View RSS Feed

Notes from the Field

I am not a musician - part two

Rate this Entry
Three or so years ago I wrote a blog about not being a musician. At the time I of course thought that I had exhausted my musings. For reference.

Well here I am with more musings.

I am not a natural musician. Not at all. I am living proof that the Average Joe, someone of average ability, through a whole lot of constant enthusiastic practice and above average stubbornness, can get to a level that could only be considered an accomplishment if I were eight or ten years old. But I can play at that level.

Well, but have you heard some of these eight and ten year olds? Well. If I had started twenty or so years before I was born, I could have done that when I was ten. I was, at ten, still at least seven or eight years from starting on the mandolin.

So I can play entertainingly enough, but I suffer from two other handicaps, (or features) that I suspect are not something that stubborn practice can deliver. I lack musical creativity and I lack showmanship.

Maybe because of how I grew up or how I am wired, I much prefer to be told what to play than to come up with something on my own. I let the sheet music or my memory tell me the tune, and I let the learned expectations of the tradition tell me how to decorate, ornament, and improvise. On breaks I stick to the melody, or take excursions through pathways I have learned work well.

I am not one for improvising cool licks. I can’t “come up with something interesting.” I know cool and interesting when I hear it, and I can in some cases emulate it, but I can’t come up with it. I have taken a few workshops and here and there picked up a few hints and tricks that work more often than they don’t and I can fool a beginner. I have a few “do this” and “do that” books and they help.

While through “dint of hard work over long eons” I have developed the technical ability to play what is in my head, I have discovered, to my dismay, that there just isn’t anything interesting in there. I don’t have musical ideas that aren’t obviously derivative.

In one workshop I was told I have it entirely wrong. That what I am trying to do is impossible, akin to trying to tickle myself, surprise myself. An impossible task. That my experience of playing something I have come up with will never, by definition, surprise and delight me to the extent someone else’s creations will. I will never find my own composition interesting in the same way I find other peoples compositions interesting.

This workshop advocated coming up with things that are different. Just go for different. In particular, exercises to break away from learned patterns – head for the same old thing and miss, start in the wrong place and scramble my way back, come in late and work it out. The point was that my job is to make something that surprises and is interesting to someone else. It doesn’t matter what I think. I don’t have to be delighted. They do.

Which brings me to my second deficiency, showmanship. I can’t seem to care if other people are entertained or delighted. I feel used and abused catering to the uninformed tastes of the audience. And I don’t have the energy or skills to make them appreciate my tastes.

I have gotten to the point where I can get on a stage, I can play for others, but only by hiding behind the music. “Here is a tune for you. Don’t listen to me, listen to the tune.” Which works in a limited way, but if the tune isn’t one they want to hear, I have no backup, no way to gauge which way to go. How to read the audience and figure out what is needed.

And, let’s face it, I don’t care. Or care enough, I guess. I what to play what I want to play. I think there is magic in the way a performer can hold an audience. And convert them from wanting what they want to wanting what is offered. And I do not have a clue how to do that. I don’t think that is even something teachable or that I can get through practice. Again, there are no exercises or flash cards for getting an audience on your side, getting them to trust you enough to lead them on your musical journey.

My main point here is that I do not gain anything overall just by “getting better”. I am better enough. Working on it more will only help my technique. Look, I understand there is plenty of room for improvement. There always is. But improved playing won’t get me musical creativity and showmanship, any more than improving typing and keyboard skills gets you closer to writing a great story.

Not that being a musical success is a goal. It really isn’t, and I have talked about the myriad of reasons it isn’t in other blogs. (I know, so quit yer bitchin, you are where you want to be.) It’s just that I have known and can identify more than a few solid performers whose technical raw ability is not gigantic. It’s good, even real good, but they are where they are for reasons other than being able to deliver well on a technical level. No, what they can deliver is surprise and delight. They can deliver entertainment.

And I can't find the path from here to there.

Submit "I am not a musician - part two" to Facebook Submit "I am not a musician - part two" to Yahoo Submit "I am not a musician - part two" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What are you looking for?

You say, "I can play entertainingly enough." - Isn't this enough?

