Red Rocking Chair

1. David Miller
    David Miller
    I got out the 'Zouk tonight while I started working on this week's tune, "Rickett's," and was reminded of this tune I used to play out. The tune is a great example of how wonderful and satisfying just a simple melody and chords can be. I figured that until I can get a recording done of the SOTW, I would throw this one out there instead... I hope you enjoy.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent job, David! It's fun to hear the bouzouki played with finger picks. Does anyone know of mandolin players who use that technique?

Oh, and it took me a minute, but I figured out how practicing Rickett's Hornpipe brought this tune to your mind. They do both start with R after all.
  3. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Great stuff David, I think sometimes the simpler the song the greater balance and poise you need to pull it off - you sure did!
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done David. Can you tell us the origin of the song and also how you tune your zouk?
  5. David Miller
    David Miller
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Jim, to answer your questions, I have the 'zouk tuned in regular old GDAE tuning, capoed up two frets. I learned the tune from a book, the "Old-Time String Band Songbook", that is tunes played by the New Lost City Ramblers. They note in the commentary that the tune was recorded in the 20's by Dock Boggs under the name "Sugar Babe", and has been recorded by others over years including Charlie Monroe in the 40's. I purposely did not listen to other recordings first so that I would develop my own interpretation, and in the end I think I take the tune slower than most do, but the more I listen to think about the texts, the sadder and more melancholy the song gets for me. I also find it interesting that in it's mode as an early blues tune, the lyrics take the opposite arrangement in each stanza than is typical, repeating the second line of text instead of the first.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was just beautiful!
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    That was really beautiful. Could you post the tabs, chords and lyrics for quick access? I'd get right on that one if I had my hands on the material.

Really good stuff!!!
  8. David Miller
    David Miller
    Toycona,

Thank you! Here is at least some of the info you asked for.

Lyrics:
    Ain't got no use for your red rocking chair.
    Ain't got no sugar baby now (2x)

Who'll rock the cradle, who'll sing the song?
    Who'll rock the cradle when I'm gone (2x)

I'll rock the cradle, I'll sing the song.
    It's I'll rock the cradle when your gone (2x)

It's all I can do, it's all I can say.
    Gonna send you to your momma next payday (2x)

It's all I can do, it's all I can say.
    I cant get along this a-way (2x)

First verse repeats

The chords are simplicity itself. The first line of each verse is a minor (I use 2200 for that open sound). Then the second line goes C major, then back to a minor on the last syllable of the line. I tweaked the first C Major in each verse to 0030, then to the regular 0230 on the repeat of the second line, but that was just me. In other words:

a min (2200)
    Ain't got no use for your red rocking chair.
    C9 (0030)....................a min (2200)
    Ain't got no sugar baby now
    C Maj (0230)................a min (2200)
    Ain't got no sugar baby now

I also play the whole piece capoed up two frets.

Unfortunately I dont have easy access to a tab version - the music I learned it from was in standard notation, but I bet there are versions out there in tab form.

I hope this helps you out!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Absolutely professionally done David, ready to go on a CD and don't change anything!
    I wonder how you get fingerpicking done with so narrow string spacing to move in - I do fingerpicking myself and I am glad to have the extra-wide Flyde fretboard and string spacing.

Lovely how the sad lonely mood of the song is underlined by the brief vision of red car taillights disappearing through window blinds.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Capo-ing and fingerpicking are two things I've not yet tried, but would love to! I understand the theory behind it, but am confused with the chords as you have written them. If you have your zouk tuned GDAE, and you capo at the second fret, that turns it into AEBF#, right? This tune is in A minor (or some mode?)?

When you talk about the fingering for the chords, you say A minor (2200) which would be the fingering for it not capo'ed, would it not? So, how you finger the chords when you have it capoed at the 2nd fret is not have you have it written, is it? I was under the impression that when you are fingerpicking an instrument, you are mainly playing a chord, but fingerpicked, with some melody inserted here and there?

Whatever it is you are doing, I wish I could do it!
  11. David Miller
    David Miller
    Barbara,

I am sorry about the confusion in my post. To be clear, I should have really said that I perform the piece in b minor, but I do that by capoing up two frets and fingering as if I was in a minor. The fingerings I gave were in relation to the capo, so the 2200 is actually 4422 on the neck of the instrument, but I am letting the capo barre for me. I hope that is clearer...

As far as the fingerpicking, the little amount of guitar I have done over the years was always finger picked, so when I started using the 'zouk as my main accompaniment instrument for my vocal tunes, I thought of trying to use the same techniques on it. I do use picks on my fingers (thumb, first and middle fingers) to help with the close string spacing issues, and I have found I dont need to use my ring finger, since I am only dealing with four (8) strings instead of six. Beyond that, it is exactly what you said - I generally get a basic chord shape in place on the lower strings, and then use whatever fingers are left over to grab melody stuff on the top strings. To be honest, I am mostly just making it up, but at times it does seem to come together and work.

P.S. - I am jealous of your Collings oval! I got a chance to play the MF ovals at the NAMM show in January (and to meet Bill Collings himself!) and if I was in any position to add one to my stable... i would in a heartbeat!
  12. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Damn! That was great!!
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's the original missing video by David Miller

14. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    This was a porch recording for us awhile back. Pay no attention to the location tagging...I just pick whatever seems funny at the time.
    https://soundcloud.com/mandosteve-1/...g-chair-at-the
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great picking Steve, Dawn really does an incredible job with that one. What fantastic old time flavor. You should post it to the official tune of the week for Red Rocking Chair as well where more people will be looking for it.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune is now an Official Tune of the Week#194. Here's the link... be sure to check that discussion, too, and if you wish to post your version, please do so on the Official Tune thread!
  17. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Oops--I just picked the wrong thread. I'll repost. Thanks Marcelyn!
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woops, sorry Barbara, I can't believe I did that too. It's reposted to the official tune of the week now.

19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Marcelyn... can you post this in the official tune discussion, as well! Thanks!