Old Dangerfield

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I kept thinking this was going to be Song of the Week since it has been in the poll for so long, so I worked up a version anyway. This is a classic Monroe tune. You can find good tab for it at Mandozine.

2. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    I really enjoyed that, that smooth sliding to chords and doublestops up the neck is something I'm aspiring to.

Out of interest when approaching tunes like these do you learn the chord structure first before getting seriously into the tune itself?
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Harry - yes, I will usually try to get an overall feel for it first by just listening to a number of different versions, and I'll usually chop along and work out the chords. Since a lot of Monroe's playing is based on chord positions it helps me find the melody. Also, knowing what's going on harmonically means I can introduce my own melodic variations. I worked out the melody first by playing Chris Thile's version (from "Leading Off") slowed down a lot. Once I knew it from that, I could figure out how other pickers varied the tune in other versions.
  4. jamann
    jamann
    OS, I also learned this tune in hopes that it would eventually get voted in for SAW. I was bummed that it was removed so I'm glad you started this. I really enjoyed your version. Nicely done as always!

Here's my attempt at a great Monroe tune called Old Dangerfield or actually Old Daingerfield named after Daingerfield, Texas. Anyway it's a great tune and lots of fun to play. Hope you enjoy my slowed down take on it!

jamann

5. Susanne
    Susanne
    Always good with a slow version!! Then we can hear what you're actually doing - very good for learning. Cool tune. What mandolin are you playing? It has a nice sound.
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's a good version and nicely played - really good timing.
  7. jamann
    jamann
    OS, Susi, thanks for the kind words. Susi, I'm playing a Gibson F-5GCMS wideneck. This is a custom Mandolin Store exclusive. I'm really digging this mandolin. It's a keeper!
  8. Susanne
    Susanne
    Cool! Wideneck, does it really mean it has a wider neck than the average mandolin? It doesn't look like that in the video!
  9. jamann
    jamann
    Susi, yes it does mean it has a wider neck. The wideneck is 1 3/16" at nut compared to 1 1/16" on the standard F-5G.
  10. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    OS - Fun tune, and a very nice arrangement as usual. But, what was it called when Rodney was younger...
  11. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 10
    T: Old Dangerfield
    C: Bill Monroe - Arr. Mike Compton
    S: MandoZine TablEdit Archives
    Z: TablEdited by John Bird for MandoZine
    L: 1/8
    Q: 478
    M: 4/4
    K: A
    z6 AA |: "A"A2 =GE D=C A,=G, | A,2 AA =cA =c2 | A2 =GE D=C A,=C | "E"DE D=C "A"A,2 AA |
    A2 =GE D=C A,=G, | A,2 AA =cA =c2 | A2 =GE D=C A,=C |1 D"E"E D=C "A"A,2 AA :|2 D"E"E D=C "A"A,2 A,A, |
    |: "A"A,C EF A2 AA | "D"DE FA d2 dd | "A"A,C EF A2 AA | "E"EG Bc e2 ee |
    "A"A,C EF A2 AA | "D"DE FA d2 AB | "A"=cB A=G ED =CD |1 ^D"E"E A2 "A"A2 A,A, :|2 ^D"E"E A2 "A"A2 e2 |
    e2 e2 |: "A"=ga aa aa aa | a2 aa ac' ae | "E"[ed][ee] [ee][ee] [ee][ee] [ee][ee] | [e2e2] ef =gf e2 |
    [=fc][^fd] [fd][fd] [fd][fd] [fd][fd] | [f2d2] AB =cB A=G | "A"[A=G][AA] [AA][AA] [AA][AA] [AA][AA] | [A2A2] AB =cB A2
    |"G"[^AF][B=G] [B=G][B=G] [B=G][B=G] [B=G][B=G] | [B2=G2] =cB A=G ED |
    "A"[AD][AE] [AE][AE] [AE][AE] [AE][AE] | [A2E2] [A2E2] [AE][AE] [A2E2] |
    "D"[AD][AD] [AD][AD] [AD][AD] [AD][AD] | "E"[A2D2] A=G ED =C=G, |
    "A"[E2A,2] [EA,][EA,] [EA,][EA,] [EA,][EA,] |1 [E2A,2] e2 e2 e2 :|2 [E8A,8] |
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune finally made it to official Tune of the Week #165. Here's the link. If you wish to submit a video of this tune, please do so to the other discussion! Thanks!