View RSS Feed

Notes from the Field

Unexpectedly Prepared

Rate this Entry
I remember discussions about Hemingway’s story “Two Big Hearted River” (one of the best short stories you are likely to read, ever, trust me). The discussions sometimes revolve around all the stuff Nick takes camping, and was he a wuss to need all that stuff just for comfort, and the response being that if you are willing to carry it in, you get to carry it in.

I always get a special thrill when I end up using something I had questioned whether I should pack or not. I packed a length of paracord for a camping fishing trip once, only because someone said you should always pack some paracord. Turned out I needed it to set up a tree to tree clothes line to dry my waders. There it was, that little thrill.

Well the other weekend I traveled about four hours to play music with some friends. And I couldn’t decide whether to bring the resonator mandolin or not. The rez can carry far distances, (scare ducks on the lake), but at intimate volumes I love the tone of my two point arch top. Both would work, but under some circumstances only one, or the other, was optimal. And I didn’t know the circumstances.

Well, I packed the decision itself, and brought both. This was a big deal because while I didn’t know which mandolin I needed, I had been warned that I was not going to be able to park anywhere near the ultimate destination and would have to walk a considerable distance. Though not a hike, it still would be a significant effort carrying two mandolins, a gig bag, an overnight bag, and a thermos of coffee, for something over 1500 feet.

So I thought of Nick Adams and that pancake syrup as I trudged down the long, unpaved access through the park.

Well it turns out I was both right. Playing all day Saturday at the little pavilion with the fireplace, just four of us, the arch top sounded warm and loving, just right. And on Sunday, playing all day at the lodge with something like 20 or more other musicians, well without the rez I would be almost entirely lost in the crowd. But I wasn't. I was heard.

That little thrill. The thrill of being unexpectedly prepared.

And the thermos? Did I have to bring the big green thermos? Am I such a coffee snob that I can’t drink whatever was offered to the musicians by the park service? Well the line at the coffee service wound around to the back. So there too, I had to smile.

Submit "Unexpectedly Prepared" to Facebook Submit "Unexpectedly Prepared" to Yahoo Submit "Unexpectedly Prepared" to Google

Updated Feb-18-2015 at 11:27pm by JeffD

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Now I'll have to write a story about the thrill of being expectedly unprepared, and that might be a bigger one (the thrill, that is)
    Managing all the paraphernalia is part of the hobby. But its nice when it pays off.
    Jeff, You are a gifted writer. I enjoyed your piece. The concept was unique and made sense to me as one who tries to decide what instruments to bring to make the gig or jam the best possible. You made the right decision, huh? The setting you described was enjoyable to read about. Hemingway would have been proud.
    Better than being expectedly unprepared right?

I'm glad you take the time to write these JeffD, always very relatable, enjoyable reads for me
    Ah I just noticed Bertram stole my joke! Now I look like a plagiarist!