View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. First kit mandolin

I have just ordered my first kit mandolin f5 I would like to know where to I get the stain to stain it and finish to finish it I would like to do a sunburst to it and I also was wondering about tap tunning what note should the wood be tuned to thanks
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mandolin Mondays #61 w/ Special Guest Ethan Setiawan

Today, special MM guest Ethan Setiawan takes on the monumental Chick Corea composition "Spain" with his Clark F5 Mandolin.

Ethan is a Berklee student here in Boston and is already known in acoustic circles for his diverse musicianship. He started out studying with jazz mandolin luminary Don Stiernberg, and since then he has continued to branch out into other styles such as bluegrass, funk, and many others. In 2014 ...

Updated Feb-27-2017 at 11:16am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tiny Rick - Rick and Morty [Acoustic]

Two weeks until I'm back with more jazz content. This week I did an arrangement of a song from a favorite animated show. It's a bit folky.

4. heavy, medium or thin picks for beginning mandolin player?

so i ve been playing the mando for about a month and i think im pretty good but im not great and i could use a lot of improvement.
    i got one pick when i bought the mandolin and its thin/heavy, but i found another pick at home and its thin. I cracked the thin pick, but i like it better than the thick one.
    also the pick occasionally flies out my hand or i find it slipping? is that because of the think im using or is it just i need better pick grip?

THANKS!! this really ...
  5. Mando Mayhem

This one is older than 20 years- yikes!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartoon.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	154194
  6. Mandolin Mondays #60 w/ Special Guest Jarrod Walker

This week Jarrod Walker brings us a classy chord melody arrangement of Paul McCartney's "Here, There and Everywhere," played on a powerful Gibson Doyle Lawson Model mandolin.

Originally from Florida, Jarrod is now an in demand Nashville-based mandolinist. From an early age, Jarrod has made waves in the bluegrass scene, but his strong tone and imaginative playing continues to cut through in whatever genre or situation he finds ...
  7. 1995 Gibson F-5V Fern Bozeman (Luthier?)

I'm looking for info on luthiers who worked for Gibson during '95 and earlier. The luthier who signed my mando had poor handwriting and it's hard to make out the letters of the signature.

The first name might be Ray or Paul the last name begins with B, Bru... maybe? Anyone have knowledge of this era of Gibson builders?

I've been combing through classifieds and google without much luck.
    Tags: 1995, f-5v, gibson
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Title Theme - Animal Crossing [Acoustic] (#46)

Here is this week's cover!

It's a mandolin/guitar arrangement of the title theme from one of my favorite games as a kid. I always dug the minimalistic tendency of this soundtrack.

In other news! I just finished recording a jazz record with bassist Michael Gurrola. I'll be posting some material from it as soon as we put a video together.

9. Aaron Weinstein's Etude Thursday (7 of 7)

Sheet music for this etude can be found in my book, MANDOLIN CHORD MELODY SYSTEM from Mel Bay.

http://www.melbay.com/Products/30502...aspx?src=16297
  10. Forgot To Post Last Friday's Cover (#45)

Hey guys!

I forgot to post last Friday's cover here. This is the closing theme to BoJack Horseman, the animated show. The next couple of weeks I'm doing a few more video game themes, but look forward to some more jazz videos in a month or so!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast