PDA

View Full Version : help buying a mandolin

James40287
Feb-15-2005, 8:24pm
hey fellow musicians...i've been playing guitar for about a year now and have been interested in buying a mandolin for a while now. i'm pretty sure i will pretty serious about learning how to play...so i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what mandolin i should get because i'm not sure my ear is trained enough yet for me to really tell what a good sounding mandolin is(i know this differs with everybody). I'm thinking i will be buying one in the $300-$400 range...maybe...i'm not really up on which companies make better mandolins in this price range...thanks guys...lookin forward to what suggestions you guys might have.

James

fatt-dad
Feb-15-2005, 8:53pm
Welcome James40287!

You will find alot of great advice hear. Even after you get your mandolin, the MandolinCafe is a great place to learn about technique, practice tips and great recorded music.

f-d

Adam Tracksler
Feb-16-2005, 7:17am
I was in the same boat as you. I ended up getting a Rover RM-75. I amvery happy with it, and you would be hard pressed to find a better F in your price range. Do a search for RM75 and you can research it more.

good luck and happy pickin'
--ad

Hondo
Feb-16-2005, 9:37am
A used Mid-Missouri's a good bet. Check out the classifieds.

Stephen Perry
Feb-16-2005, 12:28pm
The better Kentucky work pretty well. I like the KM380S OK. Even response, no flaws that bug me. Sound is a bit thin, but better than the majority at that low price point. They do take setting up to work well, which a better shop will do already. The difference between specialty shop buying and eBay.

GnomeGrown
Feb-16-2005, 1:17pm
welcome-->
You will enjoy your time here, promise!

I was in the same boat a few months ago....Based on Cafe Comments, i landed a deal on a nice Michael Kelly solid, no complaints here!

Also, check with fatt-Dad, he posts often and has some nice mandos for sale....I seriously considered one of his...

at any rate, happy huntin and pickin!

James40287
Feb-16-2005, 6:45pm
thanks guys for all your input. i'm thinking unless i find a used one that's looks to be worth buying, i'm looking at the kentucky's..either the KM-340S or KM-380S depending on how much my parents feel like spendings. does anybody have any other thoughts on these mandolins or just on other mandolins that might be interested in? thanks

james

Stephen Perry
Feb-16-2005, 6:57pm
The Kentuckys need some setup out of the box, so make sure whoever you get one from does some setup.

newblue
Feb-17-2005, 1:01pm
Steve wont say it, but He's a real stand up guy, very active here. I'd check out what he has for sale, at Giannaviolins.com