View RSS Feed

Notes from the Field

How much should I spend on a mandolin?

Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
I have been thinking about the cost of a mandolin.

Folks go on and on about why an F style costs more than an A style, or why a vintage this costs more than a vintage that. And there are numerous discussion about getting the best mandolin you can for under $300.00.

I understand, right down to my bones I understand, having serious concerns about money. And I have been through my share of scratchy times. And this is not about how to manage that, or how to get more for what discretionary money you do have. Others are wiser and more disciplined than me. Let them comment.

This is about taking into accounting the true cost.

My experience is that getting a mandolin is like getting a puppy. Even for free they are very expensive. If you can’t afford it, you really can’t afford it. This is because, if you enjoy it more than somewhat, your life changes forever. The musical life is costly, and the one time cost of the mandolin is small by comparison.

Lets say you get a mandolin for free. For nothing. Here, please take my mandolin. I want you to have it.

If you figure the cost of a set up, a case, a tuner, a strap, picks, tune books, music stand, metronome, ok a capo, we are up to roughly $500. And that is being modest, a lot of folks get more picks, better tuner, high end cases and lots more tune books, and I have not included the bling and paraphernalia many folks like, arm rests, strap buttons, remove (or add) a pick guard, change out the nut or bridge, a pickup, and then there’s an instrument stand, a digital tune recorder, a foot stool, a cool little box for your picks, ... OK, you can spend as much as you want.

But the most minimalist mandolin enthusiast is likely going to get, eventually, a case, a tuner, a strap, some picks, some tune books, a music stand, and a metronome and perhaps a capo. And not getting a set up is no savings, believe me.

Now you have yearly costs. $24 in strings a year, if you change your strings 3 or 4 times a year. No biggie. You think thats it?

The largest is annual expense is travel costs. Different for everyone. But for me, there is a couple of jams a week at a distance of 50 or 60 miles, and a couple of festivals a year at a distance of 600 miles, and local jams and party travel. So I estimate about $750 to $1000 a year just in travel. Your mileage will vary, as will the price of gas, but I guarantee that with even a modicum of enthusiasm, your travel costs will eventually become significant. This is not extravagant. As before, you can spend as much as you want, and more.

Did I mention festivals? You will eventually go to a festival. So that means, at a minimum, a tent and a sleeping bag. A tee shirt and coffee mug? Tune books you would not ordinarily get.

So to put it all together - that free mandolin could cost you $500 to $800 dollars, and with a passionate but not out of control musical lifestyle, and additional $600 to $1000 (or more) per year,ever year.

Or did you think you would buy your mandolin, strum it a few times, and go back to mowing lawn and doing dishes?

And I have not included road food, road coffee, additional festival camping paraphernalia like lanterns, coolers, camp chairs, and then there are sound systems - microphones and amps and mike stands and extra cables. Does not include a workshop every other year, gig bags to carry all this cool stuff, cost of food and drink for the music parties you will host. Does not include lessons once a week, and a camera for your computer to share videos.

And your family. Now everyone dreams of getting their family to share their passions. So whether or not it happens, you probably want it to happen. So now your kids are interested, and their instruments are not free, nor their tune books and bling and camping equipment...

Don't as yet have a family? You are likely to meet the love of your life. (And she or he is likely to be a banjo player.) Do you know the upfront and annual cost of even a frugal love. And this is not including a marriage. (Though you will save some on the reception music if you have a jam.)

So if you were to include the costs of the impact of getting a mandolin on your whole life, you would never do it. Even for a free mandolin, much less several hundred for a first mandolin and several hundred for a second mandolin (oh you know you will get a second mandolin).

That is why I have to chuckle when folks balk at a one time cost of a high end pick, or fretting over an additional $50 in the cost of a mandolin. For those who have decided that the whole mandolin life is not out of reach, balking about these small one time expenditures just seems amusing.

But the truth is you are going to wrap your life around something. Whether its mandolin, or fishing, or hunting, or great books, or great coffee, or brewing beer, or boating (OMG), Civil War re-enacting, gourmet cooking, or wood working, leather craft, photography (OMG), treasure hunting with metal detector, hot rodding, or restoring vintage farm tractors, carving duck decoys, raising pure bred dogs, or... or... well you get the picture. We have to make a living sure, but we have to make a life. And the costs involved in making a life are why we make a living.

