O'Carolan Tunes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    Very cool Suzi! I wish I could play with your castangari for a couple days. It sounds great! Much smaller than the Gabbanelli, 3-row diatonic squeezebox I play. Glad to hear the hand is improving!
  2. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Sounds nice and a beautiful Castangari you have there, Suzi. I like their sound very much. I´ve just startet to play breton dance tunes together with a woman from the Bretagne who plays such a box. What a sound and presence.
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, they are beautiful instruments indeed. I never got the urge to play the squeezebox (other than concertina) until I tried a Castagnari. They are so smooth to play, and come in all kinds of sizes This one has a very sweet sound too.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very cool. Is that your own estate? And your own sheep?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Reminds me of an old Irish saying.. "Play us the tune you played at your father's weddin"...
    BTW, are you shearing those sheep or do we have to bring our own?
  6. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    wow David!! Another stunning recording I love your arrangements.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, awesome, yes! I'd like to make a request, of all ya'll who submit audios & videos. Could you please tell, each time what lovely instruments we are hearing?
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's one from the vaults, Fanny Power. This one was recorded in 1998. I'm playing a Santa Cruz OM guitar, a 56 key Wheatstone concertina, same unnamed double bass and my Lyon & Healy bowlback mandolin, this was recorded before I got the Sobell.

9. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Inspired by David Hansen, here is my version of Cremonea. There are a couple blunders in it, but sometimes you just have to admit defeat and let things slide!

10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Lovely, Kyle!

I found this abc

X:192occ
    T:Cremonea
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    C:ANDANTE
    B:Complete Works Of Turlough O'Carolan (PB - no pub - no date - fleamarket find)
    Z:to Noteworthy and MIDI by Chris Gilb; Translation to ABC and GIF copy by Vince Brennan
    I:abc2nwc
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:C
    AB|c2dcBc|A4ab/2c'/2|agfedc|d2G2AB|
    c2BABc|d2G2AB|c2BABc|A4:|
    |:e^g|a2a^geg|a2a2de|=gagede|g2g2 "^roll"c3/2d/2|
    e2{g}fedc|d2edcB|c2dcBc|A4|]

who knows if it's anything like ya'll are playing!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Carolan is always great. I play a fair number of his tunes, some part of the standard repertoire and some fairly obscure. The first two here have already been posted, but my versions sound a bit different.

Lord Inchiquin falls so nicely under the fingers, just enjoyable to play. There are various phrasings around; the one I play is from a score I found some years ago on www.efolkmusic.org, but that site doesn't look much like it did back then and I can't find the link anymore. Never mind, the version is not much different from the standard abc transcriptions that are around.

The other one is Princess Royal (also known as Miss McDermott). This wasn't actually written by Carolan, but an older English country dance tune which Carolan rearranged fairly substantially (the English source tune is also still around and played mainly as a morris tune). My version is based on how early Clannad used to play the tune circa 1973.

X: 1
    T:Miss MacDermott
    R:Morris
    O:England
    O:Ireland
    O:Scotland
    M:2/2
    L:1/4
    C:Turlough O'Carolan
    F:http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/ab...ss_Royal_2.abc 2010-03-29 22:38:00 UT
    K:G
    B>A |\
    G F E B/A/ | GF EB | cB Ad/c/ | B/c/B/A/ GB |\
    A/B/A/G/ F/G/F/E/ | DC B,B/A/ | \
    GF/E/ F^D | E2E:: B | \
    e>^d ef | gG Gg | \
    g/f/e/d/ c/B/A/G/ | F/G/A/F/ DE/F/ |\
    GF/G/ AG/A/ | BB e2 | d2 cd/c/ | B2 AB/A/ |\
    A/G/G/F/ E/G/F/E/ | D/E/D/C/ B,B/A/ | \
    GF/E/ G/F/E/^D/ | E2 E |]

Martin
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Comforting little concerto, David, both instruments work together like O'Carolan had composed it for them.

Now those pictures show a part of Ireland I've certainly never been to...
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lovely version of Blind Mary there, David -- I like how the two instruments combine.

I've also had a go at Blind Mary today, and as with the other tunes I've posted today, this is on my 1925 waldzither. Blind Mary is another one of those tunes (like Battle Of The Somme and Hector The Hero) where the ringing tone of the waldzither and plenty of open-string harmonics work well.

Notation/tab is at Nigel Gatherer's site here.

Martin
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is the sublime, but surprisingly obscure tune "Carolan's Farewell To Music", the last tune he ever wrote. I first heard this from the playing of Dave Swarbrick, who regularly featured the tune in his duo gigs with Simon Nicol in the early 1980s, usually played together with Si Bheg Si Mhor (this being the first tune he ever wrote).

