View RSS Feed

Michael Bridges

A Week of Revelations

Rate this Entry
Well, the week started out great! Been working more and more with the new MM, and really feeling comfortable with it.
New song-of-the-month in the Newbies section is Gold Rush, and for some reason, this one just clicked with me as one I wanted to put some hard work into. Don't know why it never dawned on me before that almost all the "hot" bluegrassy licks I hear come from these old fiddle tunes, but it really hit me with this one.Long weekend, decided to really pour it into this tune.After a day and a half, got the melody pretty well locked in, and just worked on getting it clean (I thought!) Sat down last night to record for the first time, and let myself in for a real eye-opener.My fingering and pick attack sound atrocious! Sounds completely different out front than it does while I'm playing.A completely brutal critic, this mic may be the best thing to happen to my playing. I've heard Marty Jacobson play this mando, so I can't lay any blame on it.LOL Oh well, if you know what to work on, there's only one way to go,right? Back to work!

Submit "A Week of Revelations" to Facebook Submit "A Week of Revelations" to Yahoo Submit "A Week of Revelations" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Indeed. Back in my youthful electric days I discovered that the best practice of all - the most bang for the buck - is to listen to recordings of my playing. It's a two-edged sword. You will hear all the errors of your ways, but you will also hear yourself playing things you never would have thought you could do. Either way, it brings improvement the next time you play. The best method I found to generate this sword is to have a jam session with extended instrumentals.
    Thanks,Tom. That says it nicely. I've been downloading any "Jam" type tracks I can just for that purpose. I hit on a version of Whiskey Before Breakfast in the MP3 section that sounds like a couple of guys jamming to that, and it really opened my eyes about the fiddle tunes I thought were just strict, cut& dried boring!
    The fiddle tunes present an interesting problem around here. They really are super practice and fun to play, but most everybody around here, in my experience, claims that they don't play any fiddle tunes - even most fiddle players. Old Sausage is one of the few. So they wind up being of extremely limited use at most of the jam sessions. I played Soldier's Joy at a recent get together, figuring everybody can throw in on that one. The best bluegrass picker there - a great musician - just sat there. He told me afterwards that it is one of those hoola hoop songs. It just goes round and round with out an end.
    That's a little eye opening seems all I work on is fiddle tunes. I'd hate to have a sit down, sit this one out affect on people. Mike I had the same thing happen the few times I have recorded myself. Kind of brutal to hear but I guess points you in the right direction as to what needs to be worked on. I guess Tom already made that point so I should erase all this but, keep at it Mike I'm sure you'll find it improving each time. Guess I should re think my love of fiddle tunes.
    Dusty, I encourage learning fiddle tunes. There may be a lot of folks playing them wherever you are, just not around Atlanta. Mike, we ought to have another jam session with David and Marty, et al., so we know some fiddle tunes will be played.
    Works for me,Tom.Good idea. Kris, what I was saying on Fiddle Tunes, is I can see finally how to "steal" licks to use anywhere I can.I'm gonna keep on, just try and not be so regimented in them.
    Oh, I gotcha you Mike. I'm sure that your advice would help me too. Thank you.

Kris