View RSS Feed

Michael Bridges

No Mando Content

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Just some thoughts, and they may go on for a while.
Visited the family last weekend in N.C., for a ceremony honoring my dad. For 25+ yrs., he ran the aquatics center for the local parks & rec. During that time, he had literally hundreds of kids 13-21 yrs old under his wing. He became a friend, confessor, mentor, disciplinarian, and huge influence on a huge number of them.I guess I never realized how big an influence until I saw so many of them come back from all over the country to see him, and show how important he had been in their lives. He's 77 now, and suffering from Alzheimers. Every time I visit or talk on the phone, I see this insidious syndrome take a little bit more of the man I've known. Any of you who have been thru it know what I mean.It hurts! He and my mom were married when they were 18, I came along about 1 1/2 yrs. later. I remember growing up surrounded by early Elvis, Everly Bros., and Ricky Nelson (highly underrated IMO). Coming from small town N.C., he was a pretty conservative guy, but never rode me as I ventured out, grew my hair, and turned into a late 60's-early 70's rocker. He and my mom tolerated my bass practice (at volume) into the late hours with no complaints.He even managed my band all through high school!Later, when I moved to Atlanta, they continually came down to hear me play, travelling around the S.E anywhere to hear us and show support.I can't explain how this unconditional love and support kept me going when I needed it most. We've stayed close thru the years, always able to just call and talk football, music, how the grandkids were doing (especially that!), and just stay close.That's what's really hurting me, I see so much of that being stolen from him, and it angers me! Nothing I can do about it, just enjoy the good days when they come, and try to show him some of the support he's always shown me. He is, and always will be my hero and my rock, and staring down the barrel of losing him is rough.
I guess the whole point of this ramble is: I don't know what your relationship is with your parents.Please take the time to let them know you remember them. You just don't know when it may end, or in what way. If you have kids, show them support in whatever they decide to do. You never know how it'll turn out, but it will be worth it to be a part of their lives. Sorry to carry on like this, but some of this has been waiting to come out. Thanks for putting up with me!

Submit "No Mando Content" to Facebook Submit "No Mando Content" to Yahoo Submit "No Mando Content" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Beautiful! I lost my Dad when he was only 48-years-old (38 years ago) and even though I have now outlived him by 13 years, he remains the hero of my life. I lost my mother 8 years ago...she was my angel. As hard as these losses are to bear, I think we can count ourselves as being among those who have been truly blessed. Many are not so fortunate. My thoughts are with you.
    Updated Aug-24-2013 at 4:20pm by lorrainehornig
    Just saw your comments on my long, rambling, emotional blog entry. Thanks for your kind words. Sorry to hear about your loss of your parents, I don't know how I'm going to handle it when it comes! Guess we just keep up the mando-therapy, and live life! Best to you, and happy pickin'
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrainehornig
    Beautiful! I lost my Dad when he was only 48-years-old (38 years ago) and even though I have now outlived him by 13 years, he remains the hero of my life. I lost my mother 8 years ago...she was my angel. As hard as these losses are to bear, I think we can count ourselves as being among those who have been truly blessed. Many are not so fortunate. My thoughts are with you.
    Sometimes I think that illness is a chain on our soul. My mother's illness was of a chronic respiratory nature and it severely curtailed her ability to do what she loved. I know exactly how you feel when you say, "I don't know how I'm going to handle it when the time comes." I said the same thing to a friend with regard to my mother, who, as it turned out, passed away 2 weeks later. All I can say is that I really believe that death is not the end of it. When our family gathered on her mountaintop to honor my mother, there was suddenly the strongest wind I had ever felt up there. In my heart I felt it was my mother saying, "Look at me now!" Alzheimers is a cruel disease...but it only affects your father's body and not his spirit. When the time comes for your father, who sounds like a wonderful man, to leave this life, his spirit will be set free, but he will still be close by. You're right about the "mando-therapy"...keeping busy gives us an avenue for dealing with the grief. It is also a way to honor your father. Just say, "Dad, this is for you!" He will know.
    We've been to so many concerts and listened to so much music together. He's a stone-cold bluegrass lover. Steeldrivers are coming to a small theater up in my hometown, where he still lives, and I got us tickets. Really looking forward to taking him out for a night of great music!(and maybe dinner after!)
    Wow...that's totally awesome. Have a great time!
    I hope you and your father have a wonderful time. Great band and great company.
    Just stumbled into the blogs section of the cafe.
    You bring up a very good point, not many teenagers or people realise how good they have things till they are gone. Something we're all guilty of. Show family love while you have them and enjoy the good times, man. You father sounds like a great man. having a supportive family really can shape a person I know it's shaped me