So my advice is to go into denial. Deep denial. Don’t look at the cost of all the wonderful ways your life and life’s priorities will change. Go about it blindly, incrementally, getting the best you can justify at each stage, and moving on from there.

And then look back and laugh at what you have become that you could not have predicted. You will anyway.

Submit "How much should  I spend on a mandolin?" to Facebook Submit "How much should  I spend on a mandolin?" to Yahoo Submit "How much should  I spend on a mandolin?" to Google

Updated May-20-2016 at 9:02am by JeffD

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great post. Lots of good things in there.
    I actually spend a bit more on travel. It all depends on the car pooling. I am thinking something more than $1500 per year if I do all the driving.
    It's ok to be unsure and question. I went through that for a long time with the mandolin, (should I or shouldn't I? I had to get over this hump in my mind if it was worth justifying the purchase or not), but am so happy to have made the purchase and take lessons. We all need something else in life, beyond the ordinary. A man can't live by bread alone! The truth is, we all have a need to express ourselves and be heard, and we all need something beyond the everyday life, too, and experience beautiful sounds. I find it pleasurable to hear the sweet chiming sound of the mandolin. It really makes me happy. Some people get a coffee every day (or two)--well, there's a cost to everything. What does that add up to everyday? There's a physical cost to drinking coffee everyday too. I think it's all about having priorities and striving for a balanced life. Who knows where the journey will take us? We can travel a thousand miles, but all journeys begin with one small step! Music really is a worthy investment, so I try not to see it in terms of dollars and cents. But I had to get past that way of thinking myself. I think of music as food, ie, essential. Music feeds your spirit and is an international language that goes beyond the here and now. I hope you get playing and really enjoying the whole journey. Not only do I love the sound of my mandolin, it gives me great satisfaction looking at the beauty of its construction. So curvy and I find it so much more comfortable to hold than my bulky neglected guitar!
    Hi JeffD,
    I just realized that you have a lot of posts on this cafe and you are well into your mandolin experience and very knowledgeable as well, so obviously I don't need to convince you to start playing!!

I appreciated your discussion about the cost to playing and had to chime in with the above thread, (and now this one). Here's another spin to your question---what is the cost of not having the mandolin in one's life?

Recently the mando brought some little miracles into my life including teaching me to sing and play at the same time which I couldn't do before. It also got me over my imagined but real fear of learning chords. So this is taking me out of myself and into bigger areas and I feel very happy that the mandolin came into my life. It brings me joy. I know that sounds corny, and there's no way around that sentiment, but it really is a great addition to my life and a soulful companion indeed!!

I look forward to reading more of your posts,
    Rosemary
    Rosemary you are so right, the cost of not having a mandolin is gigantic.

Not to mention how stupid I would look spending four or five hours a week picking nothing.
    Hi JeffD,
    I still think it's funny that I thought you should go ahead and learn, (LOL!). You might have switched careers or hobbies and picked fruit for a living!
    Rosemary
    Its funny, but yea its heard to figure out where someone is at with text alone.
    Remember, Jeff, you can't take it with you. Besides, all of that spending you mentioned is good for the economy ... it enables others to earn their food and shelter. If it sounds like a lot of money, remember ... it's so much less expensive than boats or motorcycles!
    Jim
    oh my, the cup is half empty because of taking up mando? I think not.

Playing need not become a 'lifestyle' issue. I don't discount any of what the marginal costs are, and ive incurred them all, as well as a short bout of MAS,
    but all of these things are options.

There is a huge amount of info, from set up, to tunes, on the net, for the price of a sheet of paper. There is a great deal of joy from simply playing, even alone. Friends with Benefits (the musical kind) are often also free.

to the would be mando buyer. Don't be discouraged. Anyone with tenacity can love mando, even on a budget. (ill let you know when this happens to me LOL)
    Well said Steve. If you consider the cost benefit ratio, it is always well worth it to play mandolin.

Always.
    Nice post and comments.

Let the games begin!

You bring up some excellent points, Jeff. It seems to me about the only way someone could truly spend the $300 and be done with it would be to read up here, buy the mandolin, and then never return to The Mandolin Cafe again. This place is a killer if a person is striving for musical instrument contentment.