View RSS Feed

Workshops and lessons

1. Another jam, 2013 it is finally happening!

And with it another lesson. The version of Bill Cheetam I learned (from lessons of all things) has the B part in the wrong key! Its more of a harmony line. I played it through once, thinking "that sounds off, maybe its my timing" and the second time I was like "oh dear". So I turned to the jam leader Ran Bush and asked him if I were in the wrong key. He chuckled and said "yeah, you have a jazzy thing going there" D'oh! But the Tuesday jams at the 5th String in Berkeley ...
  2. Out again

At the slow jam at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. Two lessons learned. One, smaller circles mean one calls more tunes, and apparently all I know are fiddle tunes in A. Second, I can mess up but find the tune again and carry on. Its ok. It doesn't bring the jam to a halt.

Also just got my first video feedback from Mike Marshall. All those years doing technical exercises have paid off. Now its time to learn. More. Tunes!
  3. New instructional focus

Just joined Mike Marshall's School of Mandolin after the Mandolin Mashup (see below). Mike is simply the coolest cat ever and I am looking forward to seeing where some more direction (and responsibility to others than just myself) can lead!
  4. Three's the charm!

Made it out to the Tuesday night slow jam at the 5th String. This was attended by a smaller group, so I got to call two tunes and play several breaks as a result. This has really helped in developing the self confidence needed to keep going when I get back home to Cow Town! Now to learn how to play breaks on tunes I do not know...
  5. Twice in one year? A trend?

its a line at least, defined by two points, but things are shaping up this year!

I went to the 3 hour long slow jam at the Freight and Salvage, and even managed to take breaks/kick songs off. Despite a terribly shaking hand and completely blank brain, the body just kind of took over and did it for me. Plus, met some really nice folks! Will definitely do this again next trip to Berkeley.

Tomorrow night the same host will be holding another slow jam at the 5th String ...
  6. Play with people, you go now...

Figure that instead of posting yet ANOTHER New Year's resolution to play out with people, and then not do it, I would instead post about when I actually manage to do so...

I am currently in Berkeley on sabbatical research. For many reasons, Berkeley means music to me (at least I have a strong association between the two), so I brought my mandolin along for the trip. Checking the schedules of the 5th String music store and the Freight and Salvage, I see there are MANY opportunities ...