Round The Horn

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's 'Round The Horn' - written by Jay Unger. Played on a 1917 Gibson H1 Mandola tuned CCGGDDAA...

ABC removed since tune is Copyright by Jay Unger
  2. Grommet
    Grommet
    A sprighty tune Eddie, and nicely done!

Scott
  3. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    A nice lively tune, Eddie, Thanks for the ABC’s. I see you added a few extra notes (which I’m going to borrow). You mandola sounds great.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice one Eddie!
  5. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Very nice job, Eddie! This tune sound great on your mandola - Well done.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Made my morning Eddie. So lighthearted.
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    Ok, I'll learn that one too!
  8. Clement Barrera-Ng
    Clement Barrera-Ng
    Nice tune Eddie and sounds great
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks guys. I got it from The Portland Collection. There's a cool intro on an OM that Clyde Curley plays that I'm trying to figure out...
  10. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    That's a Jay Unger tune and I think he still has the copyright for it.
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    I learned it by ear from The Portland Collection, where indeed it is attributed to Jay Unger. That ABC is from TheSession.org - I have removed it from this post. I guess there will be a real problem with this weeks Song of the Week since it's a Beatles tune...
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    I guess I missed that Martin Jonas had already posted it HERE
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Removing ABC for copyright compliance in an aural tradition - isn't that like immobilizing a train station by stealing all the tickets?

I think we should not run into problems as long as we state the composer and don't make money with it. It's even less illegal than the young dreadlocked guy who turns up at our session on a regular basis to murder "The L&N" by Michelle Shocked without paying dues to any record company (or to us for wasting 10 minutes of our lives).
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    ABC or not, that was great Eddie......
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's why I love traditional folk music...no lawyers telling you what you can or cannot play! Great playing Eddie. Maybe this tune will become a traditional one in about 99 years if we all become "underground folk activists" and learn it and play it like Eddie (and Jay Ungar), otherwise it'll just pass into obscurity...
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great playing, Eddie. Mandolas look like a ton of fun.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the link back to my version from last November, Eddie. It's a fun tune, but I'll have to try to play it a bit more uptempo than I did -- yours has more bounce than mine! I learned it from the Mandozine TablEdit file and it somehow always sounded right to me played fairly slow, probably from a subconscious association of Jay Ungar with slower melancholy tunes such as Ashokan Farewell and Lover's Waltz.

Bertram: "The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore" is a great song, but written by the wonderful Jean Ritchie, not by Michelle Shocked.

Martin
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the information Martin - songs seem to get more associated with the singers most people heard them from instead with the composers.
    Meanwhile, I have found that this song is being murdered by a host of YouTube posters. If they're allowed to do that, we're safe with Jay Ungar and even the Beatles. The worst they can do is block our videos - then we'd have to find other technical means, and we would - kind of a virtual sheebeen. Remember that slogan on the inner sheets of LPs: "home recording kills music"? It is becoming increasingly clear to me that the truth is exactly the other way round.
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff David - the new Sobell I'm assuming?
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hey David, that's a Sobell for sure, and it's larger than the one you used to play => Jill must be guessing right, I guess.
    Plus, I think that is your first video ever featuring living plants in the sunlight!
  21. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, David. Is the Sobell a mandola or an octave?

In order to have it all in one thread, here is the video I posted in my earlier thread in November last year:

Martin
  22. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    All you guys are my heroes in this group! It's fun to see great takes on these tunes.
    So I'm throwing my hat in the ring (I'm wearing my new Mandolin Cafe hat) for this one.
    And at the end.....I even smiled because it was fun!

Jim
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    Well done guys. Bootlegging is alive and well...
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well played Jim and David. I accidentally got your versions going as a round and they sounded wonderful together.

David, congrats on the new camera and octave mandolin. The instrument sounds marvelous. And Jim, congrats on the fetching new hat.
  25. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks to Eddie and Martin for bringing this tune to the group. It's a good one. But I took some liberties with the melody--couldn't just play those long notes. And even though you can't see it, I'm wearing my red cafe hat.