You say, "And, let’s face it, I don’t care. Or care enough, I guess. I [what] to play what I want to play." - If this is so, then why all the complaining about an uninterested or disengaged audience?

Too many contradictions to understand what you're saying..

You're right - a musician with chops but no "insights" is akin to reading a well-written essay with little content.

But what of scores? Isn't there scored material that is of merit? Plenty of others find sufficient inspiration in written material (often, sufficient enough on which to base a career). Plenty of folks don't possess showmanship nor improvisational wherewithal...and still ostensibly enjoy music.

But you say you don't care -
    Updated May-03-2015 at 6:31pm by catmandu2
    According to the Oxford dictionary, a musician is "a person who plays a musical instrument." So, sorry, you are a musician whether you accept that or not. You may not be a composer, or an entertainer, or an improvisationalist (it's a word, I checked!). But so what? It is a minority of musicians who truly good at being any of those. I have tried all of them, and while I can claim I got by, I can't claim I did it well enough to be satisfying. After years of angst thinking I should care, I've finally realized I don't care and it's not sour grapes.

I finally realized my purpose in playing music and I have decided to not only be satisfied with it, but truly happy and fulfilled with it. That decision has brought me a lot of peace and it has actually increased my enjoyment and improvement in playing. I think letting go of what I thought a musician should be and embracing what I needed it to be made all the difference.

I won't say in this post what my purpose turned out to be, because I don't want muddy the waters. But I encourage you, or anyone, to accept that whatever motivation you have for picking up the instrument, it is right, and complete, and enough. There doesn't have to be anything else.
    What appears to be confusing to you cat is the contradiction of seeming complaining about the impediments to further success, and the seeming disdain for that success anyway.

And the contradictions are evident. I go back and forth. Its like not being invited to a party I didn't want to go to anyway. Or something.
    "I don’t have musical ideas that aren’t obviously derivative."

You should understand that most of this - indeed, most everything in life - is fundamentally derivative.

I'm still not sure what you're looking for. What do you want? - I mean musically.. We can certainly give you general encouragement. Or if just kvetching, that's okay too..

It sounds like you're looking for something rather specific. Does it matter whether you (or others perhaps?) consider yourself a musician, or not? What if someone - who enjoyed playing a musical instrument - referred to him/herself as a short-order cook, rather than a musician...?

Why not just consider yourself a guy who likes to play the mandolin?

I spend most all my free time playing music. I don't often need to call myself this, nor that...others may refer to me as "musician," but I'm rarely in a position that I need to identify myself in terms of what I do. I DO what I do - it's axiomatic.

Do what it is you like to do - don't worry so much about what others may think.
    Updated May-03-2015 at 8:34pm by catmandu2
    I guess its one of those cases where I look over there and see where someone is, and some natural competitiveness starts to drip into my brain, and say hmmm, what does he have that I don't have, and then I think through and write this essay to say, oh, that's what he has that I don't have. OK.

Now the follow up question is, now that I know am I satisfied and happy with that? That is a question for a therapist I suspect.
    I am also commenting, obliquely, and as in my blog about the movie, that going home and practicing more is not always the right answer. Depending on the goals and life satisfaction it may be enough, but don't use practice to solve the wrong problems.

Maybe that is what I should have written about - but the blog that did come out came out so fast and furious I think it is more compelling as is.
    dl
    Updated Jul-26-2015 at 6:23am by catmandu2
    Just saw that I'd posted minutes after you.

Thanks for replying to my posts - it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    I guess its one of those cases where I look over there and see where someone is, and some natural competitiveness starts to drip into my brain, and say hmmm, what does he have that I don't have, and then I think through and write this essay to say, oh, that's what he has that I don't have. OK.

Now the follow up question is, now that I know am I satisfied and happy with that? That is a question for a therapist I suspect.

-----

I am also commenting, obliquely, and as in my blog about the movie, that going home and practicing more is not always the right answer. Depending on the goals and life satisfaction it may be enough, but don't use practice to solve the wrong problems.

Maybe that is what I should have written about - but the blog that did come out came out so fast and furious I think it is more compelling as is.

I'll try to read that blog at some point.

