View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

What's right about The Time Jumpers is what's right about music

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Beg our pardon but we're here to tell you a story about our current favorite band on the planet and there isn't a mandolin in sight.

Meet The Time Jumpers, the ultimate example of what is really right with music. Counting 11 strong in the group, as the band members will tell you, it's really a country music big band. The members are made up of some of the hottest in-demand musicians in Nashville: first call studio musicians, Opry back-up pros, road tour cats in the bands of legends and young upstarts, and at least one bona-fide superstar who joined the band after being asked. Not just great super-pickers, real musicians in the finest sense. Wanting to play the music of their choosing they took matters into their own hands and formed a band that plays on Monday nights, usually an off day for working musicians. They all have music day (and night) jobs of their own! The goal here was to have fun making music, but they're gaining a wider audience.

Bravo.

For my two cents, there's nothing hipper in Nashville than what's going on with The Time Jumpers. Great male and female vocals, triple fiddles, accordion (hey, that's not Nashville!), three guitars, pedal steel, bass and drums. Guys like Ranger Doug of Riders In The Sky playing rhythm guitar that would make Freddie Green proud. Dawn Sears on vocals who should be a country music legend. The remarkable Jeff Taylor on accordion. And so much more. So much talent but the best thing about them is that the collective unit is stronger than just the parts. There's a good reason country music legends past and present come out on Mondays and stand in line to hear these cats, but find out for yourself. Lots of good videos of them on YouTube, and two great albums to boot.

Can't wait to see them in person, and I'll be booking a flight to Nashville soon to do just that. Musicians playing what they want to play for the sheer joy of it. That's just right!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timejumpers.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	92269

Get their music:
amazon.com | iTunes | From the band web site

A great vocal band, couldn't resist sharing these two wonderful instrumental videos.

The Time Jumpers at the club 3rd And Lindsley, Nashville, Tennessee - June 11, 2012.
[YOUTUBE=2w-skhjjY90][/YOUTUBE]

The Time Jumpers at The Station Inn, Nashville, Tennessee - March 16, 2007.
[YOUTUBE=vdNgw325heU][/YOUTUBE]

Submit "What's right about The Time Jumpers is what's right about music" to Facebook Submit "What's right about The Time Jumpers is what's right about music" to Yahoo Submit "What's right about The Time Jumpers is what's right about music" to Google

Updated Oct-02-2012 at 1:26pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
General Mandolin Comments

Comments

Great blog...and a great band well worth going out of your way to see.

Just an fyi...the Time Jumpers are not playing Monday nights at the Station Inn any more. It looks like they moved to 3rd and Lindsley. I went down there to see them one Monday at the Station Inn, and Vince Gill was with them and he was playing electric mandolin on a few songs...right when he started joining them regularly. I think Dawn Sears is his back up singer...and she is amazing.

Not sure the reason they left the Station Inn (I think they played there for over 20 years), but it is so cool to see talent like this playing for fun. It is also a chance to see the real talent in Nashville, the guys that make the music happen in the studio and on the stage for country superstars. Plus, any chance to see Ranger Doug is totally worth it...legend in of himself!
    Man, now I gotta spend more money on music. Thanks a lot, Scott. Jeez.
    Love these musicians. First time I heard them at the Station Inn I was hooked. That was long enough ago that Doug Green wasn't a member yet, although (of course) he got invited up on stage to play that night.
    Remember watching the DVD with Dick Barrett. As he put it "They've got it." When Larry Franklin joined up, Dick made sure to give me a history lesson about Larry, Louis and Major Franklin since he had played music with all those fiddlers. Great musicians, wonderful people !! You will definitely enjoy seeing and hearing them in person.
    The Time Jumpers. Yes, yes.
    A personal fave... and the reason all trips to Nashville include a monday night stay!
    How hard is it to get into a show? I could call them I suppose but if anyone has been to one be nice to hear the experience. The 3rd and Lindsley location is bigger than the Station Inn I hear but they still sell out every show. So, how early should one show up (and do they have food?) in case I'm sitting for a long time.
    Scott

New location does have food and my experience was good. Since they have moved to the new location you can get tickets in advance - just checked the venue's web site as well as the Time Jumpers' site and that appears to still be true. Show up plenty early because the band occasionally wanders around before the show. Have a good time. I am envious !!!
    Well, I've got a story. The Mrs. and I went to Nashville about 2 or 3 years ago on vacation. I had been checking on live music at The Station Inn, because I have heard many good artists play there. Well, once I saw the Time Jumpers were there on Monday, I wasn't very excited because I had never heard of them, and you couldn't order tickets for the show. So I all but forgot about it. We took the bus tour around Nashville and the guide mentioned the Monday night show at the Station Inn with the Time Jumpers. Then mentioned from time to time, Vince Gill sits in with the band. That's all I needed to hear, and told my wife to plan on going.
    Well when the doors open we get our tickets and sit down about the middle of the stage about 10 feet away. The murmurs and speculation of Mr. Gill's arrival continued to grow. I looked to the side of the stage after awhile and saw, not Vince, but Ranger Doug standing by the stage by himself. My jaw hit the ground. "Deb, that's Ranger Doug from, Rider's in the Sky, I must go meet him. I got several pictures with him and had a great conversation with him also. A real Gentleman. I knew we were in for a good yodel or two during the show. When I get seated again, in walks Vince Gill. This is almost becoming a surreal fever dream. He is pulling out his guitar just 10 feet from me and setting up shop.
    The rest of the band starts milling about and they get the show underway. The tight playing of the 3 fiddler's cannot be oversold. Mr. and Mrs. Sears are pros, pros. Dawn Sears sings like an angel. The steel guitar is epic, we are having the time of our lives. Mr. Gill has no ego, here at all. He is just a member of this band and plays his part like a pro. Each piece of this band gets featured including the accordian and no one disappoints. They played for 2 and a half hours. Had I known what I was in store for I would have gladly paid 100 bucks a ticket for that show. Vince took a pic with everyone who asked him and was a real gentleman. I've got a great one of him and the wife. I sat and watched a living legend and some of the finest musicians on the planet from 10 feet away for twenty bucks a head. Yeah, I got a story. I had to make 2 posts to complete my story. Hope that was ok?
    OK by me.