View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #59 w/ Special Guest Matt Witler

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
This Mandolin Monday, Matt Witler brings us a cross-picking extravaganza on his Gilchrist F5 with this arrangement of Bela Fleck's piece "The Whistle Tune."

Matt is a Berklee graduate and an award winning mandolinist from the Boston area. I first met him back in 2013 at Mike Marshall's Acoustic Music Seminar, and since then Matt has really taken off. In recent years he has been making some big waves in the bluegrass and Americana scenes as a part of The Lonely Heartstring Band.

Here's a few words from Matt about the video: "This is my version of the Whistle Tune by Bela Fleck. I've always loved this tune off the Flecktones album, "The Hidden Land," and I wanted to see if and how it could work on the mandolin. Parts of it are direct transcriptions of Bela, but most of it is an interpretation. It's been a fun challenge!"

Connect with Matt for more info about his music and tour schedule at the links below:

www.mattwitler.com
www.lonelyheartstringband.com
www.facebook.com/LonesomeHeartstringBand
www.youtube.com/user/LonelyHSBand

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #59 w/ Special Guest Matt Witler" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #59 w/ Special Guest Matt Witler" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #59 w/ Special Guest Matt Witler" to Google

Comments

Matt, nicely done. You are a madman! That's some fierce crosspicking. Welcome to Mandolin Mondays!
    Lovely, my friend.
    Wow! Nicely done, Matt!
    Steve
    Thanks for that inspirational treat.
    Dis-amn!
    Wow.
    Wow is right!
    Just want to say thanks for these Mandolin Monday posts! It's really inspiring seeing all these fresh pickers! Not only is David's music fresh and creative, but it's awesome to see these other pickers too. I frequent YouTube to watch Matt demo the new mandolins at his local shop and always enjoyed his picking. Between him and David and the new guard rolling in its a very exciting time to be part of the mandolin community.