I play it on a 1915 Luigi Embergher bowlback -- I find that the tone of high-end vintage bowlbacks goes really well with Carolan; it adds that air of antiquity.

X: 1
    T:O'Carolan's Farewell to Music
    M:4/4
    C:Turlogh O'Carolan
    S:Susan Lawlor, ir-trad, 3-98
    B:O'Neill's - Krassen Rev.ed.
    K:AMin
    AB|c2 BA G2 AB|c2 BA G2 cd|e2 de c2 BA|A4 G2 de|
    f2 fg e2 ef|d^cde a3^g|a=ged cAB^G|A4 A2:|
    e|gede g2 ga|gede g2 e2|a^gab a=geg|b4 abag|
    ^f2 fg e2 e=f|d^cde a3^g|a=ged cAB^G|A4 A2||

Martin
  15. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Hi folks,

I've been back home in Scotland for a short holiday, so I haven't been near my Flip Video Cam for a while.

Anyway, lucky me, I collected my new Tenortone on my way back up here, so of course I just had to show it off & what better way than with a Carolan piece, so here's Mrs Power (Carolan's Concerto).

I think it sounds quite nice with the Harp.

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You're right Dick, that's a perfect combination - the tenor guitar with its dry tone in the foreground, the harp's rich resonance reverb filling the rest of space. Very well done both of you!
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    O'Carolan's Welcome:

18. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here is a link to my mp3 of the first one posted : Planxty Irwin. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...3&d=1281798867
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fantastic Maudlin, that bowlback (I assume?) makes it sound very ancient and gives it the authentic baroque Italian feeling O'Carolan was inspired by.
  20. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thank you for the comment Bertram. I am sorry to disappoint but this was recorded not on a bowlback but an very ordinary Gremlin flatback. I use a clipon mike through a Zoom effects pedal so there is also a small amount of artificial sound shaping. I hope you don't disapprove.
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, Maudlin, sounds great.
    By the way, you can find more versions of this tune in week #46.
  22. willh
    willh
    Here is my attempt at a Scott Tichenor arrangement of Constantine McGuire. The mandolin is an Arches FT-O

23. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done Will. I like that very much. Any chance there is notation for your arrangement?
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Zoom effects pedal

Ah Maudlin, all rigs and vain trickery...
    I am feeling utterly deflated now - there is no such fantastic sounding mandolin?
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    Planxty Irwin and a little Bach on a 1904 Martin Bowlback Stlye 4...

26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Eddie for saving my world, bowlback-wise. I could almost SMELL it!

That Bourree sounds good, too. You should start an extra thread on that - if Jethro Tull could play it, why shouldn't you?
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice picking Will.
  28. willh
    willh
    Jim,

Thanks for the complement. I learned this from Scott when I took lessons from him this last spring. I don't feel free to copy and post it since it is copyrighted.

Scott was talking about publishing a book of his arrangements of Carolan tunes. He has a rather large repertoire. Hopefully he is pursuing that and it will be out soon.

Will
  29. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    O.k. Will I guess I'll just have to learn it by ear. Same end, just more of a challenge. Thanks
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like that version Eddie. I'm trying to keep up with your O'Carolan repertoire, but you're making it difficult. I've got to try a bowlback one of these days.
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks Marcelyn, I've been playing O'Carolan tunes on the tinwhistle for years and I find they have all now migrated over to my mandolins... ditto my old bagpipe tunes.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Jim, I'm also going to try Constantine Maguire by ear. Care to compare notes?
  33. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's what I got for a first attempt at the basic notes - my music-writing skills suck so feel free to make any corrections:

X:1
    T:Constantine Maguire
    M:2/4
    R:March
    d2|cBAG dG|Bcd def|gfe agf|gA Adc|cBAG Bd|c'b ag|fgfe def|gG Gd:||
    dBde dB|dBde dG|cA AB|cA Ad|Bcd Gd|FDE|defg ea|fgfe d|de fg ab gg|
    abc' aa|d'c'b c'bag|d edc B|d g e c|gf ga|d efg|g g :||
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    I think this closer...

T:Constantine Maguire
    R:March
    d|:c/2B/2A/2G/2 dG|B/2c/2d de/2f/2|gf/2e/2 ag/2f/2|gA Ad/2c/2|
    c/2B/2A/2G/2 Bd|c'b ag|f/2g/2f/2e/2 de/2f/2|gG Gd:||
    d/2B/2d/2e/2 dB|d/2B/2d/2e/2 dG|cA AB|cA Ad|B/2c/2d Gd|
    Fd Ed|e/2f/2g ea|f/2g/2 f/2e/2d|defg ab gg|a/2b/2c' aa|
    d'/2c'/2b/2 c'/2b/2a/2g|de/2d/2 c B|dgec|gf/2g/2 ad| e/2f/2g3:||
  35. Eddie Sheehy
    I didn't code any double-stops or harmonies since I rarely play a tune the same way twice...
  36. willh
    willh
    Eddie,

Thanks for the comment.

