Cooley's Reel

1. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Forgive me if this tune has already been posted on this forum, but I couldn't find it...only on the Celtic music forum posted by Bernie Daniel of a young lad playing this tune. So here's an "old lad" playing the same tune Cooley's Reel, sometimes called Cooney's Reel.

Here's the abc for the tune

X:1
    T:Cooley's Reel
    C:Traditional
    L:1/8
    Q:260
    M:4/4
    K:G
    z6 D2 |: "Em"EB BA B2 EB | B2 AB dB AG | "D"FD AD BD AD | FD FA dA FD | "Em"EB BA B2 EB | \
    B2 AB de fg | "D"af ge dB AF |1 D"D"E FD "Em"EG FD :|2 D"D"E FD "Em"Eg fg | "Em"eB BB eB gB | \
    eB BB ge dB | "D"A2 FA dA FB | AD FA B^c df | "Em"eB BB eB gB | ed B^c de fg | "D"af ge dB AF :| "D"DE FD "Em"EG FD | \
    E8 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Jim
  2. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    And my attempt at the same on tenor banjo!

Jim
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done there Jim, I used to play this tune a lot, need to run through it a few times to clear out the cobwebs and will try to put up a clip tomorrow if I get a chance - thanks for reminding me of it!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the heads-up Jim, because that was one of my oldest tunes - I might have recorded it before, but here it is how I am playing it today in sessions, i.e. in a set after Maid behind the Bar:

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, I usually play these two the other way around, Cooley's first, then The Maid Behind the Bar.
  6. llamela
    llamela
    A chance to dust off an old recording.

7. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    A question for Bertram, Jill and anyone else who knows...

Are certain pairs or triples of songs traditionally put together in sets? So for instance if Jill and Bertram each play "Maid Behind the Bar" and "Cooley's" together (in whichever order) was that just happenstance or do those two tunes generally show up paired together when they show up at all?
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Some sets seem to be well established, such as The Tarbolton Set (The Tarbolton/The Longford Collector/The Sailor's Bonnet), whereas I play The Maid Behind the Bar after Cooley's, but also have played it after The Silver Spear on occasion. Sets can also be session specific and locale specific. When I'm learning a new tune, I like to look it up over at thesession.org to see what recordings it's appeared on and what other tunes it's been paired with.
  9. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Bertram.....such enthusiasm in your playing....made me want to get up and dance around the room!! Obviously you've played this a time or two.

llamela......wonderful combination but couldn't hear your mandocello over the squeezebox. You are both very accomplished musicians on this tune and obviously into the music. Thanks for posting!

Good information Jill.....We play Cooley's reel by itself so far....I guess it's new enough to most in our group that we don't know what works with it. So I'll try it with Maid behind the Bar at our next session and see how it goes! I'm new to this music....but I'm trying! Can't wait to hear you play this!

I'm glad to see all your posts.....I so enjoy this tune!

Thanks,

Jim
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Jim for the kind words - after all, dancing is what these tunes are for

Very solid rendition, llamela, with that accordian played Russian-style with lots of chords, and I could hear your instrument perfectly well.

Brent, formation of sets is a complex thing. Like Jill said, some are "established", i.e. they are known like that from famous recordings by Bothy Band, De Dannann, Planxty etc. or they are usually played like that in a session (e.g. we play My Darling Asleep after Tripping up the Stairs as sure as summer follows spring), but nothing is set in stone - there is always the short expectant pause after one tune what the set leader will play next. I am frequently taking liberties with set formation, e.g. when a standard set of mine is decomposed because single tunes of it have been played already in other participants' sets (we try to not repeat a tune), I rearrange what is left of it and start off.
    The sequence Cooleys/Maid like Jill plays it is well known to me (watch Rapalje play it that way below), only I thought the transition would sound more conspicuous the other way round - liberty again.

11. Heliocentric
    Heliocentric

Just because I need to start posting, here's a not-so-great attempt of Cooley's Reel. If it is any excuse I knackered my index finger the night before working on fingering the A and E strings together in The Devil's Dream.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well enough played Helio. I guess that environment holds lots of excuses involving knackered fingers
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Don't be so tough on yourself Heliocentric, I thought that sounded grand, plus you've got a lovely sounding Eastman there as well!
  14. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    nice lathe!!
  15. Heliocentric
    Heliocentric
    Thanks all, I was working late in the workshop. It's funny, but I've probably done more damage to my fingers with mandolin strings than I have on any of the tools there!
  16. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was awesome picking, Helio!
  17. etteM
    etteM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82prQsShWFM havenŽt posted anything in ages, but now im going through the threads to see if there are any songs i know a little from before
  18. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nicely played, Mette, and how nice to finally hear you play that new mandolin (or is it?)!
  19. etteM
    etteM
    got it last summer yes, but IŽm playing i little low because its nighttime:D
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great posts etteM, loved the triplets in this, something I am struggling to get consistentcy with! Keep it up but don't annoy the neighbours!!!!! If you go advanced and post the last part of your YouTube link after the = sign, then it'll embed your vids like the rest......
  21. etteM
    etteM
    thanks IŽll try that
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Those fingernails go well with the black mandolin and the general hushed atmosphere - creatures of the dark
  23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    just catching up on all your posts etteM - great stuff! What mandolin are you playing?
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    ah, never mind, just found out via another thread - your Flatbush sounds lovely!
  25. etteM
    etteM
    thank you! yes, its its a pretty cool mandolin
  26. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I haven't posted in a while but like this reel.
    Here is my version played on a "The Loar LM-400"

27. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nicely done Picker.
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    good job there TDMpicker - that Loar LM400 sounds nice as well!
  29. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Great job and nice sounding mando!

Jim
  30. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    This tune was made for the banjo. I have never bothered with it on the mandolin before, but the new tenor is widening my repertoire of tunes

31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There actually seems to be a complex tuple consisting of that tune, that banjo and yourself which were all made for each other
  32. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I agree with Bertram, you and that banjo are made for each other. Very, very nice!
  33. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Thanks for the compliments. The mandolin is getting a little jealous at the minute, so I will have to resist the allure of the banjo for a whule and get back to some mandolin SAW tunes as this is not the banjo cafe...
    I can't do either at the minute as I bruised my fingernail in a door-related incident yesterday and fretting is agony!
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    Short and sweet on a beard OM, one take- flubs and all...

35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sweet indeed Eddie, with a pointed hornpipey (hornpointed?) lightheadedness.
    How is your leg?
  36. cwboal
    cwboal
    Playing catch-up with some of the past tunes. Thought I'd make this contribution.

37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Looking (and sounding) all relaxed, CW. I wonder... what would you do without an armchair?
  38. cwboal
    cwboal
    Probably fall off Thanks Bertram; I really need to try to work in some chord strums like you do.
  39. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    week 118 is Cooley's Reel according to the listing. Could this be it?
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    This is Cooley's Reel as Another Tune, but where are the posts for SOW #118?
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    As these guys pointed out, Cooley's Reel has two discussions. One as an "other tune" and one as a "Tune of the Week". Here is a link to the tune as the official Tune of the Week #118.