PDA

View Full Version : Schertler for Fiddle

iampeterfonda
Feb-16-2005, 2:14pm
I was wondering if anyone has had direct experience with the Schertler DYN-V or STAT-V.

I m a big fan of Schertler products and use the DYN-M on my mandolin. In my experience it is by far the best pick up for mandolin out there and comments
from other users is overwhelmingly positive (except for the price). The DYN-M is very big in the mandolin probably due to Chris Thile but after a lot of searching it doesn t come up much in the fiddle world.

I d appreciate any comments on the Schertler products for fiddle and how they compare with the Baggs.

Also has anyone used the DYN-M for fiddle?

Thanks

David M.
Feb-16-2005, 3:06pm
If you can't find an answer here, try www.fiddleforum.com and ask under the Equipment section. Or, under the section for amplified strings. Sorry, I can't help you.

Yellowmandolin
Feb-16-2005, 7:03pm
I would try the DYN-M on your fiddle and see how it sounds. It is probably close to what the violin model is.

mandroid
Feb-16-2005, 10:58pm
http://www.schertlerusa.com/stat.htm electrostatic mech is different, from dyn coil setup, its active aparently as it needs a 9v battery. ask : Schertler USA
218 Main Street #110
Kirkland, WA 98033-6108
chris@schertler.com
Phone: (866) 724-3785
Phone: (425) 822-0102
Fax: (425) 822- 0739

Mando Medic
Feb-17-2005, 12:23am
I sell, use and install most pickups in the market place. My personal opinion is that the Schertler is a little dry for me and a little mid rangy. You can correct it with a decent preamp, such as a Baggs Parametric DI or , Rane AP 13, etc; My preference is the L.R. Baggs pickup. Alone it needs a preamp but alone it sounds most natural and will not impede the tone of the instrument when not plugged in. The Baggs and a microphone are suggested. Kenc

iampeterfonda
Feb-17-2005, 9:54am
Thanks Mando Medic,

Which one is a little dry for you? The DYN-V or STAT-V? Also, I was told that bridge mounted pickups will often be overly sensitive to bow changes. Any thoughts on that? I mostly play Celtic so it's a lot of short fast bowings.

Clayton

Pete Martin
Feb-17-2005, 4:57pm
I loike the dyn piuckup on my fiddle, but you have to experiment with placement a LOT.

Mando Medic
Feb-17-2005, 11:42pm
The DYN-V is a little dry to me. Kenc