The Moon & Seven Stars

1. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    A nice little jig mentioned by Niall over at Nigel's site, which I did this morning before the Notting Hill Carnival gets in full swing and drowns me out!

X:1
    T:Moon & 7 Stars,The. JaW.054
    T:Seven Stars,aka. JaW.054
    M:6/8
    Q:120
    S:James Winder Ms, Lancashire, 1835-41
    R:Jig
    O:England
    A:Wyresdale,Lancashire
    H:1/8
    Z:vmp.Chris Partington, Aug 2004
    K: D
    d2A AGF|GAB A3|Bcd efg|fed cBA|!
    d2A AGF|GAB A3|Bcd efg|Adc d3:|!
    |:e2A A2f|efg f3|fgf e2d|cdB A3|!
    BGB AFA|BGB AFA|Bcd efg|Adc d3:|]

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one there Tosh!
  3. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Nice catchy rhythm to the B part. Can't wait to get home and give that one a try, Tosh.
  4. Niall Anderson
    Niall Anderson
    Since the tune was my idea, I thought I should break my duck (warning: cricketing metaphor) and post a version of it. Seventy-three takes later... Mandolin is a spruce/ maple model A from Nigel Forster in Newcastle, UK.

It's certainly quite educational trying to film this - almost as painful to do as to watch, I suspect... Apologies for quality of recording - haven't really got myself organised for all this yet.

5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Great articulation throughout, Niall. Very clean and lilting.

Sorry, can't work in a cricket reference. I'd have to ask my brother-in-law, he's the family cricket expert.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great tune, Tosh and Niall. Glad you persisted to number 73, Niall, it was worth it.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff Niall, and your Forster sounds the business as well!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a great tune and played beautifully by all -- Tosh, Niall and David!
  9. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Awesome playing by all of you! I really like that Forster mandolin.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    oh, nicely played there David!
  11. Niall Anderson
    Niall Anderson
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. This is the band I first heard play this tune, Bellowhead. Just an amazing band to hear live - tremendous energy. Well worth hearing. Seven Stars is the instrumental break after the sea shanty!

12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Tosh, there's some electric fan running in your video which hums exactly in D - how did you get it to do that?
    (I am always looking for machinery that could play along with me)

Niall, thanks for the heads-up on Bellowhead - that's what you get when a folk band and a brass orchestra collide on a railway crossing

Good renditions all around, I might give this one a try when I am done with my current project (The Dawn).