View RSS Feed

Michael Bridges

Pursuing the Perfect Pick

Rate this Entry
O.K., I'll admit that if circumstances permitted, I'd be the WORST case of MAS on record! However, that matter is out of my hands. My wife suffered a stroke last weekend, (She's doing fine, now, but still a scary time), pretty much guarantees I am where I am in terms of mando acquisition for quite some time.
I have developed a fondness for pick experimentation, tho. Figure it's a quick, relatively painless way to play around with different feels and sounds. Plus, it's just fun to hear how different picks affect my playing and tone.
I recently got in 3 what I would call upper-end picks, and been comparing and contrasting them on a number of songs and styles. Here's my observations so far.
1. Wegen M150- My first pick purchase (EVER!) that cost more than about 75 cents. The size and material feels just right in my hand. Good tone overall, and with right-hand bevel, picks clean, with good tremolo. I like it a lot for an all-around pick.
2. McCray Pick (unsure of model)- 1.5 mm, general tear-drop pick shape, somewhere in between a standard guitar pick and the Wegen, size-wise. Wasn't sure about this one at first. Seemed a bit "crashy" to my ears, but with a brighter sound that somehow worked with my MM. Finally tried turning it around and using one of the rounded edges, and it really came to life for me.Less pick-click, but still a bright tone, and plenty loud.I'm using it primarily when I want a more hard-core bluegrass sound.
3.Blue Chip TPR60-This was a gift (Thanks, Kris!), and I get a chance to see what all the fuss is about. Keep in mind, I've only been playing mando about 5 months, but even in my hands, I can tell this is truly a premium piece. Feel and fit is great. Non-slip. I get a GREAT overall tone from it, and it's really accurate for me. My definite go-to for most anything now.
It really is a kick getting to mess around with these things and just try out the different sounds and textures. Just ordered a new batch of picks I've been wanting to check out, and anxious to see how they perform,too.

Submit "Pursuing the Perfect Pick" to Facebook Submit "Pursuing the Perfect Pick" to Yahoo Submit "Pursuing the Perfect Pick" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So Mike, if you have a case of MAS, what instruments do you own?
    Unfortunately, circumstances insulate me from the insidious effects of MAS. My current situation doesn't permit me to own multiple instruments. Sometimes, it just is what it is! I'd LOVE to be able to have a really nice A, a nice F, maybe a killer oval-hole, and just dabble in trade-ups and experiment. Right now, I'm playing my Morgan Monroe MDM-2, and so far, been very happy with her. Ain't no Gilchrist , or (insert your fave top-end builder), but right now, it has a good tone and neck, and is capable of much more than I am! I'm saving toward one of Marty's beauties in the not too distant, and of course next week, I fully expect to be playing a wonderful new Collings MT2! Right now, my MAS is directed into picks (Can't find a 12 step group for this one)