I found this, which is the basis for Scott's arrangement. It matches the Carolan book that I bought years ago.

X:096occ
    T:Constantine Mguire
    B:Complete Works Of Turlough O'Carolan (PB - no pub - no date - fleamarket find)
    Z:to Noteworthy and MIDI by Chris Gilb; Translation to ABC and GIF copy by Vince Brennan
    L:1/16
    C:RISOLUTO
    d4|cBAG d2G2|Bcd2 d2ef|g2fe a2gf|g2A2 A2dc|
    cBAG B2d2|c'2b2a2g2|fgfe d2ef|g2G2 G2||
    e2|dBde d2B2|dBde d2B2|c2A2A2B2|c2A2A2d2|
    Bcd2 G2d2|F2d2E2e2|fga2 e2a2|gfef d2d2|
    e2f2g2a2|b2g2 g2ab|c'2a2a2d'2|c'bab g4|
    dedc B2d2|g2e2c2e2|f2ga d2f2|g2G2G2 |]

Will
  37. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    That's the same as the version that I found Will. It plays o.k., just needs the chords/double stops. I'll share what I come up with Eddy. Just don't hold your breath. I'm a little slow on the uptake.
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    Coding the ABC was fun. First time I tried it. I used ABC Navigator to create it from listening to it by ear. I then used the playback function to get the beat and note measures. Apart from the 1/8 note value that I used (compared to 1/16 on Will's) they're pretty similar.
  39. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Yeah, I wondered how you generated the abc. I'll have to try that. I've been sitting watching the ball game with my wife and working on double stops/chords. I think I have most of it figured out. Close anyhow.
  40. willh
    willh
    Jim and Eddie,

I recorded a favorite Carolan tune last year and posted it in this thread. It is "Squire Wood's Lamentation on the Refusal of His Halfpence." Since taking the lessons from Scott, I wrote out my own version with double stops. I took the ABC file from the Carolan web page and arranged it with double stops. I intend to rerecord with my new mando and new skills sometime this weekend. I am including the modified ABC file, if you care to join me.

Will

X:213occ
    T:Squire Wood's Lamentation on the Refusal of His Halfpence
    B:Complete Works Of Turlough O’Carolan (PB / no pub / no auth. / fleamarket find)
    Z:Chris Gilb into Noteworthy; Vince Brennan into ABC,MIDI & GIF (www.sosyourmom.com)
    Z:Double stops added by Will Howard 8/20/2010
    M:C
    G/2A|[D4B4] B3g|d2Bd [D2B2]AG|[D4B4]B3g|e2de [D3B3]g|
    e2dB [F2d2]dA|[D2B2]AG [F2A2]GE|[B,3G3]A BG dB|[F4A4][B,2G2||
    d2|ef [B2g2]G2g2|ga b/2a/2g e3d|B2d2efgf|[c4e4][F3d3]d|
    efga gG [B2g2]|ga b/2a/2g [c3e3]d|BA [D2B2]dB [F2d2]|ed e2=f4|
    ge [B2g2]ed [c2e2]|dB [F2d2]BG [D2B2]|[B3g3]e dgdB|[F4A4][B2g3]|]
  41. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Good stuff Will! Thanks. Can't wait to give it a try. Of course it'll take me a month to learn it.
  42. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Here's what I have so far. Still a bit sparse early in the B part. I just can't focus any more right now.

X:096occ
    H:Edited Jim Baker Aug 2010
    L:1/16
    d4|[cE]BAG d2[G2B2]|Bcd2 [d2^F2]ef|[g2B2]fe [a2^c2]gf|[g2c2]A2 A2dc|
    [cG]BAG B2d2|[c'2e2][b2d2][a2c2][g2B2]|fgfe d2ef|[g2B2]G2 G2||
    e2|[dG]Bde d2B2|[dG]Bde d2B2|[c2F2]A2A2B2|[c2F2]A2A2d2|
    Bcd2 G2d2|F2d2E2e2|fga2 e2a2|gfef d2d2|
    e2f2g2a2|[b2d2][g2B2] [g2B2]ab|[c'2e2][a2c2][a2c2][d'2^f]|c'bab g4|
    [d^F]edc B2d2|[g2c2]e2c2e2|[f2B]ga d2f2|[g2c2][G2B,][G2B,] |]
  43. willh
    willh
    Jim,

This sounds pretty good to me. It is different from what I was playing in a few spots, but none of these tunes are written in stone. The only double stop that bothered me was the [f2B] in the next to last measure. To my ear, [f2d] sounds better.

