PDA

View Full Version : Favorite picks

emilys
Feb-17-2005, 8:30am
Personally, I like DavaControl picks. I used John Dunlap picks for years until lately.

John Flynn
Feb-17-2005, 8:35am
I think I have tried everything out there and I keep coming back to the Dunlop Ultex 1.0.

doublestop
Feb-17-2005, 8:55am
Wegen M150!!!!!!

Jonathan James
Feb-17-2005, 9:00am
Ditto on the Ultex 1.0. Great pick!

emilys
Feb-17-2005, 9:09am
http://ftp4.impacthosting.com/sweetmusic/images/dava_celluloid.jpg

Lane Pryce
Feb-17-2005, 9:24am
Yep.Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm and 1.14mm guitar/teardrop shaped pick.The 1.14 has more of a thunk to it and slightly different sound.Play em long enough and they get a real sweet bevel on the edges. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp

Lane Pryce
Feb-17-2005, 9:25am
I'll bet that Dava is hard to drop. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Lp

jmkatcher
Feb-17-2005, 9:26am
The Dunlop Ultexes have the nicest sound, but sometimes they're awfully hard to grip well because they're so slippery. I wish they'd roughen the top half or so a bit.

Bluegrass Boy
Feb-17-2005, 9:29am
jm, check local stores in your area to see if they sell sand paper. You might be able to rough up the top half of the pick yourself.

emilys
Feb-17-2005, 9:35am
You shouldn't have to get sand paper and rough up a pick. The pick should fit your fingers like a glove. It shouldn't pop out. I liked the Dunlops because they did that for me - they were already roughed out. These Davas are even harder to lose. Flexible in the middle, they feel like a fingerpick...like you can play it with one finger (well almost ;))

Mike Crocker
Feb-17-2005, 9:38am
...or a file, or emory board, or drill holes...

I've gone back to the Ultex guitar pick (the teardrop shape) after a short flirtation with the larger ones that Ted was selling and Wegens. I'll still use the Wegen sometimes, but the Ultex seems to be the current standard for me. I round the point slightly because I find the factory point a little pointed.

Peace, Mooh.

John Flynn
Feb-17-2005, 9:40am
they're awfully hard to grip well because they're so slippery
Just a thought, but something I learned at a Mike Compton workshop might be helpful. You may be relying too much on grip strength and friction to hold the pick. The pick should balance lightly between your thumb and finger. I play hard with my Ultex's, sometimes with sweaty hands, and I rarely drop a pick when playing. When I do drop one, it's because I "zoned out" and lost my feel for what I was doing for a second. I think there is a possibility that using "grip" picks and/or sort of grip aid, like roughening a pick with sandpaper, may run counter to learning "balance" and "feel." Your tone and your speed will likely improve with a lighter grip also. Just MHO.

Lane Pryce
Feb-17-2005, 9:47am
I drill holes in mine.Usually a diamond shape with holes from a 3/32's bit in the area for your finger pads.Works for me. Lp

John Craton
Feb-17-2005, 9:48am
The three I find myself using the most are the Wolle, Wegen M150, and a sarod rosewood pick. I really like the sound of the Wolle on single notes, but to this day I have trouble getting a consistent tremolo with it (my fault, not the pick's). The sarod makes tremolo a breeze, but it tends slightly toward the "clicky" side when playing single notes. The Wegen is a great in-between of these two.

Mando4Life
Feb-17-2005, 11:28am
TS.....then ultex 1.0

can't beat TS though...

WBL

gnelson651
Feb-17-2005, 11:59am
Wegen M150...then Tortis Tri-Tip

glauber
Feb-17-2005, 11:59am
My current favourites: Ultex triangle 1.14, Dunlop 208 and 207, SurfPick triangle. But sometimes if i try a different set of strings, i have to use a different pick with it. My Ovation came back from repair with Martin strings on, and right now the only things that work well with those are the Sarod pick (my previous fave) and a coconut pick by Dugain that has never sounded good with any other strings before.

futrconslr
Feb-17-2005, 12:08pm
After trying alot of different ones, I use a tortis heavy type c with the point rounded down a bit. I rounded it with a emory board and Nailbuffer pre Dave's instructions....thanks Dave!! I also use a tortis mondo with the speed bevel when I misplace the otherone.

fatt-dad
Feb-17-2005, 12:34pm
Clayton 1.0 large triangle.

