See the Conquering Hero Comes

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    One of Handel's finest tunes from Easy Violin Classics. This is probably best known as the tune to the hymn Thine be the Glory but it is actually from Judas Maccabbeus.
    The music is in the key of F but I am still pretending my mandola is a mandolin so it is actually in Bb which made the rythmn mandolin accompaniment pretty tricky.

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Händel's works always present inviting challenges to mandolinists. I suppose you did the accompaniment in a separate recording? How did you synchronize the two?
  3. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Duncan, did you use Audacity for this? You sometimes get latency with it but there are ways around it.........great to hear the mandola get some airplay..........
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Bertram- most of the challenge on this piece was self imposed. I used Audacity software (which is free) to record. If you go to Edit -Preferences -Audio I/O and tick the box for "Play whilst recording" you can play the tune and then put as many backing tracks as you like on it.
    Incidentally,how do you manage to type an umlaut have you got a special keyboard?
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Special keyboard, hmm - well, not so special here in Germany where you need them ä ö ü ß a lot...
  6. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Now you're just showing off, Bertram!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Just wait until I get my mandolin with the German fretboard - I'll be able to play tunes in Ä minor then...
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    START
    PROGRAMS
    ACCESSORIES
    SYSTEM TOOLS
    CHARACTER MAP
    copy and paste the character with its "accent"
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Works great for the síne fadas in Gäeilge (tic)
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeah, you can use either Eddie's hack or this:

11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You can type umlauts and lots of other stuff with the numlock key and then type a number on the right number pad while holding alt. Some of them are 129, ü, 137 ë, 148 ö, 153 Ö, etc.

Nice work on the song and accompaniment Duncan. You should definitely break out the mandola more often.
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I really only asked out of curiosity, but now that Eddie and Marcelyn have come up with the goods (thanks to both of you) I can post Mötorhead songs with authentic spelling.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Bitte schön.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good MM, but... it's not Mötorhead, its

We Germans always wondered about that ö and what it was supposed to mean, but I guess that's just to add some belligerent Kraut image - thank you Kaiser Wilhelm.
  15. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    And on behalf of the U.S. hard rock contingent...