PDA

View Full Version : String question

csstanley
Feb-18-2005, 9:10pm
I'm new to the Mando but not strings in general. Been playin a guitar for around 7 or 8 years.

Catching on quick that the same make in guitar strings is not the same as in mandolins. I personally like Ernie Ball for my guitar. I like tha action I get from them and the feel. I understand that its a personal thing too. Most of you have your own likes and dislikes.

But give me some help on the mando strings.

I changed out the strings that came on the mando. I dare not repeat what type of mando I got. Some of you may laugh. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But really, I bought me some Elixir ultra light with the nanoweb coating on them. My brother-in-law said that they would last longer. He didn't tell me anything about how they would sound. I don't know if its me or not, but I don't really think I am real happy with them.

What do yall use? Or what do ya suggest?

When I changed the strings out I set everything back exactly like it was when I got it. Bridge and all. I even took digital pics to make sure I did. But could I have done something else wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

John Flynn
Feb-18-2005, 9:21pm
What exactly are you not happy about? That might help people give better advice on what the problem might be. One thing I would suggest right off is give it a few days. It sounds like you took all your strings off when you re-strung. Generally, mando players don't do that just to change strings. Mandos tend to not sound so good for a few days after they have had pressure off the top. If that is your only problem, the tone should improve over the next few days.

As far as strings, Elixers have thier fans, but they are not a "mainstream" string, at least among most of the folks on the board that have posted about strings. D'Addario J74s are more or less the "standard," although certainly not the only choice for bluegrass. They are loud, bright and have a lot of punch. If you want a mellower sound, long string life and easy playing, the Thomastik-Infeld strings are popular, especially for jazz and classical. They are very expensive, about $20-$25 as set. "mandohack" on this site sells them at about the best price out there. There are lots of other popular choices: Gibson Monels, GHS Silk and Steel, etc.

If a few days playing doesn't solve the problem, try one of those sets of strings. If that doesn't do it, see a good mando luthier.

Dfyngravity
Feb-18-2005, 9:28pm
Well it could be a combo several things or it could just be the strings in general. It sounds to me that you took off all the strings at the same time, which means the brige came off the mando. If this happened the there is a good chance that the intonation is off. That would be the first thing I would check. And it's not to hard to fix, just lossen the strings and move the bridge until you get it right. If that's not the problem then it just may be the strings.Personally I use D'Addario Flat-Tops, which has a wound A string. I think the over all balance is much better with the wound A string, plus they are very smooth. Also the Elixir strings are quite different because of the coating they use. I have never been to big of a fan. Also if you changed the gauge from heavy to extra light the mando needs a little time to adjust to that and maybe need a little tweeking here and there because of the different tension. Also one more thing, if the bridge is set right and mando is set up right, I would give it a couple days may a week for the strings and everything to settle. The reason being is when you take all of the tension off at the same time and the bridge comes off the mando is now at a different state. So when you put the strings back on it takes it a while to re-adjust to having tension on the top. Next time you change strings try this....the way I do it is to take off the two outer most strings and replace them. I keep doing this, working my way to the 2 most inner strings. By doing it this way you don't have to worry about repositioning the bridge and you also don't have to worry about the bridge tiping forward while changing strings. But that's just the way I do it. Hope some of this helps.

Doug Edwards
Feb-19-2005, 1:24am
Try the GHS Silk & Steel or Silk and Bronze. Neither are as loud as Regular steel strings, but they will give you a nice woody tone. The D'Adario FT74 (Flat Tops) are also very nice with more volume. These really helped my Pac Rim mando sound better.

I still use them on my new mandolin.

csstanley
Feb-19-2005, 7:35am
Yeah, I realized my mistake afterwards. I did take all the strings off at one time. This was three weeks ago.

I did exactly like Dfyngravity said to do I "just lossen the strings and move the bridge until you get it right."

Maybe I rambled too much with all the other stuff but I'm just not happy with the strings and looking for other strings that better players use.

Thanks for the help.

acousticphd
Feb-19-2005, 8:54am
I mainly use phosphor bronze/plain steel sets bought in bulk. About $2/set that way, and I think very little difference in sound, if any, from most common name-brand wound bronze or phosphor bronze sets of the same guage. The wound Elixer strings do last longer, but cost so much more and you're only getting half a set of coated strings, anyway. But if you have an inexpensive mando that tends toward a tinnier tone, the silk/bronze or silk/steel could help mellow it, and I agree these would be well worth a try.

steve in tampa
Feb-19-2005, 9:07am
D'Addario makes a good coated string. You may have to try some different brands before you find the one that is right for the sound you are looking for. I have had good experiences with the Gibson Sam Bush strings.

mmukav
Feb-19-2005, 11:57am
I used coated strings on my Taylor guitar and loved them. But I've heard many complaints about them for mandos. Maybe it's just the sheer size of the instrument that is the difference. The mandolin being smaller, maybe that coating eats up the tone. If it's a wear issue, maybe you should try Monel strings. Last a lot longer, but no coating.....

csstanley
Feb-19-2005, 12:52pm
Thanks for the advice fellas.

I really do appreciate it.

Greg H.
Feb-20-2005, 3:35pm
What kind of music are you playing? I don't think Ultra-lights would be particularly good for bluegrass or old-time, but if you're playing rock or classical then it may be fine. I tend to like the sound I get with strings slightly heavier than the standard mediams (my usual choices would be either D'Addario J75s or Gibson Bill Monroes) but then that's just my personal preferences. Are you running the mandolin through an amp? Because how hard you have/choose to play can make a big difference in the best type of strings for you.

Feb-20-2005, 7:06pm
I have heard many complaints about Elixir mando strings. I think it just comes down to D'Addario. Best sound for mandolins.

El Rey del Mando
Feb-20-2005, 7:26pm
There are lots of string opinions.I'm with you PGA.I wonder why so many people in bluegrass use them ? It's no secret to me,I'll tell ya!Too bad about the tour this week.:o(

John

csstanley
Feb-20-2005, 8:37pm
Greg, I play bluegrass. I got Elixir because of advise from a brother-in-law that mainly plays rock. May be the reason he likes them. I got ultra lite for two reasons. 1) I figured they may be easier for me to learn on the Mando just starting out, and 2) The ultra lites are the only ones the dealer had at the time at a decent price.

I'm not running it through an Amp.

I think I may give the D'Addario J75s a try and then may get another brand in a few months just to see what I like.

Again, thanks for the advice guys. I truly appreciate it.

GBG
Feb-21-2005, 9:36am
Buy a set of D'Addario J-74's and a set of JS-74's and see what sounds best,phosphor bronze or stainless steel. J-75's are pretty heavy.