Ode to a Butterfly

1. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I suggested this on the "suggestions for week #5" Thread as a joke, but then decided "Why not?" and did it for y'all. Here you go:

Ode to a Butterfly

Tab here: Ode to a Butterfly

Chris
  2. kristallyn
    kristallyn
    that s a fun tune..how long have you been playing? hope I ll be able to do that one day lol
    my fingers seem to not wanna do what I hear in my head LOL
  3. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Nice work Chris. Doesn't sound too slow to me - and very clean. I discovered at some point that it actually transfers well to guitar, too. Maybe I'll see if I can remember how that goes and post a version myself.
  4. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Please do. I wanna see that.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Chris, you may be no Chris Thile.... yet! Keep up the good work!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am not sure more speed would add beauty - clean picking is all it takes, and with that you already got the floor thiled (or the Thile floored?)

Bertram
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Don't be Thilly Bertram.....
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Are you kidding, Eddie? Bertram & Bill seem to be in a contest of Thillyness!
  9. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Kristallyn - don't feel bad, that's the story of my life. I know what I want it to sound like, but it just never quite gets there. On the other hand, I've been pretty encouraged doing the songs for this group - seems like I'm not doing quite as bad as I thought. (That's what I get for playing in a band with a kick-butt mandolin player - I feel like a rank beginner next to him)
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Actually I thought this was the same tune as The Butterfly - the slip-jig. Pardon my ignorance. Very nicely played Chris. Doesn't Thile also play the Swallowtail Jig? Is that Thile with a Smile... or Thile with a .... Anyone?
  11. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    If you're asking how it's pronounced, I believe it's Thee-Lee.
  12. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Fun tune. However I'm having trouble with the tab. It downloads fine, and opens with TefView without complaints. But all the staffs are mashed together, making this unreadable. Am I the only one having this problem? I've never had trouble with tabs before, although I've never gotten tab from MandoZine before this.

DWP
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yeah, me too, but I could tell I could probably never do this tune justice! If you can read notation, download it, open it in the TEF viewer, go to 'score' then choose 'options', then click 'notation' rather than TAB, and it should open up readable
  14. willh
    willh
    CelticDude,

I have had a few problems with some of the files. If you are using TEFView, go to the Score menu and click on options. Adjust the vertical space between lines in the General category. For some reason, a few of the files end up with negative vertical spacing. I usually set mine to about 10mm. Clicking the Apply button will let you preview the spacing.

Will
  15. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks Barb and Will, both of these worked. Nice to have standard notation; I tend to use tab more as a guide for funky fingerings (eg. on Japan, tab would have guided me with playing in 3rd position rather than in first.)

As for doing it justice, well, we'll see. Probably won't get up to Chris's speed (Travers, that is; Thile's is beyond imagining for me...), but I should be able to get the basic tune down. Maybe Ode to a Really Old and Slow Butterfly...

DWP
  16. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    As promised, my version on guitar:

17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, very nice!
  18. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Love it Ken! Awesome!
  19. Charles Dumont
    Charles Dumont
    I love this one.

20. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Ode to a Butterfly
    C:Chris Thile
    L:1/8
    Q:500
    M:4/4
    K:E
    z6 [ec][ee] |: e2 e2 e2 ee | eg fe c2 ec | Be [e2c2] [e2e2] ef | gg fe fe cA | Bf zB f2 Bf | \
    gg fe c2 ec | Bf zB f2 Bf | gg fe cd ec |1 BG FG E2 ee :|2 BG FG E2 gb | be gf eg c'e | \
    be fg e'c' bg | fe ec (3Bce (3gfe | f2 fg f2 fA | Bf2B f2 Bf | gg fe c2 ec | Bf zB f2 Bf | \
    gg fe cd ec | BG FG E2 gb | be gf eg c'e | be fg e'c' bg | fe ec (3Bce (3gfe | f2 fg f2 fA | \
    ^Af zA f2 Ag | fe dc B2 A2 | ^Af Ag fe dc | B2 Bc B2 BB | =cg2c g2 ca | gf ed c2 cB | \
    =cg ca gf ed | cd ec ^AB cA | Ag ec Ba fd | e2 [ec]e e2 ee | gf ec3 ec | Be [e2c2] [e2e2] ef | \
    gg fe fe cA | Bf zB f2 Bf | gg fe c2 ec | Bf zB f2 Bf | gg fe cd ec | BG FG E4 | \
    BG FG EA Bc |: =dA FE =DA cd | =Df e=d cB Ae | AA eA A2 Ac | BA GF E2 EF | =G=D B,A, =G,2 FG | \
    =G,B A=G FE =Dc | =df ed cB Ag | aa gf e2 Bc :| aa gf e4 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  21. dcdan
    dcdan
    wow, thats really clear and accurate ..at that speed I can see some of things I missed, You've inspired me to give it a shot....maybe just the first few sections. Well done