PDA

View Full Version : silver -plated tuners

jimbob
Feb-19-2005, 7:37am
This has probably been discussed before, but I didn't find a direct answer anywhere...Does anyone make a reasonably priced silver -plated tuner for an F-5 ( +/- $100-150 )? I like the look of the silver vs. nickel or gold, but so far I have only seen references to Waverly and from what I've seen here, they are very expensive. I can't even find the Waverly's on the internet to see a picture, but I haven't contacted any supply shops...they are too rich for my blood ...and wallet

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 8:54am
..Check out the New Gibson Grovers....the silver sets they produce are of a Matte finish very similiar in appearance to the Waverlys...heres the link to the thread # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=21331 # #I bought a set from Big Joe Vest at Gibson OAI for $105.00 shipped. A very fine quality key indeed.

jimbob
Feb-19-2005, 9:51am
Thanks...I don't know how much difference there is between the satin nickel and a silver-plated finish in a side-by-side comparison. Those tuners in the pics on the thread you mention look very nice. I may not be able to locate the silver ( as opposed to nickel). I am no historian, but I think some of the older Gibsons have them....
I'm probably exepending to much energy worrying about a small issue...the main purpose is to tune the strings, right ?

Scotti Adams
Feb-19-2005, 9:55am
..right..but tune it good...lol

mandroid
Feb-21-2005, 2:16am
I mention Silver tarnishes, nickel and gold will not.
you can find MOP faced buttons from Schaller for $150 with Gold plated metalwork. FQMS

futrconslr
Feb-21-2005, 5:02pm
You might could have a set plated at a shop. I dont know what it would cost. I had a buddy in school whos dad had a plate shop. They could and would plate just about anything.

siren_20
Feb-21-2005, 8:59pm
If there is a copper layer underneath the nickel, it may be possible to etch off the nickel just back to the copper and use something like cool-amp: http://www.cool-amp.com/coolamp.htm

8ch(pl)
Feb-21-2005, 9:29pm
It is true that silver tarnishes, looks quite bad actually, but the upside is that it gives a person something to polish.

Michael Lewis
Feb-22-2005, 1:39am
The tarnished silver you most commonly see is 'sterling', which is mostly silver but has up to 7% other stuff in it. It is the other stuff that causes the silver to tarnish. If you use 'fine' silver you will see very little if any tarnishing. Fine silver is pure silver, well, as nearly as they can make it.

Certain chemicals will cause nickel to tarnish. Some folks have these chemicals in their persperation, and can tarnish heavy nickel plating. This tarnish often goes deep into the metal and cannot be buffed out. Much of what you see offered as black chrome is just a controlled contamination of the nickel plating.

mandroid
Feb-22-2005, 2:08pm
I am not a chem ace, but fwiw, observation,
Silver Ag#47 atoms will oxidize,i.e. bond with O2, #nonetheless.
its in #the propertys of the elementary metal
treasure divers find Gold spanish coins #on the carribean sea floor are found still just fine, if not abraided by motion in sand, Au#79,is rather soft and as plating it wears off, #but stays shiny left alone.
There's an alloy commonly called german silver it's an alloy with a silver color, advantage is its not a plating, so It will not wear #off, and can be polished fearlessly.
some sort of alloy, perhaps that one, is used #on the screw studs of the adjustable bridge on my old A/A4 #as the exposed ends are nice and smooth polished, rounded off.
somewhat softer than mild steel though, more like bronze.

just my 0.025