View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. what to choose

Looking at a New york pro, 1973 Harmony, Magnum, Johnson MA100 and a Kentucky k140 as a first mandolin. Are they all comparable in sound and quality? Which would be the best pick for a beginner? Thanks

Updated Mar-30-2017 at 2:25pm by MsT62801

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Klezmer - the best has yet to come

I've been ruminating on this idea for some time, and folks that have read my posts on Mandolin Cafe know some of my promises to start a 'resource' for klezmer mandolin here.

The general notion is that I want a place to share really good acoustic music in klezmer. There is very little klezmer out there on the internet played on mandolins and I want to change it here.

So, what is klezmer music, or what is the 'pure drop' as they say in Irish music. And how does mandolin ...
    Tags: klezmer
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fresh Prince Rap (On Mandolin Of Course) & Update

Hey guys.

I know I didn't post here this last Friday. Moving forward I'm only going to post the videos to this blog that are more mandolin relevant. This is another silly transcription I did a while ago.

This Friday I'm putting up another song from a video game, so I won't put it up here, but I have another jazz mandolin video that I'll share!
  4. Mandolin Mondays #65 w/ Special Guest Emory Lester

Honored to have a special video from the great Emory Lester for this week's Mandolin Monday. Feast your ears on this mind-blowing rendition of "Eight More Miles to Louisville" performed on Emory's battle worn Northfield axe.

Emory's exciting creative voice on the mandolin speaks for itself. Over the years, he's performed with the likes of the Tony Rice Unit, comedian and banjo player Steve Martin, and many other ...
  5. New to the Cafe

First let me say hello and thank you for all the good information. I have to ask though it's hard to filter through everything. I am looking for a good affordable mandolin that will carry me for a few years at least and the opinions are all accross the board. I have done my research and have played guitar for 20+ years. I have a PRS and jumbo Epiphone and the latest edition is a hand made full hollowbody telecaster. I can spend between 2 and 4 hundered to get a decent mandoline to get my feet wet. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Weber Instruments 20th Anniversary!

We often wonder where many of the instruments we made over the years are right now. We see a picture of a custom instrument on our computer and think, I remember that one! For instance there were three red, white and blue mandolins (VERY distinctive) that were made, bought, shipped and never heard from again and we wonder (although while I was writing this Bruce heard from somebody on another issue and they have one of these- weird world). Bruce and Junior will hear a serial number and often remember ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeckCheck1.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	155151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	155157  
  7. Mandolin Mondays #64 /// "Boston Boy"

Things have been crazy busy recently, but I'm happy to be back with another Mandolin Monday video! This past month I made the final move up to Boston to join Mile Twelve and record our new record together. Now that things have settled down, I thought I'd share a few passes at an appropriately titled fiddle tune to celebrate the occasion.

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:49am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. October - Ben Wendel [Acoustic] (#50)

Hey guys! I'm back this week with a recording of a favorite tune composed by Ben Wendel, the amazing (Grammy winning) saxophone player/composer.

This tune, titled "October" was originally performed as a duet between Wendel and jazz guitarist Gilad Hekselman. I'm absolutely in love with it and I hope you enjoy my rendition.

Also, stay tuned for some more jazz mandolin content coming in early April!

Updated Mar-17-2017 at 2:16pm by alexheflin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mandolin Mondays #63 w/ Special Guest Joe Brent

Joe Brent is with us this week for an expressive take on "Old Soul Song" by folk artist Bright Eyes on his one-of-a-kind 10-string Brian Dean mandolin.

Joe is a Brooklyn-based composer and performer who tastefully bridges the gap between classical and improvised music. His impressive track record includes performances and recordings with numerous professional orchestras in addition to jazz greats such as Ravi Coltrane and Stephane ...

Updated Mar-13-2017 at 11:09am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 1994 Flatiron Big Horn Banjo

Just kind of fun to see this instrument (signed by Eric Lange) even tho it suffered a common banjo injury. It belongs to a friend so don't be telling anyone that MtLutherie does banjo repair!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	154762
    Pretty Peghead!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	154763
    Hey- what's that in the background : )