PDA

View Full Version : no more monel strings?

batman
Feb-19-2005, 8:01am
man i feel kinda sick on my stomach. ive been playing the monel sam bush strings for years and have tried others, but always come back to these. i get them by the dozen from first quality music. not any more. just tried to and couldn't find them on their site. then i rememberd a thread a while back about no gibson instruments on line any more, but please not the strings too. I ded find them at Janet Davis and i'm sure they are nic folks, but i been dealin with Bill Sulivan for along time, and call me stuborn but i think i'll change string brand before i'll change stores.Not meanning to bash Gibson in any way. I have a o1 Bush that is the bomb, and evey body ive come in contact with there are 1st class. I'll be in nashville in 2 weeks. guess i'll have to go to the showcase and load up on strings. Don

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 8:11am
Hey Bats...The Bushs are in the latest FQMS catalog # #Sam Bush Strings #"Monel" Wound #Item # GSBS # #Im sure they still have them...I bought a dozen sets at Christmas.

steve in tampa
Feb-19-2005, 9:09am
I get them at juststrings.com

Pete Martin
Feb-19-2005, 6:37pm
I hear this "no more Monels" rumor every few months, but I've always been able to find them.

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 6:44pm
....there are actually no more Gibson Monel Wounds....they have been repackaged and remarketed as Gibson "Sam Bush" Monel Wounds...I think that may be where the confusion and rumors generate from.

Jonathan James
Feb-19-2005, 6:46pm
Janet Davis Music carries the Bushies as well...

levin4now
Feb-20-2005, 9:08am
i'm sitting here with my first pair of something other than the sam bush monel strings, and can't wait to get my sam bush's back on....

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 9:17am
Ive been using them since 1985....the best string out there in my opinion..Ive tried others but have always come back to the Monels.

Pete Martin
Feb-20-2005, 2:51pm
Its funny, those of us that like these often can't stand other strings, especially the overly bright, zingy phosphor bronze type. Its always welcome to get back to Monels.

I've tried lots of other steel strings, but none sound like these. Anyone else find any other brands that have the same Monel sound?

JohnF
Feb-21-2005, 9:27am
Going to the originl post it seems like some sites have taken Gibson strings off the online ordering option. Could it be the same policy as the instruments?
Personally I never liked the .14 A string so I've been using silk and steel strings from GHS but I've thought of trying the Bush strings on my new A9

Big Joe
Feb-21-2005, 9:53am
Bush strings are readily available. Just get ahold of your favorite string dealer and they will be happy to sell them to you. They are a great string. We are working with them to get another guage of monel's for those of us who don't like the 14 A's. A new string that is coated like EXP or Elixer should be available soon also. I will let you know what I think when I try them.

Scotti Adams
Feb-21-2005, 11:13am
Thanks for the info Joe

Pete Martin
Feb-21-2005, 3:54pm
Hey Joe, a number of us would like a heavy gauge Monel as an option. The gauge is the only thing I don't like, but love the sound so much I go for the current gauge.

How about .045 .029 .017 .0125? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with .... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Big Joe
Feb-22-2005, 10:17am
My goodness Pete! You must have some strong hands! It would be hard for a lot of mandolins to handle the tension of those guages. On the right mandolin they could rip though!

Greg H.
Feb-22-2005, 12:21pm
If you go into the FQMS website under mandolin strings Gibson is not one of the available brands listed. I think that is probably the source of the confusion. I tend to do the majority of my string shopping at odd hours (i.e. after my kids are in bed) so calling isn't much of an option. Consequently, though I've long been a fan of Gibson Monroe strings (my mandolin and monels don't seem to sound as good to me) I've switched over to D'Addario J75s.

Scotti, I remember a thread a while back where you were trying the D'Addario JS74s, how did those do?

Pete Martin
Feb-22-2005, 12:52pm
Hi Joe,

In the 80's when I practiced a lot of hours daily, I found it easier on my hands to use very heavy gauge strings and keep the action super low. #I found the heavier strings didn't vibrate quite as wide and I could lower the action that much more, thus using less left hand pressure. #If I play a bit every day, I can keep the touch required for that. #I used to order .049 #.031 #.018 #.0125. #As I had a Saga tailpiece on my Steve Anderson mando, I could put ball end strings on, therefore could get what gauge I wanted. #Surprisingly, it did not damage the mando in any way, that mando still sounds very good (although I currently play a Gilchrist and a '24 A2).

Please consider a heavier gauge of Monel, especially on the G and D, maybe not as heavy as I'd like #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scotti Adams
Feb-22-2005, 12:57pm
Hi Greg....I liked the JS74's....like I mentioned back then....they were rough feeling but after awhile they smoothed out....they lasted for a long time....Ive still got a set around here somewhere....but I backslid back to the Bushs...well I wouldnt call it backslid....Ive just grown used to them since 1985...so as long as they make them thats what I will use.

Big Joe
Feb-23-2005, 9:53am
I suggested they use an 11, 16, 26,41. I don't know for sure what they are going to do, but that was my suggestion. I will let you know as I learn more. We will likely do the testing here. Have a Great Day!

Ted Eschliman
Feb-23-2005, 10:02am
I used to order .049 #.031 #.018 #.0125.
Wow, Pete. You towing cars or playing mando?
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Makes me feel like a wimp, prefering a 10-36 gg set...

Michael H Geimer
Feb-23-2005, 10:56am
Isn't this how we lost that first Mars rover? Shouldn't we consider indentifying the unit of measure along with all these numbers? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

JD Cowles
Feb-23-2005, 12:25pm
"I suggested they use an 11, 16, 26,41"

heck yeah big joe. my only issue with the bush strings is that they are a little light for my taste (but i've easily overcome that in the last two years of using them exclusively). if/when you come out with a heavier gauge please let us cafe'ers know.

jd

Evets
Feb-23-2005, 7:45pm
In my ignorancI must ask, What does "Monel" mean?

Fretbear
Feb-24-2005, 9:50am
Quoted from another Cafe poster:
"Monel is an alloy metal. #It is naturally occuring and mined in NY state. #But most often it's made artificially by mixing together 66% nickel, 30% copper, 2% iron, and some other things. #It's very resistant to corrosion, even more so than 304 or 316 stainless steel. "
Regarding FQMS, if you enter the proper catalog number on their website, the Bush's will pop up......

David M.
Feb-24-2005, 1:58pm
So, how does the tone compare w/Phos. Bronze? Pete mentions bright and zingy. Are the monels darker? How would they compare, say, to GHS Silk & Steels?

Thanks.

Mando4Life
Feb-24-2005, 2:08pm
monels seem brighter to me than phosphor bronze..but have a more woodier tone from the get go...i love them..

as an aside...monel is an alloy...not sure about the naturally occuring part....i think that its a man made metal...

it's not like bricks...which are mined in siberia.

WBL

mandough
Feb-24-2005, 2:18pm
I just bought my first set of Bush strings and I love them. The set came with an extra A string and E string. Does this set always come with these extra strings? If so, that's awesome. They were $5 a set, which is the same as the J74 where I get them.
I was also wondering if Gibson was ever thinking about developing a flatwound string. Or, a set with wound A strings.

Mando4Life
Feb-24-2005, 2:25pm
yep...you get extra A and E....I guess if you play like Sam B then you may need them...

I used to get them from Big City....last ones I bought locally...good to know FQMS stocks them also

WBL

DannyB
Feb-25-2005, 11:57am
Myself, I'm going back to the J-74's. Big Joe it is good to hear you are working on changing that A String thats one of my biggest complaints about the Bush's. I don't break it but I don't think it has the pop (sound)I want from my A string. Just a personal thing I guess. I have a set or 2 left I'd trade for J-74's if anyone is interested in trying them. The one advantage they do have is I they sound broken in right out of the package and the 74's take a little time.