So, it seems you are saying - you are desiring to achieve some level of proficiency in some type of activity (presumably music-related) that you find (and/or you see others finding) appealing? And perhaps speculating about whether you could possibly achieve this?

I'm still somewhat puzzled - if you indicated the nature of the "wrong problems" to which you refer, we could probably get somewhere. But, totally if it's persona/ not something to discuss here, do talk to someone confidentially instead.

*I want to clarify something above about all that art stuff. Artist can mean many different things - and the parameters of art are vast. Musician can be a type of artist, or not so particularly. I don't intend any pretense by it - merely that, one who dwells in art all day, is likely an artist; one who dwells in music (exuding music, providing music, relating musically, experience life through music..) is likely a musician. (If one applies oneself to music as with the endeavors and values of art, then one likely has an artistic orientation or approach to music, etc.)
    Updated May-03-2015 at 11:28pm by catmandu2
    No what I mean is more straight forward, I can't (nobody can) go home and practice my way to creativity, or to showmanship.

That one can look at a Dave Grisman, or a Ricky Skaggs, or Adam Steffey, and say well I am going to go home and practice, but one would be foolish, because the path to their kind of success is not achieved just by getting better. The difference between them and me is much different than merely the differences in technical mandolin playing. Those differences in ability, though monumental, are only one dimension of the difference. You can't learn to fly by going home and trying to run faster. And that fact is driven home, in my experience, as I notice local success of folks not immeasurably better at playing than me, but much better in these other areas, perpendicular to playing well.
    No what I mean is more straight forward, I can't (nobody can) go home and practice my way to creativity, or to showmanship.
    Of course you can.

Maybe you don't feel that you're able. But, of course one can.

Dave Grisman, or a Ricky Skaggs, or Adam Steffey, and say well I am going to go home and practice, but one would be foolish, because the path to their kind of success is not achieved just by getting better. The difference between them and me...

...differences in ability
    Yes, that's true. But is there value in playing at a level inferior to theirs?

But, I can understand and even empathize with what you're saying. Perhaps you're an aesthete who doesn't particularly enjoy the music/sound that is produced by your efforts (on the mandolin, presumably). Totally understandable - I'm there myself, often. One reason why I switch-up instruments all the time is because I get bored with a particular genre or sound.

I love to listen to music/sound. Often, my playing is NOT what I want to listen to. I suggest using the playing of others as inspiration.

So, what I do is find the value in the music that I'm playing...

...the path to their kind of success is not achieved just by getting better...
    "Getting better" is going to require further elaboration.

When I was 16-17 years old, and disillusioned with my playing (although I had the best ear of any of my peers), I asked a cohort, "what avenue of music should I pursue - where my transcribing skills would be a benefit?"

My friend replied - "just use it to your advantage in general musicianship...etc."

Have no idea if any of this would be helpful to you. But I can relate. I would say, follow where it leads you..
    Updated May-04-2015 at 8:21am by catmandu2
    One of the reasons I am enthusiastically pursuing classical music is that I can whole heartedly get behind the idea of perfecting my playing in order to chase great beauty. It seem perfectly logical and without conflicting emotions, to go after the beauty in the composition of an acknowledged great artist, as a goal in and of itself, with no other ambition.

It seems very reasonable to see the beauty as "over there" and I (not having the beauty) go after it.

I have a long ways to go in this regard, but the satisfactions, and disappointments, are easier to understand.
    One of the reasons I am enthusiastically pursuing classical music is that I can whole heartedly get behind the idea of perfecting my playing in order to chase great beauty. It seem perfectly logical and without conflicting emotions, to go after the beauty in the composition of an acknowledged great artist, as a goal in and of itself, with no other ambition.

