Oh, Groundhog

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    In honor of tomorrow's festivities, Jeff and I recorded one of our favorite Doc Watson tunes. If you haven't heard it before, it'll give you a few better reasons for scoping out groundhog holes than just a wether report.

2. justkaron
    justkaron
    Love it!
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Jeff & Marcelyn! Now that's old time music!
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's just great!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    We don't have marmota monax here in Europe, but if it came out here today, it would see its shadow and get straight back in, it being around -10 Celsius from cold air streaming in from the east (i.e. Mordor).

However, with such a lovely duo playing cosy OT, staying indoors stays bearable.
    I think this is Jeff's first appearance on the SAW group - very nice clawhammer banjo playing, very good voice! Perfect ensemble.
    Going to press replay a few times more...
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very nice performance. What do the festivities consist of? Are you going to " kill that dirty groundhog, been rooting round my back door" or is that a different song?
    The only groundhogs we have in England are the group by the same name.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Ha, MM, I had to Google those lyrics. Who knows, there may just be enough ground hog songs to warrent a thread for the holiday like we have on Christmas tunes. What do the festivities consist of? For the majority, I think it's a quick blurb on the morning news. I'd say there's a good amount of people who don't realize Groundhog's Day is gone until March rolls around.
    Thanks, Bertram, it's definitely Jeff's first singing appearance on the group. I think his new banjo has inspired him. Our winter is just the opposite of yours apparently. In fact, yesterday I was almost hoping Phil saw his shadow, because I could go for six more weeks of this weather.
    And thanks David, Michael, and Karon. I'll make sure to pass your compliments on to Jeff as well.
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Wonderful Marcelyn and Jeff, this has made my day. I have to say this tune brings back happy memories from performances from the JSD Band (Scottish group) who did a great version of this in the early 70's http://www.nigelgatherer.com/perf/group1/jsd.html . I'll have to play it now!!!!!!!!

9. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That was really fun to hear, guys! Happy Groundhog Day!
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What do you know? Today proved a little more festive than most Groundhog days after all. My mom, son, and I were surprised to get to pet one of the little critters.
    And Bertram, here's something I learned from the groundhog owner... You may not have these guys in Europe, but apparently the tradition was carried to Pennsylvania by German settlers who worried that if the sun came out on Candlmass (today) a hedgehog would see his shadow and run back underground predicting snow all the way into May. The settlers couldn't find hedghogs over here, so decided to watch groundhogs on February second instead.
    Tosh, that version will really get you going. How fun!
    And thanks, Rob, a happy woodchuck day to you as well.

11. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    Ain't been no winter to speak of so the groundhog can't miss this one. 6 more weeks of whatever or an early spring amounts to pretty much the same thing here. The grass is green and there's no snow.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the history insight Marcelyn. Funny that groundhog and hedgehog seem to have similar behavior with so different looks:

There are different members of the marmota family in Europe, too (called "Murmeltier"), but they are confined to the Alps and certainly won't come out in February.

Winter sweeps all of Europe right now, hitting also regions were snow is virtually unknown (see Istanbul below).
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, I'm a day late... I've never petted one, but I did take this picture last may, out in our yard!

14. Francis J
    Francis J
    Marcelyn and Jeff, that's a great video. I'm on my fifth rewind now........and counting!
  15. jamann
    jamann
    Marcelyn, That was great and I really enjoyed it! I've always loved this tune especially the version on the Red Allen ~ The Folkways Years CD featuring Frank Wakefield. Here's a link to it for your listening please.

http://soundcloud.com/mandojamann/08-ground-hog
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Barbara, you were that close to one, and you ran for your camera as opposed to your gun and ten-foot pole?
    John, that is one cool version. I hadn't heard it before. I love the way they do the chorus. Jeff's bummed that he only learned the "Two old maids" verse after he recorded this one.
    Thanks so much Francis. That's truely a high compliment.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, I wasn't that close! Just a good zoom on my camera!