View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

Tutorial: How to Subscribe to Mandolin Cafe MP3 Podcast

Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average.
EDIT: Since posting this a few years ago we've also added a video tutorial on how to subscribe to the podcast which some of you might find easier.

We're going to show you how to add the Mandolin Cafe MP3 podcast to your iTunes software in 5 easy steps in this brief web tutorial. This is not difficult so if you're gun shy about working with a little bit of technology, read on.

The MP3 podcast is a collection of most of the free tunes available on our MP3 page. We currently have 226 (EDIT: Sept. 13, 2015, 520+) mandolin cuts from the Podcast from commercial recordings in this collection and by subscribing to the Podcast, you can have all of these tunes added to your iTunes free. That, my friends is a lot of listening material!

Step 1 - you need iTunes software installed on your PC or Mac. I'm going to assume you'll take care of that piece of it. It comes installed by default on Macintosh.

Step 2 - launch iTunes and go to the Advanced Menu and select Subscribe to Podcast (see screen shot below -- click the image if you need a better view):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subscribe.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	72933

Step 3 - you're presented with a small dialogue box and in it you'll enter the Podcast web address which we'll provide right here for you to copy if you wish:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/mp3/mp3.xml

Name:	subscribe2.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	72934

Step 4 - Click OK on the window with the Podcast address and iTunes will add the entry:

Name:	subscribe3.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	72935

Step 5 - Click the right facing > arrow next to the Mandolin Cafe Podcast and then the Get All button. At this point, all tunes will begin downloading to your iTunes. This will take awhile--go for a walk. As you visit in the future you'll have the option of downloading new tunes we've added, and we're adding them all the time. You're done! Now you have 226 free tunes to enjoy listening to via iTunes.

Name:	subscribe4.jpg 
Views:	3176 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	72936

That's it. Got questions? Post them here.

Disclaimer: all recordings are commercially available and used with the written permission of the musicians that provided them. Support those folks by purchasing their full recordings from the links found on our MP3 page. Want your own tunes added to this collection? Needs to meet these requirements.

Submit "Tutorial: How to Subscribe to Mandolin Cafe MP3 Podcast" to Facebook Submit "Tutorial: How to Subscribe to Mandolin Cafe MP3 Podcast" to Yahoo Submit "Tutorial: How to Subscribe to Mandolin Cafe MP3 Podcast" to Google

Updated Sep-13-2015 at 8:30pm by Scott Tichenor

Tags: mp3 podcast
Categories
Mandolin Cafe Site Information

Comments

Excellent - thanks Scott!
    Fantastic! This coincides with my purchase of a new ipod touch and this will help fill it up!
    Thanks!
    Thanks a bunch.
    Thanks very much for the tunes!

(The detailed instructions were especially welcome--and needed.)
    Awesome. And easy . . . if you are slightly smarter than me.
    Cool
    Wow! Very sweet. I messed up the instructions, and still made it work. Great stuff. Thanks to Scott and all the artists.
    I had five, now I have 6 mc podcasts after this. The > you mention does not appear in Mac OSX. Any help?
    awesome! thanks very much
    Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie
    I had five, now I have 6 mc podcasts after this. The > you mention does not appear in Mac OSX. Any help?
    The last screen shot above shows it after its been clicked--on the left side.
    Ok, I can see all these new MP3's as individual Podcasts in the the Podcast section of my itunes, and can play them there. What I'm having trouble with is seeing the songs in the "Music" section, and when I copy to "purchased" or any other play list, they don't show up on my Ipod in either the General Music list or any of the playlists I copied to when I update my Ipod. Am I doing something wrong? or is it not possible to load all these new songs into an Ipod in playlists because they came from a Podcast?
    I wouldn't think you'd be able to copy these to the purchased section for the simple reason that they weren't purchased -- they don't show up in the album display area because that's not what it is. Play list: find what song you want from either purchased or podcast and drag and drop it onto "Untitled Playlist" on the left side of iTunes. That should work fine, and then of course you can rename it.
    Ok thanks.I'll keep trying. Nice to have this stuff on Itunes, will be even nicer to be able to have the songs portable on my Ipod. Thanks again for posting the directions.
    FYI, for those of you on Blackberry, according to one of our members you can now grab this podcast for that platform. Here's a link to that in case you wish to post a question there for the individual that posted that comment.
    Dreams really do come true...
    Tip: You don't need iTunes. This can also be done in WinAmp Media Player. Just go to "Podcast directory" -> "Subscription" in Media Library, and then click "Add". Paste the URL ( http://www.mandolincafe.com/mp3/mp3.xml ).

Once it's added, you can select any number of items and choose "Play media" or "Download media". I just selected all and am currently downloading everything.

Possible in any media player that supports RSS podcasts. I also have it in MyPod for Android.
    I can't seem to get this to work on my Mac! I hate it when I'm stupider than everyone else! When I followed the directions, it only downloaded one 4 minute episode. It doesn't look like the screen shot you showed. On the left, it says Podcasts, on the right, it says mandolin cafe mp3 podcast 1 episode. No right facing arrow...

Well, I'm making progress. I changed the view to list view, and now I see the 'get all' button! Hopefully, this will work!

Thanks so much!
    Thanks Scott! Now I can listen even when away from the computer!
    Hello Scott,
    Thank you for making this available.
    I have tried all the steps above and I am still not able to find the "Get All" button, It doesn't seem to appear. I have a fairly up to date version of iTunes. Could that be the problem?
    I can get them to download individually by double clicking on the individual tunes, abut I cannot find the Get All button.
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    This is awesome. Thanks for the instructions.
    Since posting this a few years ago we've also added a video tutorial on how to subscribe to the podcast which some of you might find easier.
    With the new iTunes I has to go to podcasts and then list mode before I could find the arrow that leads to the get all option.