It seems very reasonable to see the beauty as "over there" and I (not having the beauty) go after it.
    I think this is a good approach. And even the sound of this repertory on the mandolin may not be completely fulfilling; for me, mandolin didn't assuage many of my interests - it quickly led to other mandolin-family indulgences. But these, too, don't fully assuage my interests - I have to study/play other instruments that have the dimension (capacity and/or repertory) I'm needing.
    JeffD, I get this and find your candor quite appealing. Some people are, as you said, wired differently. I am an entertainer and creator or song, but not as technically great as some musicians. For an example, my brother is a technical guitarist and does a very good job on stage, but would rather stand behind the music stand and let his drummer introduce the band. His jazz guitar skills are well beyond my folk-rock guitar and mandolin, while I am an entertainer and songwriter. I love the give and take with a crowd. I find both, and many other styles and types of players, enjoyable. I am grateful for your open and well-written explanation.
    Well it did eventually become more lucid, for me, and I thank you Jeff for not chastising me for clogging up your blog.

I'm thinking this evening of some of these same things - I believe I hear Jeff saying. I've turned to lots of scored works - Satie, Carolan, Bach, the Villa Lobos and all the flamenco too for the most part .. and currently playing in some trad forms where melodies are scored as much as they're disseminated aurally..

I'm listening this evening to contemporary "mid-eastern".. oud, clarinets, doublebass...there's pathos in this ancient form that I can't shake.

Musical "identity" (you might say) is something I've given some thought to .. (and still puzzled )

Well, it's an effective heuristic.
    I think about a short story by one of my favorite authors, Jorge Luis Borges, entitled "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote". It explores artistic endeavor, and how, on the face of it, what a real artist does can seem entirely ridiculous to those not having the context, and then, what is that context anyway.

And maybe what we do in life is create for ourselves contexts in which what we want to do regardless and will do anyway does not seem ridiculous.

But that would be a blog for a different forum.
    Updated May-05-2015 at 10:47am by JeffD

... maybe what we do in life is create for ourselves contexts in which what we want to do regardless and will do anyway do not seem ridiculous.
    Reconciling paradox seems to be a particular challenge of the Western mind.

The world is rife with examples for resolution - if we care to make study..
    Of course, by resolution I mean in terms of practicality rather than ideals - as in restoration, revivalism, rebirth, etc; it's clear we're talking transformation, degree, metaphor, for example, rather than the ideal - (at least in present times).

So, grappling with dialecticism isn't going to be rare I certainly have my travails!

Anyway fun blog Jeff - thanks
    Being a good instrumentalist, being a composer or songwriter, and being an entertainer are indeed three different (although not entirely unrelated) things. We can see plenty of examples among famous and not-so-famous people.

And thinking about not being invited to a party that you didn't want to go to anyway is sometimes a sign that you want to be at a party, but not that particular one - or that you want to be with those people, but not in that way.

You wouldn't be here if you didn't have a strong and enduring passion for the music and the instrument. And you wouldn't write these blog posts so regularly or so eloquently if you didn't have something unique to say.

So, if I had any say in the matter, I would like to see and hear you being creative and entertaining in your way. Not the way of Grisman, Skaggs, or Steffey. Your own way. Writing your own songs or improvising solos may not be your way. But what about using your musical and verbal skills to weave something that is all your own? Perhaps by telling the story of the tunes you play (tune choice is an artistic choice after all), and sharing what you love about them? Or by infecting people with your enthusiasm for our little niche instrument? Or by bringing the thoughtfulness that goes into these blogs to bear on a journey into the life of a musician - a real musician, not the sort of musician that exists in the audience's preconceptions?

Now, that's a party I'd want to be at.
    It seems to me the difficulty here is the problem of learning to improvise well. The plain fact of the matter is that learning to improvise is extremely difficult work and very time consuming.

But if you are really not interested in learning to improvise well, that's great, you've saved yourself a lot of work, and there are plenty of other big challenges for musicians. But don't pretend you couldn't do it if you really tried, because you could, it's just a hard problem to solve, perhaps a harder problem than you realized, and saying you couldn't discourages others from trying. It's a challenge, but you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage
    It seems to me the difficulty here is the problem of learning to improvise well. The plain fact of the matter is that learning to improvise is extremely difficult work and very time consuming.

