• New Music from Andrew Buckner- Coffee and a Good Book

Andrew Buckner- Coffee and a Good Book

Monterey, Tenn. — Andrew Buckner a mandolinist/guitarist from middle Tennessee who performs and records in the Nashville area has announced the release of his EP Coffee and a Good Book.

About the project Buckner said, "Coffee and a Good Book was born out of the desire to record a great mandolin, in a simple, delicate, and intimate way.

"The Northfield Model M proved to be the perfect instrument for this project as it was extremely responsive, even to the most delicate touch, and recorded such a complex tone no matter what was asked of it. As far as the tunes were concerned, I wanted to provide a good sampling of my journey as a player.

"No track made it to this EP unless I genuinely enjoyed playing it, and as one can see from the eclectic song list, I drew inspiration from a variety of genres and sounds."

Tracks

• Earl Grey in the Morn
    • Dirge
    • Somewhere over the Rainbow
    • Jerusalem Ridge
    • Coffee and a Good Book

Listen

The title track from the recording Coffee and a Good Book.

Biography

Andrew began performing, primarily on the guitar, in 2004, and studied music at Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. Since graduation, Andrew has played hundreds of shows in the Southeast and Midwest. During this time, he recorded three, albums with the band Steel Bridge and performs regularly with the group. In the fall of 2012, Andrew worked briefly as guitarist with the band Wisewater featuring Forrest O'Connor and Kate Lee. In 2015, he switched his performance/recording focus to mandolin, and has been featured on multiple studio projects since.

Additional Information

Comments 23 Comments
      atbuckner21 -
      Thanks so much Scott! I really appreciate your support, and I am very thankful to be a part of this community!
      JSanta -
      Loved the title track! I'll definitely order this one soon
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSanta View Post
      Loved the title track! I'll definitely order this one soon
      Thanks so much for the encouragement!
      LillianBelle -
      Bought on Amazon, listening as I type! Great stuff! "Earl Grey In The Morn" and "Coffee and A Good Book" are my favorites!
      atbuckner21 -
      Lillian,
      Thank you so much!!!!!! I had so much fun writing and recording those! I really appreciate your support!
      Delaware -
      Wonderful and nicely recorded. I love the natural sound.
      atbuckner21 -
      Delaware,
      Thanks so much. It was recorded using a DPA D:vote instrument mic, and a Northfield Model M with Engelman top. I can't say enough about that mandolin! I love it so much
      blauserk -
      Bought the EP on iTunes this evening. I really enjoy the spare sound of solo mandolin, and the recording is excellent.
      Clement Barrera-Ng -
      I just got the album from Amazon as well. Really great work Andrew. Nice recording and playing. Especially love the title track - is that an original by you?

I'm really glad to hear that you are loving the Model M and making such wonderful music with it. I wish I can say I'm doing the same with your old Pava - the fault is entirely in the user.
      brenstaf -
      Andrew, congratulations on your new release! Really enjoyed your title track! I live in Monterey also and just discovered your music through Facebook. Is great to see you here on the Cafe. Hope to hear you perform sometime. :-)
      Jack Roberts -
      Great! I am listening to the album now. I just took a break from reading a good book and enjoying my coffee to tell say how much I enjoy solo mandolin music.
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blauserk View Post
      Bought the EP on iTunes this evening. I really enjoy the spare sound of solo mandolin, and the recording is excellent.
      Thanks so much for getting it! I had the idea in mind for awhile to either record solo mandolin or mandolin and acoustic guitar only for that very reason. I really appreciate you listening and your support!
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
      I just got the album from Amazon as well. Really great work Andrew. Nice recording and playing. Especially love the title track - is that an original by you?

I'm really glad to hear that you are loving the Model M and making such wonderful music with it. I wish I can say I'm doing the same with your old Pava - the fault is entirely in the user.
      Thanks so much for getting the record! The title is an original. It's a melody I kept humming for a couple of years, but it never turned into anything. A few months ago the chord structure of the song materialized while practicing and they seemed like a natural pair. I am not one of the lucky ones who hears something before I play it, but this was as close I have ever gotten! I love my M, but that Pava is lovely and I am sure it enjoys being owned by you!! Keep in touch, and thanks for the encouragement Clement!
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by brenstaf View Post
      Andrew, congratulations on your new release! Really enjoyed your title track! I live in Monterey also and just discovered your music through Facebook. Is great to see you here on the Cafe. Hope to hear you perform sometime. :-)
      Thanks so much for getting the EP! You live in Monterey????!!!! Email me and we need to get coffee sometime! My wife and I live off of Woodcliff Rd within 1 mile of the BPC. My email is abuckner@thebradleyagency.net. Thanks again!!!
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
      Great! I am listening to the album now. I just took a break from reading a good book and enjoying my coffee to tell say how much I enjoy solo mandolin music.
      Jack,
      I love this comment! Thanks for taking the time to not only listen, but to send another mando-lover encouragement. I hope the EP provides the background for many more books and many more coffees (I am about to have a coffee now). I love solo mandolin myself, and when I worked on this project it became apparent that there is a lack of solo mandolin recordings available. Most are themed, or focus around a composer (Bach, Mozart, etc - which I love so much) and I was excited to create a record that focused on non-themed or composer based ideas. Thanks again for your nice message, have a great weekend!
      Paul Statman -
      Such a beautiful song and expressive tone on this title track of yours, Andrew. I wish you great success with this recording.
      Peace and Love
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
      Such a beautiful song and expressive tone on this title track of yours, Andrew. I wish you great success with this recording.
      Peace and Love
      Thanks so much! I really appreciate you listening, and I glad you enjoy the title track! I hope you know your encouragement means a ton! Have a great MLK day!
      Alfons -
      Nice work Andrew, and great accompaniment to Peets Ethiopian Supernatural, which only comes around once a year. Really enjoyed the solo mandolin format, the mix of material, and your playing.
      atbuckner21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
      Nice work Andrew, and great accompaniment to Peets Ethiopian Supernatural, which only comes around once a year. Really enjoyed the solo mandolin format, the mix of material, and your playing.
      Alfons,
      Thanks for taking the time to post on here about the EP. I am glad you like the format, and that it accompanied a nice cup of coffee. You were kind to post this, and I hope you use this record alongside many more cups of Joe!
      monk -
      I just ordered this EP. I really love it. Andrew, I liked your rendition of Jerusalem Ridge. Earl Grey in the Morn and then Coffee and a Good Book fit my morning perfectly. I am stuck in the house in Houston due to heavy rain and flooding enjoying my coffee and a good EP. Thanks.