mist covered mountains of home( chi mi na morbehanna)

1. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    http://youtu.be/-_KYWGwfR0U

chi mi na morbheanna

I wonder what you lot would make of it

One of my favorites, like everybodies, it seems

X: 1
    T: Mist-Covered Mountains Of Home, The
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Ador
    E2 |: "Am" A6 | A3 B cd | e2 A3 B | A2 G2 EF | "G" G6 |
    G3 A B2 |B2 A3 B | "G" A2 G2 E2 |"Am" c6 | "G" d6 |
    "C" e3 f g2 | "G" B2 A3 G |"Am" A3 c e2 | "G" d3 c B2 | "Am" A B3 "G" G2 | "Am" A6 :|
    |: "Am" e4 Ae | e4 Ae | "G" d2 e2 g2 | e3 d BA | "Em" G4 G2 |
    d4 B2 | "Am" e4 e2 | "G" d3 c B2 | "Am" c6 | "G" d6 |
    "C" e3 f g2 | "G" B2 A3 G | "Am" A3 c e2 | "G" d3 c B2 | "Am" A B3 "G" G2 | "Am" A6 :|

session.org

X: 43
    T:Mist covered mountains of Home (Chi mi na mor-bheanna)
    R:Waltz
    O:Scotland
    M:3/4
    L:1/4
    K:Am
    A3|A3|e>de|edB| G3|G2A|B>AB|A>GE |c3|d3|
    e>^fg|B>AG|A>Be|dcB|A3|A3||
    e3|e3| deg|edB| G2G|d2B|e2e|d>cB|A3| c3|
    d>eg|B>AG|A>Be|dcB|A3A3|

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww.../alfwaltz/0043
  2. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Wonderful sound Werner. Very well done. I am accustomed to hearing this tune played as a jig. Perhaps not the same tune?

I would like to find a good arrangement for the octave mandolin for this version.
  3. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I love that particular guitar arrangement. Makes me regret almost totally abandoning my guitar in favor of mandolin.

But I must admit I could almost imagine hearing a version that had the basic open-tuning groove going on guitar with a mandolin playing the melody part on top of that. That would really be something!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Far out. Very intricate playing with a lot of harmonic surprises.
    There seem to be little fragments of the Scarborough Fair Canticle mixed into it - can anybody else hear that?
  5. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    Jim, this is not me playing there. Wished it was. I posted this video because it is this style I would apply to my version on the mando, or octav mando. This is perfectly done by Tony R. Clef. I added 2 versions in abc, there are a few more available, especially for the pipes.

Brent, exactly. I would love to see what you would come up with on the mando

Jim, do you have another jig-version, and would you post it here , please ?
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I believe the jig version was the tune of the week a long time ago.
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    This is what I have. Sounds similar only a jig.

X:1
    T: Mist On The Mountain, The
    C:
    N:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:6/8
    K:G
    G | EAA ABd | e2A AGE | G3 GAB | dBA GED | EAA ABd | e2A AGE | efg dBG | BAG A3 | \
    a | age a2b | age edB | AGE G2A | BAB GED | age a2b | age edB | AGE G2A | BAG A3 | \
    age a2b | age edB | AGE G2A | BAB GED | EDE G2A | BAG ABd | efg dBG |BA GA2 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Here is another.

T:Mist Covered Mountain, The
    R:jig
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D
    ADD BAG|ADD EFG|ADD (3=ccc A|GE=C EFG|!
    ADD BAG|ADD EFG|AB=c cBA|GE=C EFG:|!
    |:A2d dAd|dAd dcd|A2d dAB|=cBA GE=C|!
    D2d dAd|dAd dAB|(3=ccc c cBA|GE=C EFG:||!

And another in A from theSession. Could be same as the first one.

T: Mist On The Mountain, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    G|EAA ABd|e2 A AGE|~G3 GAB|dBA GED|
    EAA ABd|e2A AGE|efg dBG|BAG A2:|
    a|age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAG A3|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    EDE G2A|BAG ABd|efg dBG|BAG A2||
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    John Renbourn and the late Bert Jansch are two of my favorite guitarists. John used to play this arrangement.
  9. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I fished around on The Session and found many variants in A-minor (or A-whatever). One of them was a waltz form extremely close to the version Mark Knopfler put on a Dire Straits album many years ago. So I was looking at the notes in A-minor and trying to play in G-minor but I kept drifting off into another tune altogether.

Turns out a song by Jim McLean called "Hush" (about the Clearances) seems to share the same chord progression with "Chi Mi Aa Morbheanna" and so now I have a version of that song in B-minor, as sung by Christa Burch, stuck in my ear. Funny how a good harmony+melody outline can hold your attention in so many different guises.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Brent I learned Hush Hush from Bobby Watt and recorded this version in 1993.

11. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    David,

Thanks for sharing. That's a great song and a fine performance. I have a terrible time hearing harmony but it does seem like the chord progression under "Hush Hush" would also work for "Chi Mi Aa Morbheanna" unless I'm mistaken.

Interestingly, the same melody and (to my ear) same chords are in Christa's version of "Hush" but the whole song sounds very different between the two versions, more different than you'd think possible with such similar notes, so to speak.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    One of my long-time favourites and a song my grandmother, a native Gaelic speaker, used to sing to me when I was a wee boy! There are indeed many similarities between this and the "Hush Hush" song mentioned, but then the Aminor to G major progression is found in many Scots tunes. Here is a link to my attempt, done with bouzouki and mandolin alternating and guitar and mandolin backing. It is posted on my Soundcloud page. Werner, have tried some ornamentations for your delectation!

http://snd.sc/tC1ugi
  13. Tavy
    Tavy
    David: really nice version of "Hush Hush", love the original tune as well, maybe will have to add this one to my TODO list!
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Lovely, John, that was very harplike at times.
  15. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    John, your version is my favourite of all. Probably because of your beautifully arranged ornaments, and did I hear your granny , Mrs. Cameron of Locheil, singing ? She is in it, surely.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Such a rich rendition. There's all of Scotland in there, John. Handkerchief, please.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    "Chì mi na mòrbheanna" (The Mist-Covered Mountains Of Home) is a Scottish song air, written in 1856 by John Cameron of Glencoe in Lochaber.

I've been meaning to record this great Scottish slow air for a long time, but was spurred into action when I came across a fabulous three-part harmony arrangement by Suzanne Higgins here:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/...ntains-of-home

This setting has a canon-like structure with echoes of the tune coming up in the harmonies.

I've adapted the arrangement for a trio of two mandolins and octave mandolin, using tremolo on the mandolins and the natural sustain on the OM:

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

I recommend you listen to this recording on good headphones to hear the harmonies building up.

Martin
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting version, Martin, and interesting choice of instruments once again. Love your pictures of the Glencoe area too! I've spent very many happy years in those hills here in my home county.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good Martin. And a fine demonstration what is possible with just tremolo.