View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

New Packaging/SKU for D'Addario J-74 Mandolin Strings

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
D'Addario has updated their iconic J-74 mandolin string packaging and SKU (stock keeping unit). While this isn't earth shattering news, in light of the fact that this is probably the most widely used mandolin set in use in the United States and possibly other countries (our opinion, not backed by any statistics) we thought it worth sharing.

This point forward you'll see these referred to as D'Addario EJ-74 strings. Nothing else has changed according to our sources and we've reached out to the company and will report back if we find differently.

Already the new design is appearing in places many of you will be familiar with like amazon.com and Elderly. Our friends at The Mandolin Store who provided the images below said they're in the process of changing over to the new design this weekend. Not surprisingly, things don't always move as quickly in the corporate world so D'Addario's web site still reflects the old design with the new EJ-74 name.

While we don't have confirmation, we're starting to see the package redesign appearing on other D'Addario mandolin sets which we think is to be expected.

Click images to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej74-1.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	125402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej74-2.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	125403
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej74-4.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	125405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej74-3.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	125404

Submit "New Packaging/SKU for D'Addario J-74 Mandolin Strings" to Facebook Submit "New Packaging/SKU for D'Addario J-74 Mandolin Strings" to Yahoo Submit "New Packaging/SKU for D'Addario J-74 Mandolin Strings" to Google

Updated Oct-25-2014 at 12:31pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
General Mandolin Comments

Comments

Like the new vacuum sealed package ...long overdue..
    The best strings out there..IMHO
    "Hear, hear", I say re: the vacuum packaging. I love that! It's one of the first things that impressed me about about Gibson's Sam Bush Monel sets.
    I do find the 'E' designation a little odd; something which I would normally associate with an electric application..
    Agreed, the vacuum sealed package is a definite step up, but yes, I am also curious about what the "E" stands for.
    I have a query in to my contacts at D'Addario and will find out the answer behind the mystery "E" and any other changes.
    Thumbs up for the vacuum sealed package! The J74 and J75 sets packed in paper and non-vacuum plastic cover use to get (little) worse when stored for a longer period of time. I was told by a chemist that there is a slow reaction that takes place between phosphor bronze strings and the air even when the package of strings is stored properly. I hope they will produce vacuum sealed J75s as well!
    they call their acoustic guitar string sets EJ16 and such. I like the new packaging, i dont like the name change. Bad idea imo. Everyone already knows them as j74, thats just confusing to change the name now. Especially to a name that closely resembles the names they give for their acoustic guitar strings.

I love Daddario though!
    Drum roll... The E in EJ-74 stands for "Environmental." According to our source at D'Addario this denotes string sets not contained within a vinyl or plastic external sleeve.