f-d

mandough
Feb-17-2005, 12:36pm
My new favorite pick is the Dunlop 207 pick. I used to be a fan of the Ultex 1.14 but never liked the teardrop shape. The Dunlop 207 is a black jazz pick that is thick and somewhere inbetween a teardrop and a Dawg pick. The front tip is a bit rounded while the sides are more rounded but with slight wide point. Sounds crisp like the Ultex but with a little more control and a bit thicker.

siren_20
Feb-17-2005, 2:29pm
Current favorites (please excuse the blurry pic)
Top row: Wegen TF140 (bright, very clear tone) Clayton 1.26 acetal polymer (my current favorite, somewhere between a Dawg and the Wegen tonally)
Bottom row: homemade TS, about 2.5mm thick but very beveled at the edges. Homemade TS, about 1.2, somewhat bright but very comfortable. Pro-Plec 1.5 mm: my second favorite pick at the moment, very close to the Clayton but sounding more like a Dawg.
Overall the Claytons and the pro-plecs are my favorites, they sound the best and are the easiest for me to hold and are readily available. The TS picks are OK, I'm not that crazy about the tone, the material is so hard that it creates a lot of pick noise (click against the string).

jasona
Feb-17-2005, 3:41pm
Right now I am trying the Proplec (recommended by Mike Marshall) and it is a great compromise between the overly muddy tone of a Golden Gate and overly bright tone of just about everything else. Second pick: Ultex 1.14 and third is an ivoroid Gilchrist pick that was a limited run. After than I like the Wegens, but while they play easily and are really loud, they are kind of scratchy and leave out some midtones to my ear.

eightstrings
Feb-17-2005, 4:12pm
JT..where can I get a Clayton like that? I've benn looking for one of the white 1.26 triangles forever and can't seem to find them anywhere. Any help?

Brett

Lane Pryce
Feb-17-2005, 4:22pm
I believe FQMS sells them. Lp

Milan Christi
Feb-17-2005, 5:22pm
I switch back and forth between three - my one and only TS, a Gibson heavy and a D'Andrea Classic. I can't explain it but that D'Andrea just sounds better to me on most days. (Note that I;ve been doing the same switcheroo on my guitar for 30 years - it could just be me!)

Leftyman
Feb-17-2005, 5:27pm
Clayton .94mm

Amandalyn
Feb-17-2005, 6:01pm
For some reason I keep coming back to Fender Extra- Heavy, John Moore's fav too. I also like the Buffalo Horn & Ebony Sarod picks, because of the "dimple" in the middle for your thumb, indentation on reverse, for your index finger- fits really well, great grip.

siren_20
Feb-17-2005, 6:22pm
Brett, FQMS has the Clayton 1.26 mm picks (http://www.fqms.com/fqm/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=641911&St=5590&St2=-58210422&St3=54207417&DS_ID=2&Product_ID=4752&DID=7). These are my favorites for mandolin, I just really like the attack on the string, everything. PM me your address and I'd be glad to send you one or two, I have a ton of them (the music store here always has them).

Lefty&French
Feb-17-2005, 6:31pm
Emilys, I think this store sells your fav picks...

http://emilysviolins.com/ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

diamond ace
Feb-17-2005, 7:03pm
Shell all the way! I keep a shell pick with my mandolin and keep Ultex 1.14 in my pocket and cases. I think the ultex is the closest to shell sound you can get.

emilys
Feb-17-2005, 8:20pm
cool pics guys

Steve Cantrell
Feb-17-2005, 8:37pm
Try this method--http://home.pacbell.net/torkes/torkepick1.html It makes a really decent pick. In a perfect world, the Dave Grisman Dawg Picks would be slightly longer. I love their thickness, but just too short and want to wander a little on me.

cameron
Feb-17-2005, 8:51pm
Tortis* Style "E" 1.75mm or 2.00mm with speed bevels. $20/each and well worth it in every way IMHO. Functional works of art. The speed bevels on mine are more exaggerated than the Wegens;so the string really pops. It tends to make me want to pick more perpindicular to the strings. Very controllable for me;I smear some Pro-Grip on for right hand control.

