Blog Comments

Thanks Michael, for posting your ideas on picks. I have been pursuing the best pick, too. I know it is an individual thing-- right now, in my case, it is a tie between Wegen M100 and Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14. I agree that writing is an important way to stimulate one's growth.
    Great job for getting out and playing, Michael.
    I've been playing a year. Recently did a large group for the first time. The thing that threw me was how hard it was to hear myself with all that going on. I found myself playing too hard which created a lttile unnecessary tension. I played a lot of rhythm on songs I didn't know and in keys I'd never played. And learned a lot. I didn't play any breaks tho. Setting in on a small group for first time this weekend.

Best of luck! Sounds like fun to me
    Thanks, Lorraine, always nice to hear from you! I know I tend to get a bit wordy, but it is fun to just see your ideas typed out. It forces me to analyze what I'm trying to say more. Ran across your blog tonight. Good stuff! I always value well-thought-out ideas like yours.
    Thanks...I always enjoy your blogs!
    O.K, I can't figure out how to edit this blog entry, so just a correction: The second V-Pick is actually a "Large Lite Round" instead of medium. That's what I get for trying to do stuff top-of-head!
    Unfortunately, circumstances insulate me from the insidious effects of MAS. My current situation doesn't permit me to own multiple instruments. Sometimes, it just is what it is! I'd LOVE to be able to have a really nice A, a nice F, maybe a killer oval-hole, and just dabble in trade-ups and experiment. Right now, I'm playing my Morgan Monroe MDM-2, and so far, been very happy with her. Ain't no Gilchrist , or (insert your fave top-end builder), but right now, it has a good tone and neck, and is capable of much more than I am! I'm saving toward one of Marty's beauties in the not too distant, and of course next week, I fully expect to be playing a wonderful new Collings MT2! Right now, my MAS is directed into picks (Can't find a 12 step group for this one)
    So Mike, if you have a case of MAS, what instruments do you own?
    Just stumbled into the blogs section of the cafe.
    You bring up a very good point, not many teenagers or people realise how good they have things till they are gone. Something we're all guilty of. Show family love while you have them and enjoy the good times, man. You father sounds like a great man. having a supportive family really can shape a person I know it's shaped me
    I hope you and your father have a wonderful time. Great band and great company.
    Wow...that's totally awesome. Have a great time!
    We've been to so many concerts and listened to so much music together. He's a stone-cold bluegrass lover. Steeldrivers are coming to a small theater up in my hometown, where he still lives, and I got us tickets. Really looking forward to taking him out for a night of great music!(and maybe dinner after!)
    Sometimes I think that illness is a chain on our soul. My mother's illness was of a chronic respiratory nature and it severely curtailed her ability to do what she loved. I know exactly how you feel when you say, "I don't know how I'm going to handle it when the time comes." I said the same thing to a friend with regard to my mother, who, as it turned out, passed away 2 weeks later. All I can say is that I really believe that death is not the end of it. When our family gathered on her mountaintop to honor my mother, there was suddenly the strongest wind I had ever felt up there. In my heart I felt it was my mother saying, "Look at me now!" Alzheimers is a cruel disease...but it only affects your father's body and not his spirit. When the time comes for your father, who sounds like a wonderful man, to leave this life, his spirit will be set free, but he will still be close by. You're right about the "mando-therapy"...keeping busy gives us an avenue for dealing with the grief. It is also a way to honor your father. Just say, "Dad, this is for you!" He will know.
    Just saw your comments on my long, rambling, emotional blog entry. Thanks for your kind words. Sorry to hear about your loss of your parents, I don't know how I'm going to handle it when it comes! Guess we just keep up the mando-therapy, and live life! Best to you, and happy pickin'
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrainehornig
    Beautiful! I lost my Dad when he was only 48-years-old (38 years ago) and even though I have now outlived him by 13 years, he remains the hero of my life. I lost my mother 8 years ago...she was my angel. As hard as these losses are to bear, I think we can count ourselves as being among those who have been truly blessed. Many are not so fortunate. My thoughts are with you.
    Beautiful! I lost my Dad when he was only 48-years-old (38 years ago) and even though I have now outlived him by 13 years, he remains the hero of my life. I lost my mother 8 years ago...she was my angel. As hard as these losses are to bear, I think we can count ourselves as being among those who have been truly blessed. Many are not so fortunate. My thoughts are with you.
    Updated Aug-24-2013 at 4:20pm by lorrainehornig
    Oh, I gotcha you Mike. I'm sure that your advice would help me too. Thank you.

Kris
    Works for me,Tom.Good idea. Kris, what I was saying on Fiddle Tunes, is I can see finally how to "steal" licks to use anywhere I can.I'm gonna keep on, just try and not be so regimented in them.
    Dusty, I encourage learning fiddle tunes. There may be a lot of folks playing them wherever you are, just not around Atlanta. Mike, we ought to have another jam session with David and Marty, et al., so we know some fiddle tunes will be played.
    That's a little eye opening seems all I work on is fiddle tunes. I'd hate to have a sit down, sit this one out affect on people. Mike I had the same thing happen the few times I have recorded myself. Kind of brutal to hear but I guess points you in the right direction as to what needs to be worked on. I guess Tom already made that point so I should erase all this but, keep at it Mike I'm sure you'll find it improving each time. Guess I should re think my love of fiddle tunes.
    The fiddle tunes present an interesting problem around here. They really are super practice and fun to play, but most everybody around here, in my experience, claims that they don't play any fiddle tunes - even most fiddle players. Old Sausage is one of the few. So they wind up being of extremely limited use at most of the jam sessions. I played Soldier's Joy at a recent get together, figuring everybody can throw in on that one. The best bluegrass picker there - a great musician - just sat there. He told me afterwards that it is one of those hoola hoop songs. It just goes round and round with out an end.
    Thanks,Tom. That says it nicely. I've been downloading any "Jam" type tracks I can just for that purpose. I hit on a version of Whiskey Before Breakfast in the MP3 section that sounds like a couple of guys jamming to that, and it really opened my eyes about the fiddle tunes I thought were just strict, cut& dried boring!
    Indeed. Back in my youthful electric days I discovered that the best practice of all - the most bang for the buck - is to listen to recordings of my playing. It's a two-edged sword. You will hear all the errors of your ways, but you will also hear yourself playing things you never would have thought you could do. Either way, it brings improvement the next time you play. The best method I found to generate this sword is to have a jam session with extended instrumentals.