But if you are really not interested in learning to improvise well, that's great, you've saved yourself a lot of work, and there are plenty of other big challenges for musicians. But don't pretend you couldn't do it if you really tried, because you could, it's just a hard problem to solve, perhaps a harder problem than you realized, and saying you couldn't discourages others from trying. It's a challenge, but you can do it.
    I agree here on several points -

One, I think there is a general problem for beginners or those new to the challenge of approaching playing with an improvising concept. It's a big spectrum of music - and many would be greatly assisted to have help with it; goals, tools, methods, etc. Broadly - we listen, acquiring musical vernacular, and apply it to our playing. So it's a very natural, organic process. Yet, it may not be evident to someone as to HOW to do this. At the same time, there's a great deal of internal process involved in music-making - for many, it's probable that external assistance would be a great resource.

I have concern for the language we have wrt these aspects - (pedagogies, processes, etc). I think it may be okay for a person to self-appraise as being "unable" to accomplish something (as above) - so long as contexts and conditions are clearly identified (lessening the chances for discouragement, etc). Too often generalizations and platitudes are served-up, along with a little bit of information, and generally accepted as valid by the indiscriminate reader.
    First, let me say JeffD I love your thought provoking blogs. Unfortunately, they provoke (my) thoughts.

Improvisation and it's big brother composition are endeavors not for the lawful. They are not for the dutiful. Improvisation comes from contempt with what has come before. If you can't think of another way to say something, than what has already been said, well. . . you're doomed to walk the trodden path. You can't care if you step in mud. I ask you, is it so bad to step in mud 80 times to get to a path of gold? If you don't care, then really don't care. Stand there with mandolin in hand and play as if you were drunk. Step 2, learn to love it. I wish I could take credit but a pianist named Ken Werner, who wrote Effortless Mastery helped me to more fully develop my understanding.
    Thought #2 -

You'd think performance is another bailiwick, but the part that prevents one from succeeding in performance is connected to everything else. There's a proper and balanced level of give-a-rip. Also there is a point of view modification typically. First thing I would say is to get better at gift giving. Any and all gifts, no matter how small. When it comes time for me to play a gig, I don't place an over-large value on the gift that I am giving. While it's as good as I can muster, I know it's not going to be perfect. You can imagine, the folks you are playing to are just musicians without instruments. But in truth, 90% may not know how to play. Consequently, they impart your gift with more value than you do. But you have to think they're musicians to keep your ego in check. Jack Benny had no ego. If you can connect to your audience to the point where they believe they can play too, that's a great place. And you know this because you've sat and played with a few other pickers and it really gels. That truly is a great place. But hey, why play gigs if you can get the same feeling at a jam? Everybody has there own answer. There is no wrong answer.

Like you, you'll probably never see my face on a CD at Walmart. And I know you've figured it out by now, it's not musicianship that gets you to that point anyway. But my journey to a more well rounded musician, has brought me through the two aforementioned endeavors. I know for fact you're better mandolinist than I. It's like genres: We explore classical. We explore jazz. We come back a more rounded musician. If one lives long enough and is curious enough, who knows what one would explore next? But one last word of caution, "eventually" does expire, and we don't know when.
    To address the issue of "showmanship": In my sixties now, I've lately realized that to entertain, I must make a spectacle of myself! Not to become a David Lee Roth. But to enjoy the hell out of the sounds I make, and - very important - show everybody how much fun I am having. And to care about my audience having a good time, and show them this too.

I practice hard, and I'm proud of what I can do! So now I take better care of my grooming, wear nicer clothes when I perform, etc. I'm no beauty, but I want people to look at me without wincing.

It really is this simple. Like P.T. Barnum, I'm putting on a show.

More fun is being had than ever.

The whole deal is, "Everybody look at me! Dig my sounds!"
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones
    Improvisation and it's big brother composition are endeavors not for the lawful. They are not for the dutiful. Improvisation comes from contempt with what has come before. .
    There is something gigantic in what you are saying here. One corollary might be that too much love and obsession for what came before gets in the way of improvisation.

In any case, its a different take - improvising not so much to decorate or ornament or enhance a tune, but in order to disdainfully scribble on it. Hmmm. I like that. N

Not to mess it up as much as to show what it could have been or how it is inadequate or maybe the bare tune promises more than it delivers.

Improvisation as improvement.

Gigantic thoughts you have.