BlueMt.
Feb-17-2005, 9:30pm
I bought a bunch of the David Grisman signature picks way back when. #I'm down to the last two. I still like the fat sound they produce on my f-hole mando, but I prefer the sound of the Ultex 1.14's on the Bridger.

merv
Feb-17-2005, 10:05pm
Ultex 1.14 tear drop and depending on style golden gate for chording and tremolo . the golden gates have a modified radius .

Slim Pickins
Feb-18-2005, 6:29am
I use a paper punch and put a few dents on each side. Not deep but enough to hold on to. Doesn't anyone use the Fender Heavy pick anymore? Roland White does.

Spencer
Feb-18-2005, 8:05am
I just started using a (white, if than makes any difference) Fender Heavy again. I wanted some more highs than all the thick picks I have were giving. Worked pretty well at our last jam, was brighter and cut through better. I have plenty of bass, so no real loss there. On my instrument, I think it gives a better balance.

Years ago I was told that Nate Bray used a Fender heavy and sharpened the point. He played a 50's F-12, VERY cleanly.

Spencer

Dfyngravity
Feb-18-2005, 10:06am
Currently I am using two different picks, a Dunlop "Gator" 1.14mm and the Clayton Triangle 1.00mm. I have used the Dunlop "Gator" for the last two years and so far it's my favortive mainly for the tone I get out of it. I like the Clayton mainly because of the large triangle shape it's in which makes griping the pick much easier.

glauber
Feb-18-2005, 11:16am
I like the Gator too; it was the first pick i tried, and it's a great all-purpose pick for mandolin. You might want to try the Ultex. I go through different picks sometimes, but eventually, i always go back to the Ultex. The Dunlop 207 is just about as good, but i think the Ultex has a slight edge, maybe because it comes in a comfortable triangle shape.

johnwalser
Feb-18-2005, 9:17pm
Fender standard shape all the way.
Extra Heavy for acoustic,
Heavy on Schwab four string electric,
and Medium on my mandolin banjo.
I keep trying other picks and haven't been struck by anything better. Recently tried "Dawg" picks and am amazed that anyone can produce enough sound from them to be heard. I must be a real wimp with my right hand!
John

Steve G
Feb-21-2005, 12:06pm
I had the same experience with the Dawgs, no volume so I gave them to someone who uses them because they say "Dawg" on them. I just tried the Dunlop Ultex 1.14 large triangles but they are'nt stiff enough. Any flex at all slows me down. One of these days I'll file down the points and see if I get a better result since I love the 1.14 teardrops for guitar. I keep going back to the Dunlop 207's. Plenty of volume there! Sometimes I'll use a Pro-Plec triangle for tunes that require a lot of tremolo like waltz's.

Dfyngravity
Feb-21-2005, 1:23pm
I have tried the "Dawg" as well and found the same thing, no volume. So what I did is I studied my picks that have been worn in and looked at the bevels on them. So I took my knife and I scraped down the sides of the Dawg pick to look just like my worn picks. Then I polished it up and made it smooth. Doing this actaully increased the volume considerably. I now use it every once in a while when I am looking for that certain tone or if there is a lot of tremolo in a song.

glauber- I will def. have to check out the Ultex picks, I really like the triangle shape. I wish they made the Gator in the triangle.

Bob Kellett
Feb-21-2005, 1:24pm
Wegen M150!!!

man doh
Feb-21-2005, 2:17pm
Pro Plec 1.5 mm (both triangle and teardrop)

Dawg pick

John Pearse (white with gold lettering) One side is like a teardrop and the other is like a triangle if you know what I mean. This has been my favorite in the past couple of months.

jcrews
Feb-23-2005, 12:05am
I use the David Grisman, myself. I find that picks with sharper egdes grab teh string too much to get a good tremolo.

jcrews
Feb-23-2005, 12:08am
I have tried the "Dawg" as well and found the same thing, no volume. So what I did is I studied my picks that have been worn in and looked at the bevels on them. So I took my knife and I scraped down the sides of the Dawg pick to look just like my worn picks. Then I polished it up and made it smooth. Doing this actaully increased the volume considerably. I now use it every once in a while when I am looking for that certain tone or if there is a lot of tremolo in a song.

glauber- I will def. have to check out the Ultex picks, I really like the triangle shape. I wish they made the Gator in the triangle.
That is odd, no volume...I have been told many times that my mandolin playing is very loud...maybe you just need to get used to them. They have a rounded edge, so you get less harmonics, I think, but my playing is always powerfully loud when I want it to be.