Will
  44. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Thanks Will. There are a few that I don't think are right but I don't have a good enough ear to correct them. One thing bothers me a bit is that I'm not the following pure theory of double stops. I was reading that the melody note should be plucked before the harmony note, which is not what I have done.
    Yeah, the [f2d] does sound better. I guess it should be [f2d2].

Here's an update. I did this in tabledit. Question: In ABC Explorer is instructs to use a 2 to indicate a 1/8th note but tabledit uses a forward slash. But when you load an abc file from tabledit into Abc Explorer it works fine. Which is correct abc form?

Q:150
    d | [c/E/]B/A/G/ dG | [B/F/]c/d [d^F]e/f/ | [gB]f/e/ [a^c]g/f/ | [gc]A Ad/c/ | [c/G/]B/A/G/ Bd | \
    [c'e][bd] [ac][gB] | [f/c/]g/f/e/ [dF]e/f/ |[gB] [GD][GB,] |e | [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | \
    [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | [cF]A AB | [cF]A Ad | [B/F/]c/d [GB,]d | [FC]d [EB,]e | [f/c/]g/a ea | \
    [g/B/]f/e/f/ dd | [ec][fd] [gB][ac] | [bd][gB] [gB]a/b/ | [c'e][ac] [ac][d'^f] | \
    [c'/e/]b/a/b/ g2 | [d/^F/]e/d/c/ Bd | [gc]e ce | [fd]g/a/ df |[gc][GB,][G/B,/] | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Hmmm.....just notice that tabledit changed the default note length to 1/8.
  45. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well, I looked up an abc tutorial and it seems the slash indicates a note half the length of the default note length. Start again......
  46. Eddie Sheehy
    In ABC Navigator the backslash at the end of the line confuses ABC Navigator and turns it to mush.
  47. Eddie Sheehy
    \ = /2 ?
  48. willh
    willh
    Jim,

I am not much of an expert on ABC. I downloaded a tutorial from the internet and went by it. I know there is a lot of difference between your new upload and the first one. When I tried to get the second to translate at concertina.net, the result was totally changed, timing was all off.

I personally use Finale Notepad. It is a bargain and does a good job of printing out a melody line with double stops or even full chords. It can produce a .mid file and includes a midi player feature.

The theory I follow in adding double stops or chords is that the melody note is usually the highest pitch in the stop or chord. This means that it will probably be the last note played on a down stroke. Notice that I said "usually" because it can vary.

Will
  49. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Something is confusing me about the abc file that I downloaded. It indicates that the default note length is 1/16 but the notation shows nothing shorter than 1/8. The notes followed by a 2 would should be 1/8 but are shown in the notation as 1/4.
    When I import the abc file into tabledit it changes the default note length to 1/8. When I print off the notation out of tabledit, it looks fine and plays correctly. I guess I need to read the whole abc tutorial again as well as the tabledit tutorial. I'm missing something.
    If I was able to attach a file to this message I would attach a pdf of my printout.
  50. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I'm confused about the note length thing. The original abc file indicates that the default note length is 1/16 but the notation shows nothing shorter than 1/8. The notes in the abc file followed by a 2 should be 1/8 notes but are shown in the notation as 1/4.
    When I import the original abc file into tabledit, the default note length is changed to 1/8. When I export the abc file it indicates the shorter notes followed by a forward slash "/" which should mean "default note length divided by 2" which should indicate a 1/16 note. My headache is coming back.

Q:80
    d | [c/E/]B/A/G/ dG | [B/F/]c/d [d^F]e/f/ | [gB]f/e/ [a^c]g/f/ | [gc]A Ad/c/ | [c/G/]B/A/G/ Bd | \
    [c'e][bd] [ac][gB] | [f/c/]g/f/e/ [dF]e/f/ |[gB] [GD][GB,] |e | [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | \
    [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | [cF]A AB | [cF]A Ad | [B/F/]c/d [GB,]d | [FC]d [EB,]e | [f/c/]g/a ea | \
    [g/B/]f/e/f/ dd | [ec][fd] [gB][ac] | [bd][gB] [gB]a/b/ | [c'e][ac] [ac][d'^f] | \
    [c'/e/]b/a/b/ g2 | [d/^F/]e/d/c/ Bd | [gc]e ce | [fd]g/a/ df |[gc][GB,][G/B,/] | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast