudu Maia playing it properly with his buddies

If anyone watching can play Brazilian style backup guitar or the pandeiro and can do a backing track for me for this at about the speed I was playing it (not Dudu's speed!), it would be a wonderful treat for me.

There's another thread on the cafe where our old Song A Week picking buddy Michael Wolf plays this tune very well here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...iabinho-Maluco
  2. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That's a great tune, OS. I haven't heard that Jacob tune before. Nice to hear some choro and some nice clean picking on that! I'm sure it takes awhile to develop the feel for that music as it's sooooo different from bluegrass. The Silverangel is sounding reaaaallllyyyy nice on this one!
  3. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    That was great David! There is something about the Brazilian sound that brightens the spirit.
  4. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job OS. I love this style of music. I have been working on a couple other choro tunes, Tico Tico and Nao Me Toques, for a while now. They are tough tunes and will continue to keep me busy for a long time.
  5. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well played OS, that's a challenging tune, not for the feint-hearted!
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much, everyone. Francis, you're right it is challenging, it took me several weeks to get the tune down and many takes to get a usable video. Laura, I was thinking about trying Nao Me Toques, Mike Marshall has three video lessons on his School of Mandolin site. It looks harder than this tune, though.
  7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Hi David. Very nice job. Looks like a lot of work. But, you made it all worth while. Beautiful.
    Why didn't Mike tell me a few years ago that I was a Choro player.
    I'm an ex singer who started mandolin for therapy, [hand not the other]and a musical outlet.
    I play the way I would sing the tune. I fight every day to get that 'up and down strokes ala Bluegrass' style.
    Now Mike says play Choro like you would sing it.
    Maybe someday you, Laura and I can start a Nao Me Toques thread.
    Gary
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Gary - in some ways that tune was easier than I expected, it's very logically constructed and that made it easier to memorize than some fiddle tunes. There are a couple of areas where the fingering is novel and there's a bit of shifting to do because of the accidentals, but that's about all. And now I've had Mike's feedback on how I should be playing it, I feel like I can probably get it close to right. What I'm trying to do now, though, is to play a rhythm part with the chords, and that is turning out to be as challenging as the tune, since they change quickly and I'm having to go way outside my usual handful of bluegrass chop chords.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is an interesting composition, David, and certainly one to challenge the player. Super version you have here.