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-23-2005, 12:33am
dawgy gets my vote, though im thinking about some heavy, slightly rounder than the claytons type. any suggestions?

John Craton
Feb-23-2005, 9:10am
Someone sent me a Pettine pick the other day, and other than being thinner than what I'm used to it produces by far the best tone out of my instrument of any I've ever used. I don't believe these are still in production, but does anyone know whether someone is replicating these picks nowadays? I'd be very interested in knowing what the material composition is on these originals. Anyone out there tried to make one? Perhaps a little thicker? Please post your results if you have made any this style.

http://home.insightbb.com/~cratonkiwi/music/pettine.jpg

Greg H.
Feb-23-2005, 12:24pm
I'm pretty much standard Fender heavy's all the way ("if Tim O'Brian uses them then they must be good!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ). I like the sound of them--bright and crisp--and also if they come out of my pocket with my keys (which they seem to do with some regularity) I don't need to spend the next half hour on my knees in the grass looking for a lost pick. I won't even try tortose shell picks because if I got hooked on them I'd be broke within a week.

Yonkle
Oct-02-2005, 7:28pm
This one is my favorite, until I looked real close at it!

mandopete
Oct-03-2005, 9:46am
Here's my family of TS picks...

PatrickH
Oct-03-2005, 10:57am
Another vote for Wegen.

I use both the 1.0 (M100) and the 1.5 (M150) but prefer the M100 in most situations. They come in white and black so if you want both you can buy one gauge in one color and the other gauge in another color so you immediately know the difference.

Outstanding tone and immediate tremolo improvements.

bentonquest
Oct-03-2005, 11:06am
My .02 cents.
Fender Premium Celluliod (medium) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

earthsave
Oct-03-2005, 12:10pm
Mine looks like the 4th one from the Left in shape.

siren_20
Oct-03-2005, 12:29pm
For the last while I've really been digging the TF 140s by Wegen... they FORCE you to have really good right-hand technique, it's funny how a pick can affect your overall playing in such a positive manner when you think about the attack on the string.

muldoon
Oct-03-2005, 1:25pm
[QUOTE] I drill holes in mine.Usually a diamond shape with holes from a 3/32's bit in the area for your finger pads.Works for me.

I too drill holes in mine (Dunlop Unltex 1.0 and .88). It seems to keep the pick from spinning between my fingers.

AlanN
Oct-03-2005, 1:27pm
Nice picks, Pete.

mandopete
Oct-03-2005, 4:10pm
Mine looks like the 4th one from the Left in shape.
That would be the classic "DAWG" style. #These are all TS picks and are shaped after the Clayton, D'Andrea ProPleck and DAWG pick shapes. #I've found that I prefer the pointier Clayton shape most often.

David M.
Oct-03-2005, 4:18pm
My Vote: fender celluloid teardrop shape Heavy or X-Heavy.

Next in line: Ultex 1.0 or 1.14

Got a Wegen that everyone raves about, a white one, but can't stand this thing. i'd trade for it for some unused ultex's.

mandopete
Oct-03-2005, 4:37pm
And my favorite vanity pick...

mandopete
Oct-03-2005, 4:39pm
And my favorite celebrity pick...

mandopete
Oct-03-2005, 4:41pm
And last (certainly least) the highy sought-after Stillaguamish River Picks (no endangered species used in the making of these babies!)...

Left to Right - Mandolin Size, Double-Bass Size

mandoman15
Oct-03-2005, 7:03pm
what are they made of?

kyblue
Oct-03-2005, 8:07pm
I love my TS pick, Clayton style.

jasona
Oct-03-2005, 8:18pm
what are they made of?
Looks like slate to me.

Doug Edwards
Oct-03-2005, 10:06pm
Dang Pete, looks like you've been in my case.
My favorite are the TS, but I also like Buffalo Horn and the new Tortis picks. Mood, strings and where I'm playing dictates the pick of the day. Phases of the moon sometimes come into play.

mandopete
Oct-04-2005, 9:25am
Phases of the moon sometimes come into play.
Amen to that! I find that having a variety of picks is sort of like having a got set of fishing lures. If they ain't biting, change yer bait!

Roger Mace
Oct-06-2005, 2:19pm
Someone sent me a Pettine pick the other day, and other than being thinner than what I'm used to it produces by far the best tone out of my instrument of any I've ever used. I don't believe these are still in production, but does anyone know whether someone is replicating these picks nowadays? #

http://home.insightbb.com/~cratonkiwi/music/pettine.jpg
I also have a Pettine pick now a bit more rounded at the tip from use. #I've added a speed bevel also. #If used upside down, its a perfect chop-pick and great for chording in general. #?? - has anyone responded to this post - ?? #Are there any more somewhat like this available?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

racuda
Oct-06-2005, 6:26pm
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/Two-Pettine-Mandolin-Pick-Picks_W0QQitemZ7354464501QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1
QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">This</a> eBay acution is about to end with no takers, but the seller will probably re-list.
He says it's new old stock.

glauber
Oct-06-2005, 7:33pm
$9.99 for 2 pieces of plastic with no specifications, is a little steep. He doesn't even say if he made those, or if he's reselling. Relisted here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7356217604).

racuda
Oct-06-2005, 7:47pm
$9.99 for 2 pieces of plastic with no specifications, is a little steep. He doesn't even say if he made those, or if he's reselling. Relisted here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7356217604).
Operaguy said "it produces by far the best tone out of my instrument of any I've ever used" If true, then $9.99 is a small price to pay! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Roger Mace
Oct-06-2005, 7:55pm
This is where I got mine and they are almost out - the remaining stock from Plucked Strings. That is why I was wondering if there was any current supplier or maker of this style pick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

glauber
Oct-06-2005, 8:46pm
Aw hail... i thought i wasn't buying any more picks...

Dang you, Adam Sandler!

Dano Reible
Oct-06-2005, 10:04pm
Ok I know I am new to the mandolin but here goes;

I ordered in three dozen picks to try them out and see if I could tell the diff. I got in:

12 D'Andrea Pro-Plec 1.5mm Rounded Triangle Guitar Picks $8.66
12 Golden Gate Large Triangle Turtle Picks $14.99
12 Golden Gate Rounded Triangle Mandolin Picks $8.99
and I ordered a custom buttom pick when I ordered my Eastman

The most expensive and what I was expecting to be the hot pick due to it being "most like turtle shell" and thinking that like so many things in life, you get what you pay for, was thin sounding and seamed too thick and I did not like the twist or curve it has.

The next was the other Golden Gate "dawg" style which I thought had a warmer smoother tone with it well rounded edges but found the pick rolling over the strings if I was not very carful.

The custom Button pick is all I had to start with and I was thinking would stand up as my favorite due to being the only pick I had used. While I do like the custom button pick quite well the D'Andrea Pro-Plec 1.5mm Rounded Triangle Guitar Pick is by far my favorite. The stifness seams perfect and the sound seam much fuller to me with more body and it seams to almost grab the strings giving great volume and almost an attacking motion when working the scales up and down the strings. More control to me and at $8.66 (now they are on sale for $5.99 a dozen they are less expensive to boot.

I realise that I may change my oppinion with time and as I learn to play but I am truely shocked at how I could tell such a diff and have such a strong prefrence with so little time on the strings. Take this for what it is worth but I thought I would share my test results.

So now I have a hand shaped custom button pick $10.
12 Golden Gate Large Triangle Turtle Picks $14.99
12 Golden Gate Rounded Triangle Mandolin Picks $8.99
Thats $33.98 plus shipping worth of picks I would be happy to trade for a Loren Bailey Double Braid leather strap which is $20. shipped. Anyone intrested let me know. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

biscuit
Oct-16-2005, 1:15pm
I have one of the tortis picks it's about 1.0 triangle with a speed bevel I love this thing but I have been trying to stop useing it because they are $20.00. I like the ultex but I can't find any of the triangle shape. I think the tortis is the best the tone is great and for some reason I can hold on to it with no trouble. What I need to do is just stop being cheap and use the tortis. Let me ask this if I use the ultex I like the .73 it seems I can control it better. I know this is not what most of you say. But is there any reason not to use a med pick.

dochardee
Oct-19-2005, 4:11pm
Favorite pick was the Ultex 1.14 mm until I broke down and tried a Tortis. Expensive, but better sound ... should last forever though. I use the style "B" medium gauge with the speed bevel. The "mondo" is too sensitive (for me anyways) to the angle you hold the pick face relative to the string, has to be exactly parallel for best tone. But that sensitivity can let you create more tone colours if you can live with it.

Michael Weaver
Oct-21-2005, 12:23pm
I have buddy that goes to garage sales and finds old combs and makeup cases that were made of tortoise. He cuts them with a dremel and then buffs the edges. I have not found a better sounding pick! Give it a try! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mando4Life
Oct-21-2005, 12:27pm
from another thread....my fave 3...guess which is my #1 fave http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Gaelen
Oct-26-2005, 11:39am
Wegen M150

Gregg Boyd ivoroid rounded triangle

Guitar if anyone here is interested ? Wegen Bluegrass 1.4, Clayton small teardrop 1.52, Dunlop 205

glauber
Oct-26-2005, 12:11pm
Still F1 (http://www.f1pick.com/). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ronlane3
Oct-26-2005, 9:46pm
What?? There are other types of picks other than TS and graphite?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

Doug Edwards
Oct-27-2005, 1:27pm
Call me bored, but since I borrowed the mini-disk I a - b'd several of my favorites. In the photo, left to right & top to bottom, Buffalo horn, Golden Gate, med TS, Dunlop 207, Tortis B, heavy TS. Since these are all med to heavy picks, there is not a big difference in tone between them. A lot of times the biggest difference is between my ears. Today I have a headcold and everything sounds the same. Please excuse the feeble attempt at picking.

A & B (http://webpages.charter.net/dedwards51/mp3/rec1027-123021.mp3)

C & D (http://webpages.charter.net/dedwards51/mp3/rec1027-123110.mp3)

E & F (http://webpages.charter.net/dedwards51/mp3/rec1027-123159.mp3)

earthsave
Oct-27-2005, 1:33pm
My ear caint tell the difference... I use a heavy TS and the D207... the Golden Gate and Dawg are too rounded for my liking.

Roger Mace
Oct-27-2005, 2:06pm
YMMV - From just listening, pick B sounds the "fuzziest" and pick F the clearest or cleanist to me - especially on the tremolos.

muldoon
Oct-27-2005, 2:11pm
[QUOTE] Your tone and your speed will likely improve with a lighter grip also.

My favorite is the Dunlop Ultex 1.0 Triangular followed by the 1.14 Ultex. I used to use a small teardrop pick but it would spin between my fingers. I would end up with the point actually pointing back toward the bridge. I don't seem to have that problem with the Triangular shaped Unltex.

I also drill small holes in it to help hold on to the pick. I agree with what Mando Johnny said about an improvement in tone and speed by using a lighter grip, especially tone. I have never dropped a pick but I am guilty of gripping too tight at times.

Learning to "play hard" as Johnny says while holding a light grip is a trick indeed.

Steve

Milan Christi
Oct-27-2005, 2:12pm
I was at my favorite music hangout near Heidelberg last week and picked up a couple picks made from horse hoof. (not sure of the Stateside legality but they're legal here.) You can laugh if you want but they sound pretty darned nice. I need to put some more bevel on them. They could become my fave - the sound is very bright but very full.

Doug Edwards
Oct-27-2005, 2:18pm
Pick F is my most favorite pick as I always seem to come back to it. It is a heavy TS about .063 inch. Pick E, the Tortis B, is just a little brighter sounding but feels about the same. The Horn has less pick noise and is really good when your new strings sound too bright.

Mark Walker
Oct-27-2005, 2:27pm
I must be a simpleton - I use a Jim Dunlop 1mm nylon on my mandolin, my flat-top dreadnaught 6-string, and my Alvarez 12-string. In fact, I've got a couple spares in my pocket this minute - I carry them everywhere.

ronlane3
Oct-27-2005, 9:38pm
Doug, I hear difference in each one. The horn to me is the tinniest one of all and the one I like the least. I like F the best followed by C & E in no order. Your tem seemed better with the F, but I like the tone of F,C & E.

By the way that is a nice job of picking the same on 6 different takes.

Doug Edwards
Oct-27-2005, 10:36pm
Thanks ronlane3. Pick C is about .051 inch TS. I can play a lot better, but put me in front of a mic or crowd and I'm garranteed to freeze up or kick in the after burners and speed up somewhere. I think the best I ever played in front of an audience was when I accidentally stabbed my left hand with a knife two days prior to playing. I had two Vicoden in me at the time. I don't think thats a viable solution to freezing up, but it worked that time.

Stephanie Reiser
Oct-28-2005, 5:03am
I use mostly Dunlop 1.14mm, but different ones. And I can detect a unique and subtle difference in them all. I use one certain pick for solo-type playing, and another when I am bluegrass jamming once a month with the group. I asked my partner in the other room once if she could detect a difference, too, and she could.

tree
Oct-28-2005, 7:55am
Tortis "tri-tip", speed bevel on all three corners. #Gives me a round, pointy, and in-between pick all in one. #The pointy tip really brightens the tone, the round tip is great for fast picking, and the in-between one is my choice for all-around picking. #If I'm having a bad day with one tip, all I have to do is rotate the pick in my hand for a completely different feel, which is often enough to make a difference in my picking.:)

jayn
Oct-28-2005, 2:08pm
In my limited experience picking mandolin, the Wegen M150 sounds the best to me by far. But, I find the shape uncomfortable for chopping out the chords (it's the way I hold it...too much fingertip hitting the strings which hurts after awhile). So, I switched to the triangle shape...first a Clayton Ultem 1.2mm, then a Tortis C at around 1.5mm. I still wish both were thicker, but they will do. I have a fairly bright mandolin, so I prefer pretty thick picks.

Strange1
Oct-28-2005, 10:34pm
I must be in the minority. I may even be the only picker in existance that uses a thin pick on my mandolin and Guitar. I prefer the Dunlop .48mm nylon. Don't know why, just do

Jack

jim_n_virginia
Oct-29-2005, 7:49pm
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/Two-Pettine-Mandolin-Pick-Picks_W0QQitemZ7354464501QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1

QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">This</a> eBay acution is about to end with no takers, but the seller will probably re-list.
$2.00 postage for a couple of picks? Man he could mail them to you in a envelope. sheesh! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

jim_n_virginia
Oct-29-2005, 7:52pm
I think I have tried almost every kind of pick in the world and I came back to Fender Heavys. I like the Confetti colored ones and I play them on the rounded shoulders when I chop and he tip for fast pickin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Steve G
Oct-30-2005, 9:37pm
Extra heavy Pro-Plecs, large triangle for me. I always come back to those after every new pick phase.

racuda
Oct-30-2005, 10:24pm

$2.00 postage for a couple of picks? Man he could mail them to you in a envelope. sheesh! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
Yeah, I guess he is overcharging by a dollar or so... The nerve!

glauber
Oct-30-2005, 10:46pm

$2.00 postage for a couple of picks? Man he could mail them to you in a envelope. sheesh! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
She does mail them in an envelope, and if you don't like the price, you can always buy something else instead, right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I bought a couple of these because of this thread. Interesting, but too thin for me. I'm keeping them anyway, for reference, because these are not being made anymore.

Think of the $2 as shipping and handling. It covers the price of the stamp, envelope, and the person's time mailing it to you.

I think this seller has a bunch of Pettine picks, and she's selling them 2 at a time through these eBay auctions. Not sure why. Maybe she doesn't want them to go too fast.

A9cp
Oct-31-2005, 9:02pm
I always come back to Fender Heavys or Gibson Heavys

joshro78
Nov-02-2005, 12:18pm
mandopete,
I'm glad someone still loves my Martha pick. I thought I'd never see her again. She looks pretty good, although that was a pre-prison picture.
thanks for the surprise and laugh!

red7flag
Nov-03-2005, 10:16am
My favorite for playing mando is the Jim Dunlop Big Stubby. I expecially like the ones that are steel blue and not at all translucent, as they have a less "plastic" feel, but I have found them hard to find. The only place I have found them is Gruin Guitar. I find they really get a good tortoisy sound, without paying $40.
Tony

ira
Nov-04-2005, 10:43am
these days- dunlop utlex .88 rounded triangle:
material/bevel offers great tone without volume sacrifice

big enough to hold on to and material
doesn't slip even with my sweaty
paws

thick enough for power, flexible enough for touch

have never used a single pick brand/type for this long ( 3 months or so)
love em

glauber
Nov-04-2005, 12:42pm
I went through a lot of my previous fav picks again last night, for fun. I retried the Petine, and found it really very good this time (although it feels too small in my fingers). Most of my opinions haven't changed, although this time i prefered the Dunlop "Gator" 1.14 (blue) over the 2mm Big Stubby. Still like the Ultex/Ultem. Still think the Proplec is nice but without bite. Still like the thunk of the "Adamas" graphite, but not the pick noise that comes with it. And in the end, didn't find good reason to stop using the F1...

