Week #109 ~ An Dro (Breton Reel)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks winner is An Dro, which was submitted as a Breton Reel. I'm not familiar with this tune.

I found these ABC on www.thesession.org, but in reading the comments section, I have no idea if this is the tune that whoever suggested this tune, had in mind!

X: 1
    T: An Dro
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    fedc d2Ad|BAGB A3G|~F3G A2BA|GABG ~E3g|
    fedc d2Ad|BAGB A3G|~F3G A2BA|GFEF D4:|
    DEFG ADDA|BDDB ADDA|BDDB ADDA|GABG ~E3F|
    DEFG ADDA|BDDB ~A3G|~F3G A2BA|GFEF D4:|

Here is a link to another site with a tune called An Dro

If anyone has any other links to tunes called An Dro, please post!
  2. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I've been poking around on youtube and the web for this tune, and all the versions I listened to were very close to the same tune which was not like any written music I could find on the web. I've been picking at the one Barbara listed above from the session, trying to get a head start, but it hasn't been working very well for me. I absolutely cannot perform rolls and have never really tried triplets in the form that many of you can play so skillfully. I'll stretch myself and work this week on some kind of ornamentation, though.
  3. Clement Barrera-Ng
    Clement Barrera-Ng
    I vaguely remember this tune being discussed before.. somehow can't seem to find it. The closest notation I could find is this:
    http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes.php?id=195

Which seems to fit the version that Carlos Nunez is seen playing on some of the 'tube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn9vbcZ0brg
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Breizh partitions is a good site for Breton songs. There are 20 versions of An Dro for different instruments and in various keys. Most seem to be completely separate tunes- so take your pick!
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here is the link;
    http://breizhpartitions.free.fr/en/brittany_scores.php
    http://http://breizhpartitions.free....any_scores.php
    Someone commenting on the Nunez video says that An Dro is a type of dance for which there are many tunes.
  6. Susanne
    Susanne
    I think that was one of the tunes they taught at "melodeons and more", in one of the workshops, this year! Nice tune.
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I had a bash at this, I found the second part tricky but I persevered and this is the end result. Is it a Breton tune from France or is it Cape Breton in Nova Scotia?

8. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice playing, Tosh; way to start this one off! Barrangatan - thanks for posting those links. I'm not too familiar yet with all the ins and outs of ITM, but have been repeatedly listening to your link version. I've decided to try it, minus all the fancy flute/whistle rolls of course.
  9. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Sounds good as ever, Tosh. Thanks.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one Tosh. An dro is a type of Breton dance and a type of tune played for that dance, most an dros do not have individual titles like Irish or Scottish tunes.The tune I am playing is called An Dro Pays Vannetais which means An Dro from the county of Vanne, which is in southern Brittany. It's normally played faster but I like the slower moody tempo.

11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tosh - that was awesome, sounds great on the 10 string! Well done sir!

David - your An Dro sounded the business as well - great stuff! That type of tune sits very well on your Sobell. I saw a 10 string Sobell at Gryphon last weekend, but didn't ask to try it out as I was daunted by the wide fretboard on it, first time I've seen a Sobell in the flesh though, and what a beautiful instrument it was!
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Kay, Mike, David and Jill, thanks for the kind words, it was an interesting choice this week, don't know who proposed it, but it was certainly a charismatic tune to attempt and work on my trebles, which I need to do, although it sounds just as fine if you play it straight.
    David that was great, really loved your version and glad you put me right about the geography!!!!!
  13. pezdork
    pezdork
    well looks like i will have to break down and learn abc since i cant find a An Dro tab. Tosh and David very cool ive never heard of this dance (being of questionable Irish decent) but i can totally picture the dance in my mind.
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    That was excellent David. I'm taken with Clement's link to Carlos Nunez playing St Patrick's An Dro - here's a link to the dots:

http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes/sain...cks-an-dro.pdf

15. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Being a Breton reel, I can't believe this isn't faster than on the ABC file.

http://soundcloud.com/michael-romkey/an-dro

Things are out of whack in the mix once I bounced it to MP3. Will correct if I get time.
  16. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I like the Eddie dots...

17. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    David, great playing and thanks for the An Dro explanation - now I understand why I had a difficult time matching up something to read and listen. Mike, it was delightful to hear a fiddle on this one, and I'm envious of your ability to carry out the ornamentation.

18. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I'm still learning this techie stuff. David, I took your advice of using the standard reply, not the quick reply. I still ended up with a large video. This time, though, I'm not alone so I don't feel as conspicuous.
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    Tres Cool Mike and Kay. St. Patrick's An Dro stirs my soul...
  20. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice, Kay! I think your ideas about the ornaments are far better than mine! What a cool little tune. I'm not sure what the first one I did is from the ABC but it's pretty different the the David/Nunez/Kay/etc. setting. But the B part of the ABC version definitely has a Cape Breton feel to it, at least to me. David, the sound of the Sobell is awesome. Nice job.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    An Dro - St. Patrick's - Played on a Gibson 1909 A4...

22. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    David Hansen, where can I get the ABC or the dots for your version? I have been looking for the music to that version for over six months. Help, please.
  23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here you go, same tune different key. Most of the Breton stuff is written in Bb. You've never really lived until you've heard an an dro played on a Bombard.

X:10
    T:An dro
    C:trad
    A:Bretagne
    O:France
    M:2/2
    L:1/4
    Q:1/4=180
    K:Bb
    Gdd d/2e/2|cc/2d/2B2|A/2B/2c/2A/2 BG|G/2F/2G/2A/2 BA|
    Gddd/2e/2|cc/2d/2B2|A/2B/2c/2A/2 BG|B/2G/2A/2F/2 G2:|
    |:A/2B/2c/2A/2 BG|G/2F/2G/2A/2 BA|A/2B/2c/2A/2 BG|B/2G/2A/2F/2 G2:||
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    Bb is a great bagpipe key...
  25. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Thanks for the ABC's, David! You saved an old man from further frustration.
  26. pickloser
    pickloser
    Here's my try at An Dro and St. Patrick's An Dro
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...536#post933536
  27. pickloser
    pickloser
    Oops, sorry about An Dro. I must have uploaded the original instead of the one where I cut the extraneous stuff. I guess it could have been worse; at least there's no swearing.
    Laura

btw, this is my Phoenix Ultra
  28. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Love the old Gibson mojo. Oval As forever!
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie that was great and I love the dancing skeletons!
  30. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    This has turned out to be a great week. Different versions, solid playing. Very enjoyable. Thanks to all for sharing. Eddie. Is this a Día de los Muertos tee shirt?
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    Nope, it's a Zoukfest T-shirt.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Everybody on the floor...

33. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Some excellent tunes have been posted here. My one is the Danse Vannetaise from Harry Jager's Suite Armorique, 2nd mandolin part, without any rests.
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    An Dro - Pays Vannetais. Played on a Ratliff R4 3-point.

35. Eddie Sheehy
    An Dro - played on a Ratliff R4 3-point mandolin...

36. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Nice job everyone! I'm a bit late but I have an excuse - new mandolin. It's a Mann Two Point Flatback.

37. pickloser
    pickloser
    That's a totally cool mandolin, and I like the way you play it too. Congratulations!
  38. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Thanks! I finally got my computer to recognize your mp3 files - for some reason, it adds the ".htm" extension to these. Really enjoyed the triplets on Mist on the Mountain and your different versions of An Dro. Was that a Phoenix Bluegrass also?

Chris
  39. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Chris, your new Mann is really beautiful, and with a great tone, too! I especially like how the end of the headstock is parallel, or at least nearly so, to the other end of the fretboard. It creates a very nice overall visual.
  40. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    I really enjoyed everyone's performance, especially the St Patrick's An Dro. Would anyone happen to have the ABC file on that version?

Thanks,

Jim
  41. Eddie Sheehy
    This is what I used, Jim:

http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes.php?id=195
  42. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    I tried for "relaxed" with this one, most likely not stylistically accurate. But I like it.

On a '20s Regal tenor guitar tuned GDAE.
  43. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Thanks Eddie!
  44. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Ten - Great tone from your tenor guitar. Your playing is easy on the ears - clear, melodic, and at my kind of tempo. Very enjoyable. Thanks
  45. pickloser
    pickloser
    Hi Ten. Great. Yet another cool instrument i shall not want. I like your relaxed approach, a "singing" kind of style.
    Chris, I believe I recorded those with my Phoenix Ultra, which had really old strings on it. (I finally changed them.)
    Laura
  46. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Everyone is such a hard act to follow with so many great renditions, but I had to try!
    I liked the Saint Patrick's An Dro version the best, so that's what I did, thanks to Eddie for providing the link.

Thanks for listening

Jim