View RSS Feed

gregjones

1. Some to thank

I'm sittin' in Big Springs, NE with only a pinch of Internet signal strength. Everything loads soooo slow, like dial-up. It gives one time to think as the process unwinds.

There are four Cafe members, I know I'll leave out a bunch, that I'd like to thank for one reason or another:

1: Mike Edgerton. I've learned the hard way that I am a very poor judgment of quality and price of old beater mandolins. I can e-mail Mike and get his opinion of a particular instrument. ...

Updated Sep-17-2009 at 6:54pm by gregjones (fumble fingers, I type like I play!!!)

Categories
    Ramblings
  2. Up The Neck

I wrote this in the Two Pointer Social Group but decided it's probably better off here--in the blog section. Just another of my two cents.....

For the most part, Ive been a first position player. Every now and then, when the fingering order fits, I might "escape" all the way up to the tenth fret.

Bluegrass Up The Neck by Niles Hokkanen has been highly recommended on the Cafe and his YouTube video is exactly what I strive to play-----so I ordered his ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Dampit or Damnit?

There's been a bit of discussion about Dampits--the green worm like humidifiers that go inside the instrument through the sound hole.

A few of the Cafe members that I trust have posted about a customer who had problems with them---mold around the sound hole, cracked f holes or water spots.

I have yet to see any of the talented and helpful builders post of several customers having problems with the Dampits.

I don't think there is a product that some individual ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Another Season To Deal With

I haven't had an instrument in years I felt was worth worrying about the humidity levels. I got a 2 point Eastman in January and decided it was time to worry.

Within a week, I could feel the grain on the top. Not thinking this was a good sign I decided to find out what was going on. My hygrometer was way, way off---no wonder it was a close out item on eBay.

I had a few Dampits already on the way, so I used the sponge in a baggie with paper punch holes. When they ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Reality Hits the Road

I had to face a few facts:

1: I may be to old to work but, I'm to young to retire.

2: I would starve to death trying to make a living playing a mandolin and it doesn't lay eggs.

3: The truck engine has to be rebulit.

4: No "Super Mando" this year.

After a few weeks in a rental truck (), I'm back in the black beast. As fast as ever with a fresh stable of 600 horses. You just don't realize how much of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Oh Well..........

Take my work for it, sittin' off the interstate in Portageville, Mo on Easter Sunday with a crack in the block running from below the cylinder head to as far as you can see is no way to save up to buy a new mando.

600hp Cat Rebuild=$18,000

Very Nice Mandolin=$18,000

Maybe it's time to retire.
    Categories
    Uncategorized