So right now, in order, i think:

(1) F1 - black of fake tortoise
(2) Dunlop Gator 1.14
(3) Ultex 1.14 or Ultem 1.2 in triangle shape
(4) Petine
(5) 2mm Big Stubby

Albert9181
Nov-05-2005, 5:34am
anyone know what pick monsieur Thile uses?

jmarshall58
Nov-05-2005, 7:55pm
Time to log in on this. Right now, depending on the tone I want, I'm bouncing between the Dunlop Big Stubby and a Dunlop Gel extra heavy. Ny guitars are using 1mm Wedges (lighter gauge on 12 string. These are nice with a grest grip due to the thumb indentation but they don't give the tone for mando. I agree that as much as I like the feel of the Dawg or Golden Gate they sound muddy. Kinda like a fiddle with a mute.

dr.jazz
Nov-20-2005, 3:16pm
Picks are like a tone-control for me. I've settled on a few that I carry at all times.
Wegen MM-200 (not common, but he made a bunch for me) used on Mandolin
Wegen Trimus 250 - mostly for guitar - very fast pick
TorTis - Tri-Tip Heavy. Guitar and Mandolin- a very useful pick
Mike MacLeod
&lt;www.acousticguitar.net&gt; The Acoustic Guitar

bradeinhorn
Nov-21-2005, 10:34am
207!

straight-a
Nov-21-2005, 10:51am
Fender 351 Extra Heavy. I use them on mandolin and guitar. The only pick for me! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

fredfrank
Nov-21-2005, 7:48pm
Oddly enough, when I was recording the other day, my favorite pick (Tortis) didn't sound good at all. I ended up using an Ultex triangle 1.14. It seems like when I'm on a hot mic and hearing it through headphones, my favorite is too clicky. Good thing I've got about a bazillion picks in my case.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

James P
Nov-22-2005, 5:29pm
We had a pick "tasting" here last night. The winner was an amber Jim Dunlop X-H.

glauber
Nov-22-2005, 6:13pm
We had a pick "tasting" here last night. The winner was an amber Jim Dunlop X-H.
What did it taste like?

James P
Nov-22-2005, 6:39pm
It tasted woody. A full bodied flavor graced with notes of smoky mountain haze. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fredfrank
Nov-22-2005, 7:25pm
I have some of those, and I, too like them. Are these the ones they call gel picks? My impression was that by itself, it was pretty good, but when you get with a jam or a band they don't really cut through as well as some others.

James P
Nov-25-2005, 10:11pm
That's my impression too. They're kinda quiet and dark and that suits me well as most of the guys I play w/ aren't all that loud. In looking for deeper picks I'm probably compensating for having an Eastman that's a bit on the "bright" side, even tho' it's mellowing nicely as time goes on.

Trying out a few more picks since the tasting and I can see why folks like the Heavy Fenders. They've got a deep, warm tone that's a bit sharper than the X-H. To me they sound more precise. Interesting to read all these posts.

mandoman15
Dec-01-2005, 4:01pm
thile uses a strange kind of goldengate, i dont know the specs
but basically it dosen't matter, he could pick with week dead hedgehog and still sound better than me...

PatrickH
Dec-01-2005, 4:30pm
Chris Thile uses Wegen picks.

Denny Lytle
Dec-01-2005, 5:05pm
Tortis heavy "C" with the speed bevel.

mandopete
Dec-01-2005, 6:47pm
Oddly enough, when I was recording the other day, my favorite pick (Tortis) didn't sound good at all.
Man, ain't that the truth! #It just goes to show you that you really need more than one type of pick or pick shape. #For the pat year I had been using a Clayton tri-corner tortoise-shell pick, but upon hearng a recorded sample it sounded "thin". #I went back to it's predecessor, a d'Andrea shaped tortoise and all was well. #At times I have even gone to a DAWG shaped pick, but find they are diffcult to control fo me. #That's why I always carry an arsenel of pick shapes, but find I've become addicted to tortoise.

mandolin123
Dec-01-2005, 10:10pm
big fat and a gob of gorilla snot