Sean Coughlan's (jig)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's a nice simple jig that I learnt from a set of tunes Jerry O'Sullivan plays on his album "The Invasion". That particular set features 2 jigs going by the name "Sean Coughlan's" - this one is the first tune of the set and the only ABC's I could find were for the OTHER Sean Coughlan's that closes that set, but it's easy enough to pick up by ear, which is what I did... Oh, played on Fairbanks-Vega Style M Tubaphone tenor banjo (1918-ish) using a .50mm Clayton acetel plectrum

2. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Jill,

We've often complemented your clean and rhythmic triplets but I must say this one is even better than usual. Is that an banjo you've been using in other videos or is it new? It has what I'd call truly a "Tenor" voice as opposed to some tenor banjos that have a more shrill timbre. You're sounding mighty good today, all around.
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Marvelous Jill! It's been too long since your last post. Well done. I don't recall seeing that banjo before. Is it new to you?
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads! And yes, this is a "new to me" banjo - I ended up selling the Bacon and Day Silverbell I had because despite it being a 17 fret tenor, it was on the longer end of the scale (22 inch scale I think, or very near to that) vs. this lovely wee Style M which is something like 19 3/4 or 20 inch scale, so MUCH easier for my mandolin player hands to get around on! Lacking that shrill timbre in part because of it being an open back vs. resonator tenor.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, that's some amazing pick work.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jill, a cracking bit of dexterity once again! You really bring those tunes alive. The new banjo has a great sound and I see the sense in having the shorter scale length to suit your "mandolin player" hands. Mind you, you can make any banjo sound great!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, it's great to have you posting again, and you know how I love tenor banjos! I notice, too, that you have made strides in your 'loose wrist' practice.... we started talking about both working on that a month or so ago! Looks and sounds wonderful!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Jill, what a distinctive style of playing you have! Always a delight to listen to you knock out a tune -- it seems so effortless and just exactly right.
  9. Toycona
    Toycona
    Really fantastic, Jill.
  10. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Yee ha! Awesome playing and welcome to the new banjo. That definitely put a hitch in my git-along!
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Barbara - delighted that you see an improvement in my "loose wrist" work - I've definitely noticed it in your recent posts as well. It's quite empowering really how being aware of something and then focusing on improving it can bring about concrete results!
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bone dry sound. Reminds me of days in Ireland when, with the rain outside and the drink inside, this was the only dry thing around.