East Tennessee Blues

1. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    I was just looking to see if this tune has been posted before and it hasn't so here we go. This was recorded during that blitz random recording day that I had back on 10 April. Played on my Collings MT. Not sure who it was popularized by but I was inspired to learn it from the Doc Watson/Bill Monroe live recordings.

There's 4 versions to learn from on Mandozine here

I would be great to see some other versions!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    From an East Tennesseean, you've done us proud, Rob. I learned that one a long time ago but the B part isn't sounding familiar. I'll have to go back and re-figure it out.
  3. pickloser
    pickloser
    I like your arrangement!
    I'll bet that would sound good on your Flatiron, Marcelyn. I look forward to your version too.
    Laura
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Awesome, Rob!
  5. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks guy and gals!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Laura, I bet it would, only I don't have that one any more. I've done a little swaping around during the last year and a half. Currently, I'm playing a teens A-3 and a flat top made by Keith Newell. I bought the Flatiron from a friend years ago when there definitely wasn't as much interest in them. Also, I didn't even know oval holes existed at the time. It was right after my little girl was born, and as a result, the Flatiron didn't get any play time until last March when I joined this group. That's also the time I learned about oval holes and the wide world of mandolin options. That Flatiron brought a bit of a profit and funded a little experimentation. What fun.
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    I'm amazed it hasn't been posted yet! Good playing, Rob, and a cool version with them blue notes thrown in. I rarely do that stuff, maybe because I got into an anti-bluegrass period, but I do think it sounds very nice.

Here's my version, quite rough, haven't played it a lot lately and this is without practice or even tuning the mandolin.. First take, even. I'll practice this tune some more because it's a really neat tune.

8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Susi that's a GREAT first take! Nice rendition and has a good ragtime sound. Nice!
  9. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I decided it was time I learned this one. My inspiration comes from the new Compton/Newberry recording. I'm certainly not there yet but it gives me something to aspire to!

10. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Kicking, Shawn---and that's a fine haircut if I do say so myself.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    yes, very nice Shaun, I like that version, and you've inspired me to post a quick one of mine:

12. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    You make it look so easy OS!!
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Shaun and David, hard acts to follow, as always. Great work

Well, I normally play it a little bit faster than David, but was told that ragtime doesn't have to be so fast, so I slowed it down about 50 clicks.
    Bass 'metronome' courtesy of Band-in-a-Box

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played Manfred. Great tempo and great tone -- you really bring out the ragtime in this tune!
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's the spirit Manfred, great work!
  16. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    You got it Manfred!! Very nice variations!
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You nailed that tune, Manfred--and with all those intricate variations too. Super playing.