View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Moving on Up, to a Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    It's here... It arrived Monday but I was jammed up at work and could not get away until today. I am so excited, it was love at first sight. I'm not going to try to do a review yet I just wanted everyone to know it was here.

Once again, this was a design your own venture. It's a Gallatin Mandola with "The Weber" on the headstock, a trad Brekke Bridge, a D hole and Antique Walnut instead of the normal finish.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Moving on Up, to a Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    After due consideration, I've decided to order a mandola...

You don't run into mandolas all that often but each time I have, I've been captivated. The first one I ever played was an Eastman at Appalacian Bluegrass in Baltimore. I took right to it. The fifth tuning works just as well in longer scale and I was able to play it straight away. Interesting, but I still on my mandolin quest.

There was used Gibson that made its way to Guitar Tex but it was too soon after getting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. RMI oh my!

Sorry for no more camp posts. I started getting pain in my shoulder. I suspect my problem may be a repetitive motion issue from too much heavy typing with an old style keyboard.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 1st Day of Class

Having Gerald as an instructor was as much fun as I thought it would be. We did a lot of work on arpegios in the morning an chord melody basics in the afternoon.

There are a lot of great players here. I listen to the jams and I feel I could play in most of them - that's a big change from my first visit here. I even know I do some things better. I being careful of my shoulder coming off of the RMI problem. I'm keeping this short for the same reason.

Went to the slow ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Instructor Change

At orientation tonight I learned we have an instructor change for mandolin. Gerald Jones is going to teach instead of Nate Lee. Nate is a great player but so is Gerald and Gerald is a much more seasoned veteran player and teacher.

Everybody's favorite vocal teacher Dede Wyland has had another brush with the big C. The prognosis is good but she just finished chemo and the docs said she should not travel. The delightful Chris Sanders is subbing for her.

The irrepressible ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Well that didn't work too well...

Seems I got all busy and forgot to write the report. Well no use crying over spilt milk. I'm back at Camp Bluegrass - 2010.

I brought a Netbook with me to see how it works...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Upgrading to Stereo

Remember the Mac/PC commercial where Mr. PC had the spokesflac saying some of their customers were upgrading to XP (from Vista)? Well I kind of feel the same about home entertainment equipment. I have a 5.1 Yamaha system but lately I've been listening in plain old stereo.

It started with music. Turns out I don't like a lot of process effects after all. Every form of music I've tried sounds better in just plain stereo on my big Klipsch speakers. Lately I've found I like all of it ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. I So Need A Vacation...

At the local jam I had harsh words with back benching arbiter of propriety. At least I did not resort to sarcasm!

Sunday I head to Levelland, Tx and Camp Bluegrass. My wife insisted even though our adult children have retired on our income because it really reduces my stress levels and her associated worry.

I gotta make a list... If you read my Camp Bluegrass 2008 Report you may recall I arrived at the airport short of my needs. Besides the phone, which I got, I also ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized