The Clare Shout (jig)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    This is one of me favourites, a great jig altogether and sits quite nicely on the auld tenor guitar! Here's the ABC's from thesession.org:

X: 1
    T: Clare Shout, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |:AFD DED|DED B,DA,|DFA dfa|baf edB|
    AFD DED|DED B,DA,|B,2 E EDE|1 FDD D2 B:|2 FDD D2 E||
    |:F2 A BAD|FAA BAF|GDB, BGE|dBG edB|
    FAA BAD|FAA BAF|G2 B AFE|1 FDD D2 E:|2 FDD D2 B||

2. Grommet
    Grommet
    Nice Jill. The little parlor guitar has big sound. I especially like the clarity of the single courses. Is it tuned like a 'dola or an OM? or ? Also wondered what gauges the strings are. Thanks for posting.

Scott
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    It's a tenor guitar, 21 inch scale length so similar to my short scale Triple X tenor banjo. Tuned GDAE - the gauges are roughly .046/.036/.024/.015
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, I'm finally back 'home' with no grandchildren, and have a couple of weeks to learn some new tunes! I'm working on this one RIGHT NOW!!!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Awesome - can't wait to hear your version! It's such a jaunty wee tune!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is a great sound from that wee tenor, Jill. Another (have I said this before?) cracking tune!
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm so delighted with the volume and tone out of it - I'd read on another thread in the main forum where someone didn't want a 4 string tenor because he thought they were "thin" sounding - he's obviously not heard a Tenor Tone!
  8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Awesomeness!
  9. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nicely done Jill. I bet that tune sounds good on the banjo too.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Aye, it's a proper cracker on the banjo!
  11. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just picked this real likeable jig up today, played on a great value, cheap Ozark tenor, a nice change from the mandolin, though it will take a while to get use to the extra stretch.

12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That Ozark sounds fine here, G, and your playing of it is does not show much in the way of having problems with the extra scale length. it is a cracking wee tune and good to see it back in the group again after a year's absence!
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Gortnamona. That's the same Ozark tenor that I have, and they are really great value! Presumably you have yours tuned GDAE (as do I). I like the triplets you've thrown in. Have to give that tune a go.

Martin
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks John and Martin, for £200 i'm baffled how they manage it, solid top in all. i stuck a bone nut and saddle on and went up to 47 on the g string, seems to work well, these single string jobs are sore on fingers though.
    atb
    Lawrence
  15. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Nice, gortna! The guitar really does have a nice tone.
  16. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    The Clare Shout by Bobby Gardiner
  17. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    I love bobby's playing and lilting. Will have to relearn this tune
  18. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    hope you's don't mind but just relearned this tune again yesterday, so thought i would give it a quick scalp through on the mandolin, it seems every time i learn a new tune i forget all that's went before.

19. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Gort.
    Your left hand is very clean and your right hand really drives the tune.
    Gary
  20. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great triplets. Not easy making them appear effortlessly like this in the tune without breaking the rhythm. I really struggle with this.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice job, G. Your right hand seems to cover a lot of ground when you are picking, and yet you do not miss a note, and the triplets are very well defined here.
  22. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Excellent g, thanks for sharing.